We would avoid travel to Egypt

Hlitner

With elections in Egypt coming this May and June, let's hope the area stays peaceful. The first round of elections is May 23 and 24 with a probable runoff in June.

4/18/2012: Egypt's looming showdown

The banning of Islamist presidential candidates could bring violence back into the streets.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-menon-egypt-election-chaos-20120418,0,7518192.story

Hi BridgeMates, are you on the Solstice Barcelona to Dubai, if you are, then we are on the same one and we are also worried that Celebrity will cancel, just hope they give us lots of notice if they do. We are from the UK and at present Brits are still going on holiday to Egypt and our Foreign Office are not advising against it. I think I am more concerned about cruising on the approaches to Dubai through Pirate territory then I am about Egypt.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, it's the Oct 26th cruise. We already have a large roll call so come on over and join us (Solstice Repo Cruise). Great itinerary. Crossing our fingers we get to the Egyptian ports and Petra. Oh yes, and Dubai.......!

We just returned from a land tour of Jordan and Egypt. In Egypt, we spent time in Cairo and took a three day Nile cruise between Aswan and Luxor.

At no time in Egypt did we feel unsafe. In fact, it is an incredible time to be there and learn about the evolving political situation first hand. The sites are less crowded now and everyone is grateful for the tourist spending. We felt it was a win-win situation and a trip of a lifetime not be be missed.

We just returned from a land tour of Jordan and Egypt. In Egypt, we spent time in Cairo and took a three day Nile cruise between Aswan and Luxor.

At no time in Egypt did we feel unsafe. In fact, it is an incredible time to be there and learn about the evolving political situation first hand. The sites are less crowded now and everyone is grateful for the tourist spending. We felt it was a win-win situation and a trip of a lifetime not be be missed.

I am glad you had no problems. With elections coming soon it's possible for problems to crop up. Only today there were some more protests.

4/28/2012: CAIRO: Hundreds of Egyptians protested in Cairo yesterday against what they said was a bid to bring back deposed President Hosni Mubarak's old guard..

...Thousands turned out in Egypt's second city of Alexandria and hundreds in other cities for the Islamist-led protest.

The Muslim Brotherhood, Egypt's biggest Islamist group that already dominates parliament, called for the demonstration to prevent “a delay in handing over power in June and to protest at the attempt to revive the corrupt former regime.”

http://arabnews.com/middleeast/article619718.ece

Protests and injuries now occurred over the weekend. Expect more as the elections near and maybe more cruise ship cancellations.

4/30/2012: Violence re-erupts in Egypt again

CAIRO: More than 90 people were wounded in overnight clashes between Salafist protesters and residents of a Cairo neighbourhood, the Egyptian health ministry said on Sunday. ...

http://gulftoday.ae/portal/25f8c20b-a74a-4e72-b37f-ef7a724ee2be.aspx

and

4/30/2012: Islamists suspend parliament in Egypt

"...CAIRO // Egypt's parliament yesterday suspended sessions for a week in protest at the ruling generals' refusal to dismiss the military-appointed government....Its suspension came after a night of violence in central Cairo, where demonstrators outside the defence ministry calling for an end to military rule were attacked with rocks and firebombs. One protester died and 30 were hurt...."

http://www.thenational.ae/news/world/middle-east/islamists-suspend-parliament-in-egypt

Protests and injuries now occurred over the weekend. Expect more as the elections near and maybe more cruise ship cancellations.

4/30/2012: Violence re-erupts in Egypt again

CAIRO: More than 90 people were wounded in overnight clashes between Salafist protesters and residents of a Cairo neighbourhood, the Egyptian health ministry said on Sunday. ...

http://gulftoday.ae/portal/25f8c20b-a74a-4e72-b37f-ef7a724ee2be.aspx

and

4/30/2012: Islamists suspend parliament in Egypt

"...CAIRO // Egypt's parliament yesterday suspended sessions for a week in protest at the ruling generals' refusal to dismiss the military-appointed government....Its suspension came after a night of violence in central Cairo, where demonstrators outside the defence ministry calling for an end to military rule were attacked with rocks and firebombs. One protester died and 30 were hurt...."

http://www.thenational.ae/news/world/middle-east/islamists-suspend-parliament-in-egypt

Some positive articles to read:

TripAdvisor: "You will find security situation in Egypt (as in many countries) is frequently exaggerated by Western media outlets, creating a negative impressions that is somewhat amplified by the heavy-handed policies of Egyptian authorities in keeping tourists safe. The reality is that travelling in Egypt is probably no more hazardous, with regard to terrorism, than visiting most Western capitals (and probably a lot safer!)"

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294200-c84735/Egypt:Safety.In.Egypt.html

Peter Greenberg, Travel Editor for CBS News: "I've been traveling to Egypt since I was 24 and I can never get enough of it. One thing is consistent: Every time I tell friends I'm going to Egypt, they always say: "Be careful," "Be safe" or, quite recently, "Are you nuts?"

I am not crazy. I've always said that the best time to visit a destination is immediately after a civil disturbance or a natural disaster. The worst four-letter word starting with "f" is "fear," and Americans know no shortage of it when it comes to making their travel choices. They are directly motivated by it. I put my money where my mouth is...and I go."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/peter-greenberg/the-travel-detective-on-t_b_1205841.html

About.com, Africa Travel: "As is often the case, most of the violent action takes place in the cities, and Egypt's capital Cairo was no exception in January 2011. But it's hard to avoid Cairo when you visit Egypt, since the pyramids are there as well as the wonderful Egyptian Musuem. Check current news reports before you plan your Cairo portion of the trip, just to be sure it's OK to visit the sights without fear of running into a demonstration. Things were hotting up again a year later, in early 2012."

http://goafrica.about.com/od/egypt/f/Is-It-Safe-To-Travel-To-Egypt.htm

• 2 weeks later...
Certainly understand what you guys are saying; however, we are very excited about our cruise that includes two overnights in Egypt in late October. Obviously we won't be able to go if things don't settle down in the next few months. I just hope Celebrity doesn't change/cancel anything this far out. We have put off going over there for the last few years and finally decided to just do it. Keep your fingers crossed for us!

I still have hopes. :):):)

Azamara has canceled Egypt on us 4 times (including 2011 - twice, 2012, and 2013). I had thought it was a RCCL decision. I just found out a couple of days ago that Celebrity is still scheduled to call on Egypt this year. I am surprised.

Note that HAL has not been canceling it's Egypt ports, but RCCL/Celebrity/Azamara has in the past year.

Was this with A&K?

Ok, I see this was with A&K. We went with them to Antarctica.

Was this with A&K?

Ok, I see this was with A&K. We went with them to Antarctica.

I'd cancel and re-book with another cruiseline if I were you. Or even better - book your own flight and then a Nile river cruise. You can then judge the situation in Cairo and book a day trip for the museum and pyramids. At least then you'd have a local guide with his ear to the ground.

Or even better - book your own flight and then a Nile river cruise....have a local guide with his ear to the ground.

We were scheduled to visit Egypt (Alexandria, for an overnight) with Azamara last May. The port got pulled, but we stayed with the cruise anyway (we enjoyed the rest of the ports, and Azamara was great). We then went with a land tour (A&K) this past March. I can honestly say I'm *glad* it worked out that way. We got more time in Egypt, got to see more things, had a wonderful 3-night Nile cruise (stopping at various temples and sites along the way), and got to Jordan as part of the trip. I think Egypt honestly deserves way more than even an overnight port visit.

As a bonus, there are a lot of discounts being offered right now, precisely because tourism is down.

We were scheduled to visit Egypt (Alexandria, for an overnight) with Azamara last May. The port got pulled, but we stayed with the cruise anyway (we enjoyed the rest of the ports, and Azamara was great). We then went with a land tour (A&K) this past March. I can honestly say I'm *glad* it worked out that way. We got more time in Egypt, got to see more things, had a wonderful 3-night Nile cruise (stopping at various temples and sites along the way), and got to Jordan as part of the trip. I think Egypt honestly deserves way more than even an overnight port visit.

As a bonus, there are a lot of discounts being offered right now, precisely because tourism is down.

We were suppose to be on the April repositioning cruise on Azamara last year and as you know Eqypt was pulled. We then switched to October and Egypt was pulled again but we stayed on the cruise since we had not been to Israel or Cyprus. We then booked Egypt and Jordan later this year and Azamara canceled and changed it to a Italy and Croatia cruise, and rebooked for next Oct 2013 and received notice from our ta that the entire itinerary (with Luxor) was being pulled and again changed to a Med cruise with Italy..

I had contacted A&K last week and am waiting for next years pricing, which they said was going up. We are still working and just got off a 22 night South America cruise. They are changing the Egypt Moment in History to a 3 night nile cruise next year instead of the 4 night. But, it is probably the same 3 night you went on with Jordan included. Do you have any idea what is skipped with the 3 night versus 4 night nile cruise? Are you glad you went to Jordan instead of spending more time in Egypt? Did your tour include the Seti I tomb in Luxor which is not open to the general public?

Another question, did you enjoy having a Tour Director with you? I know A&K is first class since we have traveled with them, but I put so many private tours together (including recent overnight to MP for a group of 6) that I am afraid it might be too much hand holding for me. I don't mean the local guides but "Tour Director" (Was this an American?). What was your impression? I like the idea of the 4 night (instead of 3 night) cruise if we are going to fly there.

I'd cancel and re-book with another cruiseline if I were you. Or even better - book your own flight and then a Nile river cruise. You can then judge the situation in Cairo and book a day trip for the museum and pyramids. At least then you'd have a local guide with his ear to the ground.

I am having trouble finding the right itinerary. I don't trust Celebrity and feel they could pull the ports last minute. HAL would be a possibility but all of the other ports are repeats (No Luxor and/or Jordan on a 10-15 night cruise). So, still looking for the right opportunity, ideally in the beginning of 2013. I will take any suggestions.

Do you have any idea what is skipped with the 3 night versus 4 night nile cruise?

You see the same stuff on the 3-night as you do the 4-night, it's just compressed within fewer days. Part of this is undoubtedly the river; I imagine it's slower going against the current - Luxor to Aswan, 4 nights, upriver vs. Aswan to Luxor, 3 nights, downriver. We didn't feel rushed. Well, I would've spent more time in the Valley of the Kings. Your ticket gets you 3 tombs, plus we got a couple of special ones on extra tickets. It's the kind of place I would've spent a full day at though, if we were on our own!

Did your tour include the Seti I tomb in Luxor which is not open to the general public?

It did not.

Are you glad you went to Jordan instead of spending more time in Egypt?

I definitely wanted Jordan. I *loved* Petra, and Jerash (vast Roman ruins that I didn't even know about until I read a guidebook before we went) was very nice. There were a couple of other stops that were interesting and might be even more so if you're religious (Mt Nebo, where Moses overlooked the promised land, and the River Jordan spot where Christ was baptized). A very old mosaic map of the area on the floor of a church. We spent a night at a resort by the Dead Sea, which was very posh. Truth be told, though, I would've rather gone to Wadi Rum and camped that night!

Another question, did you enjoy having a Tour Director with you? I

The Tour Directors are only there to do the arrangements for you - meet you at the airports (INSIDE security :eek: - that's pull! All the other tours met outside). Get you into the van; check you into the hotel. Deal with your luggage at the airport. Oh, heavens....boy did all that spoil me! I travel a lot on my own for business; it would be wonderful to have someone like that dealing with all the crap! They do not stay with you at other times. The guides handle things on the excursions - all the tickets, etc. Our guide in Egypt was Dina Omar - she was wonderful. Lots of insight into the current situation. She got us the tickets to go inside the Great Pyramid, and made arrangements with one of the camel touts because we all wanted to do a camel ride at the pyramids. :D Dealt with one of the souvenir sellers so that we wouldn't attract a crowd if we wanted something. Best of Egypt IMO are the temples at Karnak and Abu Simbel.

We also are still working, and our travel is constrained by my husband's vacation time (less so by mine). We wanted a trip that hit the highlights, and did it in an efficient manner.

If you email me at azevedan(at)yahoo(dot)com, I can send you our writeup about the trip and also links to my pictures, if you're interested.

I should also add - we were very spoiled...only 6 on our tour, and all were nice. As I mentioned - tourism is down!

Thank you for all the details. I will definitely email you, hopefully in the next week.

How lucky with only 6 on the tour!

You see the same stuff on the 3-night as you do the 4-night, it's just compressed within fewer days. Part of this is undoubtedly the river; I imagine it's slower going against the current - Luxor to Aswan, 4 nights, upriver vs. Aswan to Luxor, 3 nights, downriver. We didn't feel rushed. Well, I would've spent more time in the Valley of the Kings. Your ticket gets you 3 tombs, plus we got a couple of special ones on extra tickets. It's the kind of place I would've spent a full day at though, if we were on our own!

It did not.

I definitely wanted Jordan. I *loved* Petra, and Jerash (vast Roman ruins that I didn't even know about until I read a guidebook before we went) was very nice. There were a couple of other stops that were interesting and might be even more so if you're religious (Mt Nebo, where Moses overlooked the promised land, and the River Jordan spot where Christ was baptized). A very old mosaic map of the area on the floor of a church. We spent a night at a resort by the Dead Sea, which was very posh. Truth be told, though, I would've rather gone to Wadi Rum and camped that night!

The Tour Directors are only there to do the arrangements for you - meet you at the airports (INSIDE security :eek: - that's pull! All the other tours met outside). Get you into the van; check you into the hotel. Deal with your luggage at the airport. Oh, heavens....boy did all that spoil me! I travel a lot on my own for business; it would be wonderful to have someone like that dealing with all the crap! They do not stay with you at other times. The guides handle things on the excursions - all the tickets, etc. Our guide in Egypt was Dina Omar - she was wonderful. Lots of insight into the current situation. She got us the tickets to go inside the Great Pyramid, and made arrangements with one of the camel touts because we all wanted to do a camel ride at the pyramids. :D Dealt with one of the souvenir sellers so that we wouldn't attract a crowd if we wanted something. Best of Egypt IMO are the temples at Karnak and Abu Simbel.

We also are still working, and our travel is constrained by my husband's vacation time (less so by mine). We wanted a trip that hit the highlights, and did it in an efficient manner.

If you email me at azevedan(at)yahoo(dot)com, I can send you our writeup about the trip and also links to my pictures, if you're interested.

My Egypt/Jordan trip in 2009 was through AdventureWomen. AW had contracted out A&K to provide the hard product. It was absolutely fantastic!! We were treated like royal princesses! A&K had the "Tour Directors" like described above. Our Egyptologist traveled with us for the entire Egypt portion of the trip. She was amazing. Since we were a group of women, she was particularly keen to provide insight on the role of women in Egypt throughout history. One day on the boat (the Nile Adventurer - a small boutique boat), on our request, she met with those of us who were interested in discussing current politics and how women were involved. In Jordan, we had the "Tour directors" again to get us through C&I in both directions. Our Jordan expert again traveled with us the entire trip. He was excellent, providing us again with insight on the role of women in the country. I loved Jeresh and all the ruins. Petra was the main reason I really wanted this trip and it did not disappoint. Mt. Nebo did have some special meaning for me and I did enjoy visiting. The church with the mosaic is in Madaba. It's a small Greek Orthodox church, but the mosaic map is still extremely colorful and amazingly accurate for the time. We did the jeep thing through Wadi Rum and stopped at one of the tourist camps for lunch. It would have been so cool to have spent the night - I could only imagine what it was like to be out in the middle of the desert!!!

A & K provided a very polished product. I'm not a tour person - I prefer to go it alone. But, for this trip, I chose the group trip. I didn't feel like I was led around by the nose in a typical tour group. It was intimate and educational. Now, there were only 16 of us, so I can only speak for my small group experience.

We've just returned home form our cruise, which included a per-cruise overnight in Cairo.

We booked a guide for private evening tour which included the pyramids, a walk around downtown including Tahrir Square, a meal in a restaurant for locals, and a visit to an outdoor cafe where our guide introduced us to some of her friends.

We had no problems (apart from an upset stomach which was probably caught in the hotel as several others suffered likewise) and saw no signs of trouble. At all times we felt safe and in our comfort zone.

The guide and also her friends explained that life is carrying on as normal for the most part, and that if there is trouble it happens in certain locations only which they generally avoid - I suspect that's the same for most cities in most countries!

Paul S

No I dont advice you to avoid Egypt, I was there I had very good time and felt very safe

Azamara has canceled Egypt on us 4 times (including 2011 - twice, 2012, and 2013). I had thought it was a RCCL decision. I just found out a couple of days ago that Celebrity is still scheduled to call on Egypt this year. I am surprised.

Note that HAL has not been canceling it's Egypt ports, but RCCL/Celebrity/Azamara has in the past year.

I am having trouble finding the right itinerary. I don't trust Celebrity and feel they could pull the ports last minute. HAL would be a possibility but all of the other ports are repeats (No Luxor and/or Jordan on a 10-15 night cruise). So, still looking for the right opportunity, ideally in the beginning of 2013. I will take any suggestions.

I don't know what ports you are looking for but we are booked on the Norwegian Jade for 4/6/13 - 11 night Med and Holy Land Cruise out of Civitivecchia. It might be an option for you.

It goes to :

• Alanya ,Turkey
  • Limassol, Cyprus
  • Haifa, Israel
  • Ashdod, Israel
  • Port Said, Egypt
  • Alexandria, Egypt

It has two sea days on the front and back.

Hopefully the new elections may bring some stability to the area.

New York Times: 5/23/2012:Security Plays Big Role Before Egypt Vote

" CAIRO — Parts of the ring road encircling the capital are dangerous no-man’s lands, unsafe to drive on, by day or night. Kidnappings and bank robberies are common around the city. And women report sexual assaults by taxi drivers, even in broad daylight....On the eve of the vote to choose Egypt’s first president since the ouster of Hosni Mubarak, this pervasive lawlessness is the biggest change in daily life since the revolution... Across the country, carjackers have grown so bold that they steal their victims’ cellphones and tell them to call to negotiate the return of the cars. ...Amani El Sharkawi, 25, an English teacher, recalled a cab ride that ended abruptly when her driver saw men with chains and weapons stopping cars on a deserted stretch ahead;..."

and

5/22/1012: Security Plays Big Role Before Egypt Vote

"...Angst over the abiding lack of security, and its impact on Egypt's withering economy, has pushed its way to the foreground of Egypt's callow political dialogue....The uptick in crime that followed the abrupt withdrawal of Egypt's often brutal police forces during a revolution early last year has shattered the feeling of safety many Egyptians took for granted. ...But since the revolution, the media has treated Egyptians to horrifying scenes of brazen daytime bank robberies, violent protests, armed gunfights among rural clans and deadly sectarian violence. ..."The No. 1 issue is security. There's general chaos," said Ibrahim Al Ruby, a soccer coach...he was robbed at gunpoint while traveling with his team on a highway outside Cairo three months ago. "

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304019404577420373954149012.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Archived