Luggage tags being withdrawn fleetwide

LeeGrant

Thank you for the update :)

So it looks like with testing of self printing in most of Europe it will be rolled out further.

They also said in another letter posted on another topic

"In 2011 we began trials of the paper bag tag, within the UK and in Europe. After these proved successful it was introduced for sailings in Asia, Australia and South America."

So essentially it is just the USA / Canada where the policy is not yet in place.

Personally I now think it is probably a good idea (even if I did not originally).

I just received my e-docs for an upcoming cruise, there are 2 colored luggage tags (although you can print more) with the fold here lines and can be used for my cruise out of Baltimore on the Enchantment. The luggage mailer program is also available.

RCCL have been told me that luggage tags are being withdrawn from all sailings soon.

An email will be sent 4 weeks before the cruise and you will need to print your own.

Goodness knows what will happen if it is raining when you unload your suitcases as the ink will run on the printed paper.

Either that or the poor porters are going to be overrun with requests for them to add tags.

Lee

If you are worried about your tag coming off even with laminating it, put a note in your suitcase with your name and cabin number. A large full size sheet. I actually do this with my suitcase everytime I travel, along with my sisters phone number as a contact in case the luggage gets lost anytime. I do not put my home address in there, that just tells people your house is empty. When I have seen tv shows about what they do with lost luggage they say they have no way to trace the owner, if my name and a phone number is in there, they will find me eventually. :)

on our first couple sailings, we didn't even know we could order luggage tags. We just took the e-doc version and printed those. Laminated them and attached with cable ties. Worked great (mostly, first sailing one was ripped from the cable tie.:( )

Erika

Very smart. This is exactly what I do.:D

Doesn't sound like Royal is withdrawing mailed luggage tags.....http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/eDocs/12028078_Guest_Documents_Printable_Luggage_Tags.pdf

With a release date of 03/08/12, it looks like you're right

got a flyer this morning - you will have a choice. You can either print the luggage tag that comes with the edocs, or order them just like before. Until they totally stop mailing, I will always request the mailed tags. If they ever stop, then I will print the ones out of the edocs.

I just don't understand why the possibility of eliminating luggage tags is so upsetting to some. :confused: Are the tags some sort of symbol?

Eliminating balcony discounts and OBC from booking on board along with reduced deposits.........now that would really upset me.

I just got mine today. But I'm sure they will stop soon as so many have said this?

Right, why believe your own eyes when so many "well informed" posters claim otherwise. It seems that the pessimists among us are always ready to believe the worst, regardless of any evidence to the contrary. :rolleyes:

I just don't understand why the possibility of eliminating luggage tags is so upsetting to some. :confused: Are the tags some sort of symbol?

Eliminating balcony discounts and OBC from booking on board along with reduced deposits.........now that would really upset me.

Well said.

agreed!

I had to print my carnival luggage tags. I brought tape with me, packed them in my carry-on, and moved on with my vacation. There's more things to worry about in this world, and more to care about with vacation.

I can see two reasons.

First, for many people, receiving the luggage tags was a fun activity that was perhaps the first concrete evidence that their cruise was near. Really only just a psychological thing, but still...

Second, it's just another piece of the slowly shrinking pie that is what's included in the price of the cruise.

While neither of these may be a big deal, they are real reasons.

So long as I live, I will never understand the obsession my cruising brethren seem to have with luggage tags. I've never ordered them, never printed them, never, EVER bothered to use them.

Every time I get to the port, I show the porter my documents, and he or she slaps a tag on the luggage. Never once have I had any problem receiving my luggage. And never once has this in any way slowed down my curbside experience.

It's EXACTLY like an airline. And nobody prints airline luggage tags out at home, or obsesses about them like the cruise ship tags.

Really kind of pointless....

So long as I live, I will never understand the obsession my cruising brethren seem to have with luggage tags. I've never ordered them, never printed them, never, EVER bothered to use them.

Every time I get to the port, I show the porter my documents, and he or she slaps a tag on the luggage. Never once have I had any problem receiving my luggage. And never once has this in any way slowed down my curbside experience.

It's EXACTLY like an airline. And nobody prints airline luggage tags out at home, or obsesses about them like the cruise ship tags.

Really kind of pointless....

"It's EXACTLY like an airline. And nobody prints airline luggage tags out at home, or obsesses about them like the cruise ship tags."

No EXACTLY the same.....Do your bags which are checked on your airplane get delivered directly to your home or hotel room? :cool:

Archived