Question on restaurant reservations

2fairweather

We are booked on the Nautica 25 day cruise in Asia. Since this is our first Oceania cruise I'm on a learning curve. The way I understand it I'm allowed to make 2 reservations per specialty restaurant if I have a veranda stateroom. We have another couple who is joing us on the cruise and we would like to dine with them. Is there anyway we both won't loose a reservation request if we dine with them?

Mike

We are booked on the Nautica 25 day cruise in Asia. Since this is our first Oceania cruise I'm on a learning curve. The way I understand it I'm allowed to make 2 reservations per specialty restaurant if I have a veranda stateroom. We have another couple who is joing us on the cruise and we would like to dine with them. Is there anyway we both won't loose a reservation request if we dine with them?

Mike

Nope -- each couple's cabin number is registered against their reservation. However, it really doesn't make much difference -- it's fairly easy to get additional reservations even after you "run out", as long as you are somewhat flexible, especially on longer cruises.

Nope -- each couple's cabin number is registered against their reservation. However, it really doesn't make much difference -- it's fairly easy to get additional reservations even after you "run out", as long as you are somewhat flexible, especially on longer cruises.

As usual, Don is right about that. Towards the end of a 25 day cruise, Specialty Reservations will become MUCH easier to get.

In fact, if you can be patient, Oceania may ask YOU to take extra nights.

The menus in the Specialties are static, and Oceania has a high rate of repeat clients, so at a certain point demand falls off.

Oh well, more chocolate lasagna for the rest of us!

Annies-Dark-Chocolate-Lasagna.jpg Tell them Jim sent you ;)

Thanks so much for you help. Our travel, for the most part, have been by car and usually our emphasis has been Europe. I thought the cruise was a great way to "get our feet wet" in Asia with out the many hours of planning. How wrong I was as this trip has required extensive planing and the use of travel guides. Compared to many, we have done very little cruising but are looking forward to broadening our experiences.

Thanks Again,

Mike

How wonderful to start seeing Asia with Oceania - and 25 days to boot! You will love it and it will fly by in no time. All of the food on Oceania is great whether it is the specialty restaurants or not. Personally, once a week in the specialty restaurants is enough. You will also be very glad you did all that planning. Happy cruisin'

We will be in PH1 - apparently we can have a meal from any restaurant delivered and served course by course by the butler. I presume this is in addition to the reservation limit? I'm rather looking forward to a meal or two in our room !!

Does the PH have a dining table? Or does it have a table than can be raised.

Does the PH have a dining table? Or does it have a table than can be raised.

o-staterooms-ship-ph1.pngThe Marina & Riviera Penthouses have a bistro sized table at the foot of the bed, and a split loveseat which doubles as two chairs for dining.

staterooms-ship-ph1.pngOn the Regatta & Nautica, the dining setup is closer to the window.

In either case, passengers may "order in" from the Specialty Restaurants as many times as they care to (your butler will give you the menus for both restaurants on the first day of your cruise). The specialty menus are constant, so the one menu for each is sufficient.

Hope that this helped :D

Now you've made me more excited!! I don't think we'll be so unsociable though to eat in our room often. Last cruise we only ate dinner in our room once and that was to avoid formal night on Celebrty - by the third formal night we were over it!!

We are looking forward to breakfast in our room though :) I wonder what is on offer for PH breakfast?

...We are looking forward to breakfast in our room though :) I wonder what is on offer for PH breakfast?

There is a fairly inclusive hot breakfast menu available from Concierge through Penthouse and above. However, try writing in any breakfast item that comes to mind and if it's available, they'll usually provide it.

-And don't miss the baby lamb chops!

Grilled-Honey-Garlic-Baby-Lamb-Chops_full_600.jpg They do an amazing job of preparing them precisely to order, and these tiny tender chops are a delicious alternative to more traditional breakfast meats.

We like to pair them with warmed figs and honey..........heaven!

Speaking of what makes an Oceania in Suite breakfast special, the chocolate croissant are spectacular!

dsc019291.jpg

Order them with a side of Peanut Butter for a "your head will explode with ecstasy" experience (thanks for the hint, Bob!)

SingleServingPeanutButter285.jpg

Even on a shorter cruise (14 days), we found that we could get as many extra reservations in the specialty restaurants as we wanted -- and that was on a R ship. DW would go do to the dining reservation location each morning as we went to breakfast, and in the 14 days, we ate in either Polo or Toscana 7 times. We were flexible in the timing, but we usually ate at a convenient time.

Even on a shorter cruise (14 days), we found that we could get as many extra reservations in the specialty restaurants as we wanted -- and that was on a R ship. DW would go do to the dining reservation location each morning as we went to breakfast, and in the 14 days, we ate in either Polo or Toscana 7 times. We were flexible in the timing, but we usually ate at a convenient time.

If you are in a sweet with butler you can order from the specialty restaurants every night if you wish!:)

o-staterooms-ship-ph1.pngThe Marina & Riviera Penthouses have a bistro sized table at the foot of the bed, and a split loveseat which doubles as two chairs for dining.

staterooms-ship-ph1.pngOn the Regatta & Nautica, the dining setup is closer to the window.

In either case, passengers may "order in" from the Specialty Restaurants as many times as they care to (your butler will give you the menus for both restaurants on the first day of your cruise). The specialty menus are constant, so the one menu for each is sufficient.

Hope that this helped :D

Thanks for the details We will be on the Marina in July.

The reason we are interested in the cooked breakfast is because we eat wheat free/low carb - that excludes a lot of normal breakfast type food. Cooked breakfast on the other hand is easy!! Those baby lamb chops look like the deal :) Also looking at the menu for dinner etc I think there will be loads of choices for us to enjoy our time.

We will be on the Marina this May, embarking in Athens. Our first Oceania cruise. We are looking for recommendations/advice regarding Dining selection for our 1st evening on-board this beautiful ship:)

We are in a Concierge cabin so I can make reservations within the next 2 weeks so I would like to make some good Dining Choices. We love good food and most all types. We want to be really impressed on our 1st Dining night on the Marina. Should we choose speciality or Main DR?

Thoughts??

Brenda

Definitely a specialty restaurant vs. the MDR. Try Red Ginger or Jacques and you will be very impressed. In fact, even if you don't make a reservation for that night sometimes they offer availabilities on the first night out so check when you embark.

Definitely a specialty restaurant vs. the MDR. Try Red Ginger or Jacques and you will be very impressed. In fact, even if you don't make a reservation for that night sometimes they offer availabilities on the first night out so check when you embark.

Thanks for your recommendations! Are reservations needed for the Terrace Cafe at any time during the cruise? Also, is this a good place to have Breakfast?

Archived