Tours in Akaroa (Since We May Not Be Able to Get to Christchurch)

MalibuCA

One more thing about Akaroa:

The people there are really friendly, but then, in my experience, Kiwis are always nice and have a sense of humor.

If the lady in the wool store hadn't been so patient and helpful, I might not have bought my now favorite possum/wool vest. If I did not live in warm Florida, I would have bought much more. The store was packed with customers, but nobody got frazzled.

Same in the tiny information booth at the pier. It was packed, but the ladies there managed to process our credit card with a smile.

With two large ships in the bay, you guys must have been pooped at the end of the day.

Sorry I'm slow getting back..yes it was the day after I saw it.

I am just back from a meeting where we were told that Akaroa was the #1 NZ destination for cruise passenger satisfaction. Really good to hear as a lot of effort went in by the locals.

There are at least 87 ships booked for the coming season so I hope we can keep up the good work.

We are always open to feedback so if anyone has suggestions please let us know via Akaroa 365 Days of the Year on Facebook.

And now my hubby & I are planning our winter holiday :) thinking of a cruise.;)

Hi Mrs Whiskers,

Sorry to bother you. We will be at Akaroa on a cruise ship in Dec 2012. May I know if there are car rental companies stationed at Akaroa? Thanks very much.

Not a tour recommendation but a suggestion for anyone looking for a day of rest after a strenuous program in earlier ports and planning to wander Akaroa and the waterfront. If you see a sign offering Bluff oysters, take up the offer and enjoy some of the best we have ever tasted. Different to the Sydney Rock and Pacific - more like French belon - full of the taste of the sea!

BTW there were no car hire firms in evidence in April this year but there were several taxis offering hourly hires.

Colleen

• 2 months later...
Akaroa was our best day in New Zealand on our Century cruise last month. You can read all about everything we did (no ship excursions) here: http://web.mac.com/jimbellomo/Down_Under/Ports_of_Call.html

There you will find our entire Ports of Call listings with descriptions and photos. I wish I could be back in Akaroa right now.

Jim

Jim,

You say the "Paua Bay Farm" tour was "worth every penny". Exactly how may pennies is that? I can't find a price quoted anywhere.

Dennis

May I know if there are car rental companies stationed at Akaroa? Thanks very much.

Most , if not all rental car companies would be at Christchurch , and the Chch airport . People rent cars to drive to Akaroa .

Jim,

You say the "Paua Bay Farm" tour was "worth every penny". Exactly how may pennies is that? I can't find a price quoted anywhere.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I wish I could remember. I think it was under $75 but not sure if that was US or NZ. I did check their website (as I am sure you did) and no prices there. Send them an e-mail. They are great folks and will probably answer you immediately.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dr Koob!

I am sorry to bother you but your trip plan and review of your New Zealand experience that was so exciting to others, made me look into your postings. Unfortunately, I get a message when I try to access a link that you posted, that your Mobile Me site is closed. Is there another link that I might access to read of your adventure? I do not have a Mobile Me acct. I am intrigued! We are just beginning to get serious about planning our Jan. 2013 excursions. We start in Sydney and finish in Auckland. I would be most grateful!

Debbie Beck: email: debbeck1953@msn.com

Hi Dr Koob!

I am sorry to bother you but your trip plan and review of your New Zealand experience that was so exciting to others, made me look into your postings. Unfortunately, I get a message when I try to access a link that you posted, that your Mobile Me site is closed. Is there another link that I might access to read of your adventure? I do not have a Mobile Me acct. I am intrigued! We are just beginning to get serious about planning our Jan. 2013 excursions. We start in Sydney and finish in Auckland. I would be most grateful!

Debbie Beck: email: debbeck1953@msn.com

Go to http://www.koobraey.com/downunder/Down_Under/Ports_of_Call.html

I found this, is this the tour ?

http://www.pohatu.co.nz/penguin-tours.wse

Special daytime trip for cruise ship passengers

Option includes a pick-up from the Akaroa wharf at 11.00am and 1.30pm. The tour will take you on a spectacular Scenic drive to the penguin colony at Pohatu with photo stops en route, penguin nest box monitoring gives close photography opportunities.

Tour length is two hours.

$65 per person

$30 child under 12 years

Thank you for the link, Dr. Koob! It worked great! Lots of interesting reading ahead!

I plan to share it with others on our thread, Jan. 16th, 2012 Sydney to Auckland. Wonderful presentation and so nice of you to share! Enjoy all your travels!

Debbie Beck

Archived