Tours in Akaroa (Since We May Not Be Able to Get to Christchurch)

MalibuCA

I'm trying to plan ahead in the event that the port in Lyttleton and the downtown city of Christchurch do not reopen before our cruise in December. I imagine there is a pretty good chance that we will be docking at Akaroa instead of Lyttleton. I know that the ship will offer shore excursions, but I'm also exploring other options that I have found in travel books.

Has anyone ever taken a tour with Pohatu Penguins/Pohatu Plunge out of Akaroa? We are looking at the 2-hour Daytime scenic drive to the penguin colony at Pohatu that is specifically designed for cruise ship passengers. Anyone familiar with this?

Our other option is Black Cat Cruises. We are looking at the 2-hour Akaroa Harbour Nature Cruise, which is to see the Hector's Dolphin and other birds. Anyone ever take this tour?

Thanks,

Shelley

Further down the page is a thread entitled "Akaroa".

There is a lot of information available on that thread.

A poster named Mrs Whiskers lives in Akaroa, so if you have a specific query, she is probably able to help you.

It is doubtful that a decision will be made before August, whether Lyttelton Port will be ready for Cruise ships for the next cruise season, so it is probably worth checking excursions available from both ports.

If your ship visits Akaroa it is a tender port of call.

Akaroa was our best day in New Zealand on our Century cruise last month. You can read all about everything we did (no ship excursions) here: http://web.mac.com/jimbellomo/Down_Under/Ports_of_Call.html

There you will find our entire Ports of Call listings with descriptions and photos. I wish I could be back in Akaroa right now.

Jim

Wow, Dr. Koob! What a fabulous trip summary! You have no idea how much you have helped me plan our cruise to New Zealand and Australia! Thank you so much for all of your hard work! I can't believe how much ink and paper I just used printing your itinerary summary along with all of the ports, tours, and even Starbucks!

Thanks,

Shelley:D

Wow, Dr. Koob! What a fabulous trip summary! You have no idea how much you have helped me plan our cruise to New Zealand and Australia! Thank you so much for all of your hard work! I can't believe how much ink and paper I just used printing your itinerary summary along with all of the ports, tours, and even Starbucks!

Thanks,

Shelley:D

Shelley,

Just glad I could help. We like to pay back Cruise Critic folks whenever we travel. You are going to have such a great time. If you go to the sheep ranch in Akaroa tell the folks there hi for us.

And you can always go back to my stuff. I never delete it. There are still pics and reports from our earliest cruises.

Have a wonderful trip.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
I'm trying to plan ahead in the event that the port in Lyttleton and the downtown city of Christchurch do not reopen before our cruise in December. I imagine there is a pretty good chance that we will be docking at Akaroa instead of Lyttleton. I know that the ship will offer shore excursions, but I'm also exploring other options that I have found in travel books.

Has anyone ever taken a tour with Pohatu Penguins/Pohatu Plunge out of Akaroa? We are looking at the 2-hour Daytime scenic drive to the penguin colony at Pohatu that is specifically designed for cruise ship passengers. Anyone familiar with this?

Our other option is Black Cat Cruises. We are looking at the 2-hour Akaroa Harbour Nature Cruise, which is to see the Hector's Dolphin and other birds. Anyone ever take this tour?

Thanks,

Shelley

Hi Shelley --

Our trip to New Zealand and Australia included a stop in Akaroa. We did Black Cat and thoroughly enjoyed it, even though things didn't quite turn out as we planned.

Details here: http://www.thenextjourney.com/2011/11/akaroa-swimming-with-the-dolphins-almost/

Contact with any questions and thanks!

-- Darin

cruisechaos at gmail dot com

Hi Shelley --

Our trip to New Zealand and Australia included a stop in Akaroa. We did Black Cat and thoroughly enjoyed it, even though things didn't quite turn out as we planned.

Details here: http://www.thenextjourney.com/2011/11/akaroa-swimming-with-the-dolphins-almost/

Contact with any questions and thanks!

-- Darin

Thank you Darin. This is the first clear report I have read of the Black Cat Swim with Dolphins. I have booked it as a single excursion (Harry does not do cold water) but am starting to wonder if it is the best time - we will be there on 7 April - and if perhaps I should defer it until our next visit in January 2013. Don's mind the cold - wet suits warm up - but perhaps some more time around Akaroa may be better for us as a couple rather than a brief visit after my adventure. What do you think?

Colleen

Colleen --

Our time there was in late October, so it will be similar (give or take) to weather in April, but I can say that we had a good stiff breeze leaving the bay and entering the bay. Even though we had blue skies, it was cold in the water and the wetsuits though helpful did not fight off all of the chill. Some in our party didn't mind, others were quite cold and really appreciated the hot water hose available at the end of the swim.

Given that and the feedback you presented, you may want to elect to defer to January for your trip if you have concerns about the cold. If you have some good options to see the surrounding areas of Akaroa, then you can certainly enjoy those as well. We found more dolphins (albeit different species) in the Bay of Islands as well, so this is another option to consider if you ship makes the stop here.

Let me know if you have any additional questions and feel free to read about the other ports on our trip if they can provide more helpful details.

Cheers!

-- Darin

Hi Cruisers

Thanks for the comments about Akaroa. A press release from Lyttleton Port Company has confirmed Lyttleton will not be open for cruise ships in the 2012/13 season so you will be back at Akaroa.

As a business owner, resident & member of the local business promotions I can tell you we have enjoyed hosting cruise ships although the huge influx of tour buses etc from out of town sometimes causes congestion & the weather this season hasn't been a whole lot of fun either! The good days were spectacular, the rest we'd rather ignore!

There are lots of activities & tours available & we are always open to suggestions to improve the services on offer so please feel free to tell us what you need.

Pohatu Penguins have a variety of activities on offer. Contact them directly for options as these vary with the seasons & the penguin schedule for breeding, moulting etc.

The Akaroa 365 Days facebook page is a good place to start & I'm happy to announce that akaroa.com is getting a new website very soon so keep an eye on it for new listings & opportunities. Don't forget Trip Advisor.

In the mean time I'm trying to plan a winter holiday & having fun reading all the tips & places to go. Has anyone done a Brisbane to Fremantle cruise?

Look forward to seeing happy cruisers next season.

Thanks Mrs Whiskers for all your comments and advice. We will be spending the day with the Akaroa Things to do map in hand scooring aroung and enjoying some retail relaxation at the shops and markets - intend to get some NZ honey at the farmers market. We are doing scenic tours and animal adventures in other ports so are really looking forward to a day of exploring a small and unique harbour town. Ours is the last cruise of the season so we will be packing some warmer clothes. May also look in on the holiday photo exhibition in the Museum. BTW the Newsletter from the information centre is great!

Colleen

Here's the link to the story I think mrswhiskers posted about: http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/6516689/Lyttelton-loses-cruise-ships-to-Akaroa

I must admit I had a wry smile at the line 'most cruise ship passengers had been happy to land at Akaroa'.

Ummm if your ship is going there it's going there...bit of a silly statement as its not as tho anyone had an option.... Other than not going on the cruise.

Tbh while no one can control mother nature despite the best spin they are putting on this....things like this must delay Christchurch actually recovering some sembelance of normality and prevents yet more tourists ( and therefore businesses) recover in that region.

Dr. Koob (Jim)

I noticed that you took a tour in Napier that was organized by another member or your CC group. Do you by any chance have the name of the tour company?

Thank you.

I don't...but I can get it from him. We still e-mail all the time. I will be back as soon as I hear from him.

Jim

Tbh while no one can control mother nature despite the best spin they are putting on this....things like this must delay Christchurch actually recovering some sembelance of normality and prevents yet more tourists ( and therefore businesses) recover in that region.

The recovery in Christchurch will get under way once mother nature stops rocking and rolling the region .

Demolition is well under way , but there is still has a long way to go

and several high rise buildings to bring down before the rebuild can start.

Thank you. I appreciate you doing that. I am starting to look at booking tours for next February/March. I really do not like ship tours, so am trying to find some private ones. I was last in New Zealand in 1975, so I know things will have changed from then.

Heard from my buddy John. He said he booked us with Bay Tours in Napier. I am sure if you Google them you'll find them. They did a nice job for us and our coach was large and clean.

mrswhiskers,

Was the press release from the Port Company in the Christchurch Press?

Sorry I'm slow getting back..yes it was the day after I saw it.

I am just back from a meeting where we were told that Akaroa was the #1 NZ destination for cruise passenger satisfaction. Really good to hear as a lot of effort went in by the locals.

There are at least 87 ships booked for the coming season so I hope we can keep up the good work.

We are always open to feedback so if anyone has suggestions please let us know via Akaroa 365 Days of the Year on Facebook.

And now my hubby & I are planning our winter holiday :) thinking of a cruise.;)

Sorry I'm slow getting back..yes it was the day after I saw it.

I am just back from a meeting where we were told that Akaroa was the #1 NZ destination for cruise passenger satisfaction. Really good to hear as a lot of effort went in by the locals.

There are at least 87 ships booked for the coming season so I hope we can keep up the good work.

We are always open to feedback so if anyone has suggestions please let us know via Akaroa 365 Days of the Year on Facebook.

And now my hubby & I are planning our winter holiday :) thinking of a cruise.;)

Thank you for your reply.

That is a great achievement to be top destination for cruise passenger satisfaction.

Congratulations to all the good people of Akaroa.

Where will you choose for a good relaxing winter cruise?

• 2 weeks later...
Akaroa was our best day in New Zealand on our Century cruise last month. You can read all about everything we did (no ship excursions) here: http://web.mac.com/jimbellomo/Down_Under/Ports_of_Call.html

There you will find our entire Ports of Call listings with descriptions and photos. I wish I could be back in Akaroa right now.

Jim

Hi Dr Koop- thanks for all that wonderful detail. It certainly is helpful in planning our Oct 2012 trip down under. You made one small reference to folks that tendered in at Milford Sound. Have you gotten any feedback from anyone who did the overnight to Queensland?

Arlene

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks,

Shelley

We took this tour, loved it. We picked it up right on the pier and paid by credit card in the information booth. The young lady gave us a time and place to meet since she hoped to pick up a few more passengers. It turned out we were her only customers. Most people wanted to go to Christchurch.

She took us on dirt road above the bay - wonderful views - photo stops - and down to the valley where her aunt lives. They have hundreds of nest boxes for little blue penguins. A few had not finished molting and were still in their underground box. We also got really close to a seal and to red-eyed oyster catchers. Sheep, of course.

During the tour, we learned a lot about land management, preservation, sheep, possums, native animals, the earthquake, and her life. It was the best tour! In calm weather, they do kajak tours.

Archived