What would you do--2 out of 3 disaster

brnsnbrws

In 2007 I went on my first cruise. Went on Destiny out of San Juan. It was great!

In 2009 we went on another cruise. 3 of my daughters, my sister and I. Valor out of Miami. 2 days into the cruise we got word that my mother

-in-law had passed away.

We disembarked the ship in Belize and flew home. In 2011 the 5 of us took

another cruise. The Glory out of Miami. Same itinerary as the 2009 cruise because the only port we got to see was Grand Cayman in 2009.

Again disaster struck. 3 days into the cruise we got word my oldest daughter had suddenly passed away.

We disembarked in Grand Cayman and the 5 of us flew home.

My sister is begging me to go on another cruise. She said just the 2 of us like the 2007 cruise, different itinerary. My sister is 72(no one would believe shes 72)

I want to go with her because she loves to cruise and She is getting up in years.(I’m not far behind her)

I am really petrified to step onto another ship! Truthfully

would you go on another cruise? I have to say that Carnival was great in both instances.

Oh dear.

Well, honestly it had nothing to do with the cruising- which is great knowledge for the head, but a bit hard for the heart to accept. And I can see why you would be "petrified".

So, it would depend on whether or not you could get your head and your heart in sync- I think I would do it. Maybe you could offer toasts at dinner to those you lost during previous cruises- in honor of their lives and knowing that they would not have wanted you to hide at home.

I say Stay Home: Don't Cruise.

Cruising may work well for you personally, but if I was any member of your family,

I'd be real worried about my personal health while you were Out There!

Maybe sometimes humor is inappropriate but, that was a great response. OP, truly sorry for the deaths that ruined your other cruises. I'd say take the cruise and enjoy your time with your sister.

My Dad is now 93, and my mom 8 1/2 years younger, but I cruise with the knowledge that I might have to suddenly get home. I now no longer drive to Florida. I did once and my Dad fell and broke his his and had it replaced and I had to promise not again. I was only 2 hours late for him getting transferred to Rehab, but he was so upset with all of us.

I dont do TAs, no matter how good of a deal they are, because it would be too hard to get airlifted to get home. I need ports every day or two so I can get home fast. I dont cruise to Europe or Australia etc.

I do cruises close to home where there are planes home. Since that is your plan .. I would. Im younger than you by quite a bit .. but still I am careful and dont cruise too far from home.. drat.

Another way to look at it is.....would they have still passed away while you were home? And the answer probably would be yes. You just happened to be away each time.

I would go on another cruise but make sure you take out the insurance...just in case.

Sorry for the losses.

Dave

Another way to look at it is.....would they have still passed away while you were home? And the answer probably would be yes. You just happened to be away each time.

I would go on another cruise but make sure you take out the insurance...just in case.

Sorry for the losses.

Dave

What Dave said...

I have had three friends pass away while on three different cruises. Whether at home or on a cruise the same thing would have happened.

I have had 8 cruises since then and everyone was fine when I returned home....

Take that cruise with your sister...;)

I would say: defnitely take the cruise! :)

Nobody knows the exact day and time when we'll be leaving this world, and taking a cruise will not alter the plans that the Big Guy above has in store for each one of us.

I can completely understand why you are skeptical, but don't dwell on it. Go on the cruise, have an enjoyable time.

Think about it, if you had received the bad news you mentioned while you were driving, or at work, would you stop getting in a car, or going to work...?

Good response, this would be my answer as well.

And I too am very sorry for your losses :( I hope you have a wonderful cruise with your sister.

Sorry for the losses.

Dave

Go and enjoy the cruise with your sister. You might regret it if you don't. Be sure to buy travel insurance, though. ;)

Every day of my DS's life (he is almost 22 yo now), I have lived with the fact that he could very well die in his sleep due to a heart defect that cannot be corrected. Has this stopped us from traveling? NO! At least I know that we have given him all the life expereinces he would have had if he had been born "normal". Just because something might happen is no reason to stay home.

My Mother passed away while I was cruising last May. We were on the last sea day headed back to Galveston. I was guilt ridden for a long time and still "tell her" sometimes how sorry I am for not being at her side. The truth is, I would never have been able to get to her in time. I am in Texas and she is in Iowa.

You are not a jinx. You have already had more than your share of bad luck. Things happen that you have no control over. I would go on the cruise and enjoy.

An aquaintance of mine went on a trip to Mexico with his family for a week. The day after they left, his father passed away. However, his mother decided not to tell them, and forbid any of the family from contacting him. She saw no reason for them to ruin their vacation. The family just waited until they got back from vacation and then had the funeral.

OP what a nightmare to live thru and then to go thru it twice is incomprehensible to me:(. A loss of a loved-once is hard enough, cannot imagine how you felt the second time. My 81 y.o. mom lives with me in an attached mother-in-law apartment. Even though i make sure one of my adult children checks in with her when i'm gone, i sort of hold my breath the whole time fearing exactly what you have described.

Life is short, seize the moment; you owe it to yourself to do exactly what you want to do in this case and i'm sure your mother wouldn't want to hold you back from living your life.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Funny thing is my sister has been saying alot of the things all of you have posted. Couldn't help but feel she was just trying to get me to commit to another cruise. Maybe as time goes by I will commit to taking another cruise. I do want to go on an entirely different itinirary. The strange thing about my daughter passing was we were in Belize that day. We were on a tour and it took us pretty close to the airport there where we flew home from in 2009 when my mother-in-law passed away and we were all remarking about what a horrible day that was. We returned to the ship and as we each placed S&S card in the machine a loud bong chimed and we were each instructed to report to Guest Services. We all just froze. Horrible, horrible feeling. Thanks again for the encouragement and you all made very good points about the situations.

I couldnt do it, there is no way I would be able to relax. I had a customer that everytime she called me to do some work for her, SOMEBODY CLOSE DIED within 2 weeks. After burying the the fifth person I told her I was going out of business. I'm freaked out even posting this.

Go on the cruise with your sister! She is 72, and without trying to sound morbid, you never know how long anyone has! Please don't miss out on creating lasting memories with your sister due to the chance that something "could" happen. Life life while you can.

Of course, so your family members don't have to worry about themselves while you are gone, you could always make it a family reunion!

Archived