Riviera or Main...does it really matter?

canjay95

We are booked on the bottom riviera deck in an ocean view. We could move up to the main deck (one deck higher) for $40 total, but we would be forward or aft instead of mid-ship, like we are now. Is there really that much of a difference from one deck to the other? Would you stay or move up for the $40? I welcome your thoughts and opinions.

We are booked on the bottom riviera deck in an ocean view. We could move up to the main deck (one deck higher) for $40 total, but we would be forward or aft instead of mid-ship, like we are now. Is there really that much of a difference from one deck to the other? Would you stay or move up for the $40? I welcome your thoughts and opinions.

I would stay where I am since the motion is less midship than forward or aft.

Well you don't tell me what ship you are on, but let me tell you why I like the Riviera better- I can hear the ocean at night, I really love the sound of surf. The other reason is that when you get to ports, at least on the Fantasy class, you walk down one flight and off you go. When you come back from an excursion, you don't have to wait for an elevator, walk up one level and there you are. I would not move for an extra 40, in fact I wouldn't even think of it.

We loved our room on the Riveria deck. It was super convenient to come back from port- no elevators to wait for. And if we wanted to run up to get a jacket from the show lounge- it was super quick too.

If you are Lido deck people, it might be nicer to be higher up, but for us (we are more trivia type...) we loved the convenience of being so close to our deck.

On a cruise with family 2 years ago on Ecstasy I had an opportunity to do a direct comparison. Our ocean view was 2 decks higher than my sister's and they were identical. There are many different kinds of staterooms, and they are not all available on every deck, but in many cases I think the deck number is just for snob value.

Well you don't tell me what ship you are on, but let me tell you why I like the Riviera better- I can hear the ocean at night, I really love the sound of surf. The other reason is that when you get to ports, at least on the Fantasy class, you walk down one flight and off you go. When you come back from an excursion, you don't have to wait for an elevator, walk up one level and there you are. I would not move for an extra 40, in fact I wouldn't even think of it.

We will be on the Destiny out of Miami. Thanks for your comments! I hadn't thought of the convenience of getting out at ports.

I agree with those who say stay where you are. Midship is best place with regards to motion. I stayed on Riviera deck on Liberty, just slight back of midship and it was one of the smoothest, quietest rooms ever. Main is not bad either, but forward or aft you might feel more motion. Have a great cruise.:)

My husband and I had an OV on the Riviera deck on the Inspiration last year and loved it. We were in R195 which is right off of the elevator and we didn't hear any noise from the hall. When there are waves you can feel a little rocking, but we could only feel it when we were laying in bed and to be honest it rocked us to sleep at night. :D This is coming from someone who has a problem with their left ear that causes dizziness at the drop of a hat, but the motion didn't bother me in the least. Stick with the room you have!

I wouldn't spend any money to move up to the Main deck, the Riviera is a good place to be. To me the only two decks worth a premium is the Empress (or any deck between 2 decks of cabins) because it's slightly quieter and the Lido where you can walk down a short hall and be outside.

I wouldn't spend any money to move up to the Main deck, the Riviera is a good place to be. To me the only two decks worth a premium is the Empress (or any deck between 2 decks of cabins) because it's slightly quieter and the Lido where you can walk down a short hall and be outside.

Not sure if empress is always good. Depends on the ship. I booked Imagination recently and Empress was directly under everything. Clubs, bars, etc.

I booked an OV on main becuase my step daughters were kind of freaked abut being too low in the ship. Tried to explain it wont matter but for 1.80pp pday its was worth it to make them feel a tad better.

Not sure if empress is always good. Depends on the ship. I booked Imagination recently and Empress was directly under everything. Clubs, bars, etc.

I booked an OV on main becuase my step daughters were kind of freaked abut being too low in the ship. Tried to explain it wont matter but for 1.80pp pday its was worth it to make them feel a tad better.

Agreed. Maybe Miller_KC (the person you responded to) was talking about a different class of ships. On Fantasy class ships, Empress would be too noisy, unless you're a heavy sleeper or simply don't care.

Interestingly, I was a bit uncomfortable with the Riviera myself, due to it being close to the waterline; didn't want the possibility of the cabin feeling like a cargo hold. (Maybe that's why Carnival decided not to call it Lower deck, even though there's an Upper deck.) If your stepdaughers saw Titanic, maybe it planted images of third class being on lower decks and the people there not being able to get to the lifeboats.

I myself ended up booking a cabin on the Main; it was the best available option at that moment. Now, nothing left to do but wait.

I agree with you completely. We always book Riviera - Midship.

We've always been on Riviera except once on Main Deck. I didn't notice any difference in the two decks, and I definitely wouldn't give up midship to move up one deck. We're happy on Riviera and love knowing we are spending less money than people with identical cabins on a higher deck. Spending less means we can cruise more often and spend more on excursions.

Archived