Kenai Fjords cruise

wailea4me

Anyone out there have any comments on which is better of the two and why - Northwestern fjords or National Park tour.

Thanks

For traveling into the park, the Northwestern Fjord takes you further than the National Park tour. Both are excellent but the Northwestern is considered the premium tour. Check out Kenai Fjords cruises website at http://www.kenaifjords.com

FYI - my wife has worked for one of the companies for many years so has a great background on the cruises offered out of Seward.

For traveling into the park, the Northwestern Fjord takes you further than the National Park tour. Both are excellent but the Northwestern is considered the premium tour. Check out Kenai Fjords cruises website at http://www.kenaifjords.com

FYI - my wife has worked for one of the companies for many years so has a great background on the cruises offered out of Seward.

Thank you for your response. This would be part of the Alaska Heritage Tours Best of Kenai package that we are considering for the last week of Aug 2014. Keen to see as much of your beautiful area as possible. We will have 7 days pre cruise.

Hugh

Thank you for your response. This would be part of the Alaska Heritage Tours Best of Kenai package that we are considering for the last week of Aug 2014. Keen to see as much of your beautiful area as possible. We will have 7 days pre cruise.

Hugh

The reason I recommend Northwestern Fjord is that the area has several glaciers framed with a rugged mountain background. It's not unlike a visit to Glacier Bay when the weather is clear.

Even if you go on a shorter 6-8 hour cruise, you will go to either Aialik or Holgate Glacier. Lots of wildlife sightings this year. Have seen plenty of whales and even several pods of orca.

I'm one who prefers a trip to Kenai Fjords to a Denali visit.

I have been to Fox Island a few times, but, I would not make it any priority to stay there or spend time there. Just OK. What are your "plans" for going there? The meal, is not on par of some other salmon bakes, in my opinion, with the Exit Glacier salmon bake superior.

By far, the longer you are on the water the more you see, bottom line, plan and simple. And NO, a Northwestern Fjords tour is not too long, IF it's of interest to YOU. So, YOU are the only one who can decide. Both tours are excellent.

I see you are going in 2014? Way too early to "choose" at this point. Read trip reports and see what you wish to do with your time.

I have been to Fox Island a few times, but, I would not make it any priority to stay there or spend time there. Just OK. What are your "plans" for going there? The meal, is not on par of some other salmon bakes, in my opinion, with the Exit Glacier salmon bake superior. Just something "different" to what seems the regular Denali visit. DW likes the idea of Kayaking in a remote location but probably could be done in the Seward area. Plan on staying 2 days Windsong Lodge and do Exit Glacier plus the Salmon Bake.

By far, the longer you are on the water the more you see, bottom line, plan and simple. And NO, a Northwestern Fjords tour is not too long, IF it's of interest to YOU. So, YOU are the only one who can decide. Both tours are excellent. That's what makes it so hard to decide.

I see you are going in 2014? Way too early to "choose" at this point. Read trip reports and see what you wish to do with your time.

Thanks for your response. Yes I am busy reading as many trip reports as I can that interest me. 2014 is not that far away - only 12 months.

We only have 7/8 days so thought to concentrate on a particular area rather than try to cover everything from Fairbanks to Seward.

My "southern Alaska" itinerary is very basic at this early stage but includes hiring a car for a few days out of Anchorage (maybe Matanuska Glacier) and then train to Seward; Fox Isl; Northwestern or Aialik cruise, then 2 days Seward including Exit Glacier walk, sled ride, SeaLife Centre, before SB cruise on Radiance.

Following the cruise we will spend 7 days in Vancouver/Rockies before cruise to Hawaii.

Your comments are always appreciated.

Thanks for your response. Yes I am busy reading as many trip reports as I can that interest me. 2014 is not that far away - only 12 months.

We only have 7/8 days so thought to concentrate on a particular area rather than try to cover everything from Fairbanks to Seward.

My "southern Alaska" itinerary is very basic at this early stage but includes hiring a car for a few days out of Anchorage (maybe Matanuska Glacier) and then train to Seward; Fox Isl; Northwestern or Aialik cruise, then 2 days Seward including Exit Glacier walk, sled ride, SeaLife Centre, before SB cruise on Radiance.

Following the cruise we will spend 7 days in Vancouver/Rockies before cruise to Hawaii.

Your comments are always appreciated.

Kayaking Fox Island, is a poor choice. IF this is something you want to do, then go with a guided kayak trip to Aialik Glacier, WAY superior.

Your amount of time of 8 days is plenty of time to include Denali Park, if of interest. Certainly a highlight.

I don't book much a year out. My recent trip, was booked 2/3 months ahead, except for my car rental. I have no problem getting everything I wanted. :)

Are you referring to the Harding Ice Field trek, which needs the day? Or by Exit Glacier 'walk" just a look at the glacier? If the latter, this only need an hour.

You time is disjointed at this point. Figure out your entire itinerary, before firming anything.

Kayaking Fox Island, is a poor choice. IF this is something you want to do, then go with a guided kayak trip to Aialik Glacier, WAY superior.

Your amount of time of 8 days is plenty of time to include Denali Park, if of interest. Certainly a highlight.

I don't book much a year out. My recent trip, was booked 2/3 months ahead, except for my car rental. I have no problem getting everything I wanted. :)

Are you referring to the Harding Ice Field trek, which needs the day? Or by Exit Glacier 'walk" just a look at the glacier? If the latter, this only need an hour.

You time is disjointed at this point. Figure out your entire itinerary, before firming anything.

Am taking all your comments on board.

We plan to arrive at Anchorage direct ex Honolulu. To fly to Fairbanks for us means extra flight changes that we don't want to do. So an alternative would be to spend 2 days there, then train or coach to Denali and spend 2 days include a raft trip and one of the longer tours into the park. Then 2 days return travel to Seward by either coach or train or combination of both. Final 2 days would include one of the longer Kenai Fjords cruises and visit to Exit Glacier before cruise on last day.

Am taking all your comments on board.

We plan to arrive at Anchorage direct ex Honolulu. To fly to Fairbanks for us means extra flight changes that we don't want to do. So an alternative would be to spend 2 days there, then train or coach to Denali and spend 2 days include a raft trip and one of the longer tours into the park. Then 2 days return travel to Seward by either coach or train or combination of both. Final 2 days would include one of the longer Kenai Fjords cruises and visit to Exit Glacier before cruise on last day.

Skip Fairbanks. Denali is well worth your time- IF of interest to you? You are not willing to drive? If using the train, look into a purchased coupon book for 2 for 1 coupons, if available? Not having a car is a disadvantage, however. It is very easy and simple to drive in Alaska.

As I already mentioned, there is no need to rush into any bookings, think about how you wish to proceed and be willing to be open to change.

Skip Fairbanks. Denali is well worth your time- IF of interest to you? You are not willing to drive? If using the train, look into a purchased coupon book for 2 for 1 coupons, if available? Not having a car is a disadvantage, however. It is very easy and simple to drive in Alaska.

As I already mentioned, there is no need to rush into any bookings, think about how you wish to proceed and be willing to be open to change.

Not booked anything yet except the cruise. Yes we are willing to drive and have considered this option as well - at least in part. I believe Alaska would be the easiest for us to drive on the "wrong" side of the road:). Originally we thought of doing the round trip from Anchorage to Tok, Fairbanks, Denali etc at leisure but that would not leave us time to do the Kenai Fjords cruise - which is a definite to do. Being from Australia, I am used to driving very long distances.

We have heard good reports on Alaskan Rail and would like to do at least one portion on the train - possibly Anchorage to Seward?

We certainly will hire a car in Anchorage for sightseeing around there, such as Matanuska or part the way down to Turnagain Arm (repeat views on train) and anything else of interest that is different to our Australian landscape and wildlife.

We need to decide whether to go north to Denali or stick with Anchorage and to the south and perhaps explore/drive the Kenai Peninsula. As they say, planning is half the fun and I am certainly remaining flexible.

If we drove to Denali, what would be the best lodge to stay at closest to tour facilities such as the shuttle/tour buses that we can get to by car?

Thanks again

Hugh

As suggested above, everyone will have different interests and opinions on the different tours. My DH was definitely sorry we took the 9 hour Northwestern Fjords Tours. He said the six hour tour would have been plenty for him. Now the 10 hour Tracy Arm tour we were on, was by far his favorite and not too long at all. The problem with the Northwestern Fjords tour for him was the waters got very rough. We were rocking and rolling and the boat was lifting up and then slamming down hard on the water. In spite of him wearing the patch, he became queasy and developed a headache from all that jarring. It was simply difficult for him to truly enjoy the trip. There are so many factors that can affect a tour on a given day. There is no one "best" tour for everyone. We all have different interests and tolerances. For us the Tracy Arm tour was far superior to the Northwestern Fjords Tour. However, others, will surely have another opinion. In our case, both tours were on cold, raw, rainy days, so it wasn't like we had great weather for Tracy Arm. Learn all you can about the tour and then choose what you think is the best option for you.

Not booked anything yet except the cruise. Yes we are willing to drive and have considered this option as well - at least in part. I believe Alaska would be the easiest for us to drive on the "wrong" side of the road:). Originally we thought of doing the round trip from Anchorage to Tok, Fairbanks, Denali etc at leisure but that would not leave us time to do the Kenai Fjords cruise - which is a definite to do. Being from Australia, I am used to driving very long distances.

We have heard good reports on Alaskan Rail and would like to do at least one portion on the train - possibly Anchorage to Seward?

We certainly will hire a car in Anchorage for sightseeing around there, such as Matanuska or part the way down to Turnagain Arm (repeat views on train) and anything else of interest that is different to our Australian landscape and wildlife.

We need to decide whether to go north to Denali or stick with Anchorage and to the south and perhaps explore/drive the Kenai Peninsula. As they say, planning is half the fun and I am certainly remaining flexible.

If we drove to Denali, what would be the best lodge to stay at closest to tour facilities such as the shuttle/tour buses that we can get to by car?

Thanks again

Hugh

Matanuska is 2 hours from Anchorage, and if glacier trekking, you are best to have reservations, as walk up space can have waits. Last two years, people were waiting hours for tours. This year, I had someone try and "tag along" which didn't fly. :)

Yes you need to "decide" then look at putting together an itinerary. This isn't going to be a quick process. You already are finding out way more interests than you have time for. Take your time, and keep reworking a plan. Don't jump into any reservations etc.

There is no "best" lodge to stay at near Denali . With a car you have a wide range to choose from. Even staying in Healy, is only a 15 minute drive to the Access Center.

• 2 weeks later...

I had planned to book the 5 hour wildlife tour with Major Marine because I am very prone to motion sickness and thought there might be less chance of this if I stay in the bay. However, after seeing all the recommendations to do the 6 hour tour I am having second thoughts.

Has anyone done the 5 hour tour that can tell me what they saw and if the water is generally smoother than on the 6 hour tour. We are going in Sept. and these are the only two cruises offered at that time.

Archived