Kenai Fjords cruise

wailea4me

I keep reading that the Kenai Fjords cruise is one of the best tours to do in Alaska. We are booked on a cruisetour with Holland in late May. Can someone tell me the pros and cons of booking through the cruiseline or with an independent tour company? Any recommendations of an independent tour? Also, there are different tours or varying lengths. Any insights would be appreciated.

We have done two Kenai Fjords cruises with Major Marine, and were very pleased both times. They have a national park ranger on board who does an excellent narration. The sound quality of the narration has been excellent. The food on Major Marine also is very good. They offer a lunch of prime rib and salmon. Later they provide desserts and chopped fruit.

Yes, these tour operators do offer tours of different lengths. My preference is for the longer tours. The longer you are on the water you just see more.

I keep reading that the Kenai Fjords cruise is one of the best tours to do in Alaska. We are booked on a cruisetour with Holland in late May. Can someone tell me the pros and cons of booking through the cruiseline or with an independent tour company? Any recommendations of an independent tour? Also, there are different tours or varying lengths. Any insights would be appreciated.

Holland America does not do their own tours, they contract with the same ones you can book independent. For Kenai Fjords I never recommend an tour of less than 6 hours on the water. You will need a cruisetour with the TIME in Seward. Some will already have some tours included, but HAL does run some with only the bay tours, which aren't what I would ever take. So, if that's the case, you are going to have to determine, if you are going to book something else on your own and loose the money of the included tour. In the past, HAL has not refunded.

The two boat tour companies are Kenai Fjords tours and Major Marine. They equally do excellent jobs. I book based on coupon usage, but always go out repeatively, three trips last year. AND I always see sick passengers who were not prepared for motion sickness. Take precautions if at all prone. It's a LONG endless boat trip if ill, and no way out. Avoid this with information from your health care provider.

The two boat tour companies are Kenai Fjords tours and Major Marine. They equally do excellent jobs. I book based on coupon usage, but always go out repeatively, three trips last year. AND I always see sick passengers who were not prepared for motion sickness. Take precautions if at all prone. It's a LONG endless boat trip if ill, and no way out. Avoid this with information from your health care provider.

I did the 9 hour Kenai Fjords trip out of Seward. it was really wonderful.

DON

We are looking at doing a 6 hr cruise (the minimum recommended here on CC). Can you tell me if either company uses a type of boat that would minimize the motion or are their boats basically all the same? (i.e. we don't mind going on a slower boat if necessary)

Thanks!

Interesting info from Budget Queen about some reduced discounts with the coupon books. Not a surprise, since some of those coupons offer such great savings.

We purchased the Alaska TourSaver coupon book last summer and used a number of the coupons, saving a considerable amount. One of the coupons was for a 7.5 hour Kenai Fjord tour with Major Marine. I just checked the TourSaver website, and Major Marine is still offering a 2-for1 coupon for the 7.5 hour tour. The 2012 price for the 7.5 hour tour is $159.00 per person.

From what I have seen the companies offering Kenai Fjords tours have several different sizes of boats in their fleet. For example, Major Marine has several boats, in different sizes. The other major operator (what is that name -- Kenai Fjords Tours?) out of Seward also has a variety of boat sizes.

We have been on Major Marine tours twice, and both times some passengers were having some motion sickness problems. Clearly a good idea to take something for motion sickness if that has ever been a problem.

Kenai Fjords has an early booking special right now at http://www.kenaifjords.com/NPT-EarlyBook-20off.html. Unfortunately, they weren't offering this cruise when I was going to be there, but starting it a week later, so I booked the same cruise through HAL for a little bit more. HAL had reserved a group deal for that early date. It sounds like a great route and a great deal to me. I am on Zaandam, and will be doing the HAL version on May 20. I did a lot of research on this tour, and either company seems to do a good job, based on info on CC. Just wish I could have gotten the discount!!

• 2 weeks later...

I was all set to book the 6 hr Nat'l Park tour with Kenai Fjord Tours but it turns out that we will be sharing a coupon book w/someone else I know going to AK.

In that book (TourSaver) there is a 2 for 1 deal on the 7.5 hr tour with Major Marine. Without using the coupon for this tour we are still ahead dollar wise by a little bit (we're using it for train & SeaLife Ctr).

It would make sense to do the 7.5 hr tour with Major Marine but here are my concerns and why they weren't my 1st choice:

- With the assigned seating you can request window seats but they aren't guaranteed; we don't want to be stuck someplace where we can't see very well.

- If they determine that the weather/sea is too bad to leave the bay that day, they do not give you the option to cancel for a full refund like Kenai Fjords tours does; you might have the option to change days (which we can't; need to do it on our only full day there because of the 10am departure) or get a partial refund but that's it.

- I heard they allow smoking on their boats:(. When I asked about this the gal on the phone said something to the effect of "No, that's not true, well, I'm really not sure about that...they might have a designated smoking area." (BTW, the girl in the Kenai Fjords Tour ofc was much more enthusiastic & knowledgeable about their product.)

If I hadn't read so many good reviews about Major Marine, I woudn't even consider them based on the above.

Can someone tell me if any of my concerns are valid or am I thinking too much??...we all really love wildlife and want the best tour.

(BTW, the coupon in N Lights for the 6 hr Kenai Fjords Tours cruise is not valid on the day we can go, otherwise I would have purchased that book for sure.)

Thanks if you took the time to read all this and respond!:)

We have been on Major Marine twice, and really enjoyed ourselves both times.

I have no idea about their cancelation policy, but in terms of assigned seating, while you will see folks who have mobility problems stay in their assigned seats, most people just sit in their assigned spots during the meal time. It is a convenient place to leave coats, backpacks and so forth. On the two different boats we were on there were large covered, open viewing areas which most people were in.

We are non-smokers, but I don't remember any smoking on the boats. If they have a designated smoking area it wasn't a problem for us.

Thanks for the reply!

I did read a couple negative reviews on TA & Yelp about the smoking issue. I suppose if it was a big problem on their boats they'd have a lot more negative reviews as most people don't care for that. Though, it does seem odd to allow smoking on a wildlife cruise in a nat'l park:confused:

I have been on Kenai Fjords boat tours with both companies, last year twice with Major Marine, 1 with kenai Fjords. All booked based on coupon usage availablity. The assigned seating is NOT where you are going to stay. Once wildlife is seen, you get up and move. :) Even if you go with Kenai Fjords, are you going to be first in line?? If seating is important, then go with this company perhaps.

Both companies have several boats, it will be unknown to you the differences and you have no choice. Some are better than others, but all offer excellent viewing, IF you make the effort to move around.

I have been on the boats which have smoking- does not impact me, what so ever. There are plenty of other areas to be. My trips have blended, so I can't with certainity claim which company it was????

The food is definately way superior with major Marine, and consistantly excellent, if that is of any interest.

Both companies, run excellent tours.

WE were on the Kenai FJords tours in 2007 for the 6 hour trip and I had no problem with seasickness.

Northern Lights book has a coupon for the longer trip on Major Marine this year and I am wondering if there boats are similar in smoothness??

We are already booked for Major Marine's 6 hour trip but may upgrade to the longer trip and use the couon. Now I am noticing that Kenai Fjords tours has 20% off their longer tour.

I did get pretty seasick on a halibut fishing boat out of Homer in June, 2007 but I though it was probably cause the boat went into the rockier ocean.

I have been on Kenai Fjords boat tours with both companies, last year twice with Major Marine, 1 with kenai Fjords. All booked based on coupon usage availablity. The assigned seating is NOT where you are going to stay. Once wildlife is seen, you get up and move. :) Even if you go with Kenai Fjords, are you going to be first in line?? If seating is important, then go with this company perhaps.

Both companies have several boats, it will be unknown to you the differences and you have no choice. Some are better than others, but all offer excellent viewing, IF you make the effort to move around.

I have been on the boats which have smoking- does not impact me, what so ever. There are plenty of other areas to be. My trips have blended, so I can't with certainity claim which company it was????

The food is definately way superior with major Marine, and consistantly excellent, if that is of any interest.

Both companies, run excellent tours.

Thanks for the reply!! It's much appreciated. I have a few more questions, if you don't mind...:o

Do you know if we can bring our own food onto the boats? (for either company) My family would love the meal but I'm not big on seafood or beef.

Also, can you tell me if visiting Aialik Glacier adds much to the experience or is it similar to Holgate?

The M/V Spirit of Adventure high speed catamaran is listed as the boat they use for the 7.5 hr MM cruise. Have you been on this one? (If so, is it smooth?)

Lastly, can you tell me about what % of time (or how many hrs) might be spent sailing in the open ocean (I know it depends on wildlife sightings but just wondering if you have a ballpark figure).

Thanks again!:)

Is there any way to find out who HAL is contracting with on June 3 for Zanndam passengers?

I have only seen the ship contracts use Kenai fjords. But all you have to do is call either vendor direct.

Thanks for the reply!! It's much appreciated. I have a few more questions, if you don't mind...:o

Do you know if we can bring our own food onto the boats? (for either company) My family would love the meal but I'm not big on seafood or beef.

Also, can you tell me if visiting Aialik Glacier adds much to the experience or is it similar to Holgate?

The M/V Spirit of Adventure high speed catamaran is listed as the boat they use for the 7.5 hr MM cruise. Have you been on this one? (If so, is it smooth?)

Lastly, can you tell me about what % of time (or how many hrs) might be spent sailing in the open ocean (I know it depends on wildlife sightings but just wondering if you have a ballpark figure).

Thanks again!:)

Yes, you can bring any food you want. Aialik is a stable glacier and extremely beautiful, with active calving, Holgate is just beyond it, and also very nice, they are in the same bay.

Yes, I have been on the Adventure. Sorry, but you are ON WATER. Nothing is smooth here, although the above post claimed they had no issue, that has never been the case on my multiple trips- over 20. there is always some "rough" movement part of the trip, usually 30 minutes or so, the route crosses the gulf. I also ALWAYS see sick passengers (I look :) ), every trip. There is NO way to predict what YOU may experience.

I see many posts with these same concerns/questions. IF it makes you feel better, then focus on the single trips that go well, and don't bother worrying about other reports.

I have only seen the ship contracts use Kenai fjords. But all you have to do is call either vendor direct.

They are using Kenai Fjords on our cruise in May, so I'm sure that is who it will be. We were going to book them independently for the early bird discount, but since it is so early in the season they are only doing the Zaandam tour that day, so we booked it through them.

Yes, you can bring any food you want. Aialik is a stable glacier and extremely beautiful, with active calving, Holgate is just beyond it, and also very nice, they are in the same bay.

Yes, I have been on the Adventure. Sorry, but you are ON WATER. Nothing is smooth here, although the above post claimed they had no issue, that has never been the case on my multiple trips- over 20. there is always some "rough" movement part of the trip, usually 30 minutes or so, the route crosses the gulf. I also ALWAYS see sick passengers (I look :) ), every trip. There is NO way to predict what YOU may experience.

I see many posts with these same concerns/questions. IF it makes you feel better, then focus on the single trips that go well, and don't bother worrying about other reports.

Thank you so much, BQ! As always, your posts are very helpful. :)

I am reading this thread with interest as looking to book this tour myself, unfortunatly the toursaver vouchers expire before i arrive so that isn't an option. Not sure which compant to go with as both look similar and have good reviews, leaning towards major marine as BQ said food was always of excellent quality

In relation to smoking question, while I have not travelled with either company I found the following on the major marine website under FAQ

Do you allow smoking onboard? Beginning with the 2012 cruise season, all Major Marine Tours vessels will be non-smoking only.

• 1 year later...
The Northwestern Fjords tours. I did that once, and the Aialik Glacier tour twice last year. All great!!!

Hello Budget Queen, I much appreciate your comments on these boards.

We will be spending 7+ days in Alaska pre cruise on 29 Aug next year on Radiance ex Seward.

One of my planning options is to do the 2 day stay on Fox Island with the Kenai Fjords Northwestern tour taking place on day 2 and returning to Seward that evening to continue our stay at Windsong Lodge.

DW is concerned that the Northwestern might be too long - 9.45am until 6pm ex Fox Isl.

The alternate long cruise is the Aialik glacier (Kenai Fjords National Parks tour)

You have probably done both, what is the difference between them apart from distance. Is one better than the other - they both get good reports. We need to get the best variety of wildlife/glacier/scenery. This will be a once only trip for us.

Thanks, Hugh

Archived