What drinks ARE free?

CanadianMAG

Besides the water from the tap what drink can you get free, and where?

We don't drink pop so that is not an issue and I know there is a fee for it.. how about Juices?, coffee, tea? fancy coffee?

In the Lido, you will find ice tea, glasses of water, hot tea, coffee. In the morning there is orange juice, cranberry juice, grapefruit juice, tomato juice, chocolate milk, whole milk, 2% milk and skimmed milk. Around 10:30 am or so, they come around with leomonade.

Iced tea, water, coffee and hot tea are always available in the Lido 24/7.

I forgot about the Java Cafe on the R and S style ships, they have capuccino at no extra cost, or they did last month on the Volendam.

Vista Style ships have the Windstar Cafe, which I thought was great.

The Maasdam still has the Java Cafe where you can get free coffee, tea, and expressos, and capaccinos. If you want one with a liquor in it, then you pay for it.

The Explorer's Lounge has extra chocolates in the evening. Check your daily program for the times that it opens - sometimes 7 PM - smetimes 9 PM.

Have you had ice tea in the States before? Not the same as served here in

Canada, (Good Host or Lipton) is usually what I buy or am served in restaurants.

Got a surprise for sure the first time I tasted it!!! Saw many add sugar or

sweetener.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, I'm sure you'll love the Zuiderdam

as much as I did, there were quite a few couples on their honeymoon and

they all seemed to be having a great time.

Make sure to attend the Newlywed Game, always a lot of fun and who knows

you may be chosen to be contestants.:eek:

Bev

We loved the Java Cafe on the Volendam. Best cookies on the ship!

Unfortunately, we hear that the Java Cafe will disappear after the Volendam's scheduled dry dock this December in HAL's Signature of Excellence timetable.

We will miss the "old" Volendam.

Anne and Alan

I think they'll be putting in a Windstar Cafe like the Vista Style ships. You can still get your capccino and other specialty coffees, but you'll have to pay for them now, the cookies are still free.

I have gotten in the habit of making a half cranberry juice half ice tea drink that is really tasty. I mostly have had this in the Neptune Lounge but would think you could have from the Lido. I was alsoamazed at how many juice were offered in the Lido in the morning. I would always have my grapefruit juice and a V-8, but I was surprised when DH came to the table one morning with Grape Juice. So they definitely have the juice thing covered.

Regarding specialty coffees, which ship are you sailing on and when?

This might seem complicated. On the 3 Vista (soon to be 4) class ships these coffees along with pastries are served in the under utilized Windstar Café and there is an addition charge for them.

On the S and R class ships they are served in the Java Café along with cookies and are free. The Java Cafes are adjacent to the Wajang Theatres.

However, on these 8 ships that have had the Signatures of Excellence upgrade the Java Cafes have been eliminated and an Explorations Café has been added. In the Explorations Café the fancy coffees are now an addition charge along with the pastries.

To the best of my knowledge the SoE upgrades have been done to Ryndam and Zaandam with Statendam and Rotterdam happening very soon.

I said that it might seem complicated. It really does not concern me as I have two cups of Joe in the Lido in the morning and that is all for the day.

There is no charge for the pastries in the Windstar and/or Explorations Cafes.

you have to pay for pastries? I thought all food on the ship was free (except the pinnacle grill)

I'mm telling ya they get you every way they can... least I can get my free OJ!:D

There is no charge for the pastries in the Windstar and/or Explorations Cafes.

It has been awhile but there were some people reported they were charged for pastries in the Winstar.

Many have reported there was no charge so perhaps Hal changed the policy.

Gizmo, that's interesting. On the Zuiderdam last month, I stopped at the Windstar Cafe for a capuccino and got a pastry free. I'll be curious to see what the future cruisers report on this.

It has been awhile but there were some people reported they were charged for pastries in the Winstar.

Many have reported there was no charge so perhaps Hal changed the policy.

Are you sure that was on a HAL ship? I can't remember anyone saying that. I know there was no charge in the Windstar on the Oosterdam in January.

I must have been misinformed. A lady on the Oosterdam last year was annoyed about many changes on the Vista class ships and told me she had to pay for her latte and pastry. I never went to the Windstar Cafe so my infomation was second hand.

What types of sodas do they have? I don't drink caffeine, and I'm always on a diet, so usually drink diet, caffeine free drinks. Should I bring my own?:confused: I'm going on the Amsterdam with my father and sister in August. First cruise on this hemisphere. Was on a Greek Island cruise almost 30 years ago while stationed in Germany, I've been waiting for the chance to repeat the experience.:)

Archived