Brilliance with Children

We are scheduled to sail on Brilliance in November. We have 2 grandchildren 6 and 4. While this is not their first cruise, it is their first cruise on Radiance class (others were Voyager Class). I am a bit concerned as we are departing from a cold weather port and will be at sea for 3 days. Will there be enough for them to do?

While I am well aware of the adults/over 16 Solarium pool rules, would there be any chance of some "family" hours for the little ones to swim since more than likely it will be too cold to use the out door pool.

What do you think, did I make a mistake choosing this ship/sailing. Daughter is concerned the boys will be bored as well.

PS not sure they will go to kids club. Younger one might, older one wouldn't last time. Younger one more outgoing than the older and unfortunately they would be in 2 different age groups.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Your g-kids are at the perfect age for AO...they will LOVE it! No worries about things to do on cooler sea days! The best thing is to take them to orientation, when EVERYONE is new...that way, even the shyer ones tend to fit in and want to go.

The Solarium may be opened for under 16, if it's too cold for the main pools. It will be noted, if that's the case, otherwise, under 16 is not allowed to swim there.

There's always the arcade (can cost $$$$) or mini-golf....and to be honest, most kids don't care if it's chilly when they swim...assuming it's over 65 degrees, most just don't care!

Personally, when I pay money for a cruise, I want it to be HOT....I wouldn't sail from a northern port in the fall/winter....just too many wasted days for me!

Your g-kids are at the perfect age for AO...they will LOVE it! No worries about things to do on cooler sea days! The best thing is to take them to orientation, when EVERYONE is new...that way, even the shyer ones tend to fit in and want to go.

The Solarium may be opened for under 16, if it's too cold for the main pools. It will be noted, if that's the case, otherwise, under 16 is not allowed to swim there.

There's always the arcade (can cost $$$$) or mini-golf....and to be honest, most kids don't care if it's chilly when they swim...assuming it's over 65 degrees, most just don't care!

Personally, when I pay money for a cruise, I want it to be HOT....I wouldn't sail from a northern port in the fall/winter....just too many wasted days for me!

Thanks CB - yes we know they would love AO if he would give it a chance - always wants mommy to stay.

Know about the solarium rules - was hoping for just a few hours in colder weather

forgot about the arcade - $$ not a problem if it keeps them busy - we probably wouldn't allow them into a freezing pool - thats just crazy

nice your able to cruise from warm/hot port - where do you live? Having to pay for 6 airline tickets these days is hurting. Instead we cruise lately from home port and go GS.

totally understand, had to push my autistic son from the nest to get him to stay at ao the first time, but they were doing science projects, slime and volcanos during the meet and greet and he had a ball couldn't wait to go back....that and the video games.....lol

totally understand, had to push my autistic son from the nest to get him to stay at ao the first time, but they were doing science projects, slime and volcanos during the meet and greet and he had a ball couldn't wait to go back....that and the video games.....lol

Oh my gosh - I can only hope - took the 5 year old several weeks to get adjusted to kindergarten - between leaving Mommie and the bus - UGH - felt so bad for him - however, he is missing out on so much!

I've been on two cruises with kids and cooler-weather sections and on both we had a family slot for the solarium pool. If I remember correctly it was 2 or 3 hours and was advertised in the Compass and posted at the pool. As soon as we reached warmer climes it was discontinued.

One thing that did bug me though (and it happened on both occasions) was the disapproving faces of some of the adults in there during family time. Although the vast majority clearly didn't have a problem with it, these few people seemed to grudge the little ones their limited pool time. I found that hard to understand. I thought they could surely have found somewhere else to be during those few hours, especially when RCI took the trouble to advertise the fact and just as swiftly withdrew the privilege when it was no longer necessary.

I've been on two cruises with kids and cooler-weather sections and on both we had a family slot for the solarium pool. If I remember correctly it was 2 or 3 hours and was advertised in the Compass and posted at the pool. As soon as we reached warmer climes it was discontinued.

One thing that did bug me though (and it happened on both occasions) was the disapproving faces of some of the adults in there during family time. Although the vast majority clearly didn't have a problem with it, these few people seemed to grudge the little ones their limited pool time. I found that hard to understand. I thought they could surely have found somewhere else to be during those few hours, especially when RCI took the trouble to advertise the fact and just as swiftly withdrew the privilege when it was no longer necessary.

That would be wonderful!

And as far as disapproving adults - I have no problem at all dealing with them:)

We have 4 children ages 6-11 and have cruised the last 4 years. We've never been on the Brilliance, but I just can't wrap my head around bored. Does the ship have the outside movie theater? My children LOVE that. My children have always enjoyed the evening shows too, thus staying up later than normal, but also sleeping in or taking naps, which eats up time. My children have all enjoyed the kids club/ocean adventure. The key is finding the crew member that the child bonds with. Go the first day during the open house and spend as much time in there with your child as possible. Help him get engaged with the crew members that will be in his age group. Let the crew member know your concerns and your goal. Once they have that bond, they'll want to see their new friend. My children have always loved the kids clubs and beg to go. I hope you have an amazing cruise with your sweet grand children.

We have 4 children ages 6-11 and have cruised the last 4 years. We've never been on the Brilliance, but I just can't wrap my head around bored. Does the ship have the outside movie theater? My children LOVE that. My children have always enjoyed the evening shows too, thus staying up later than normal, but also sleeping in or taking naps, which eats up time. My children have all enjoyed the kids club/ocean adventure. The key is finding the crew member that the child bonds with. Go the first day during the open house and spend as much time in there with your child as possible. Help him get engaged with the crew members that will be in his age group. Let the crew member know your concerns and your goal. Once they have that bond, they'll want to see their new friend. My children have always loved the kids clubs and beg to go. I hope you have an amazing cruise with your sweet grand children.

Thank you so much. The problem is the 3 sea days going out when the weather will be a bit chillier and not really good for swimming outdoors. Bored - IDK - however they love ice skating and this ship doesn't have it. Evening entertainment is not a problem - its during the day. If they will go to AO that would solve the problem but not sure the older guy will go. Can't have him crying ya know.

No outside move theatre - Brilliance has not had any of the upgrades as yet.

Daughter is thinking of cancelling:(

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! We are diamond members and have been cruising with our now 8 year old son since he was 4. We have been on Oasis to Adventure to Voyager but never Brilliance. We have however cruised twice out of Bayonne on Explorer - once in November down south and once in May to Bermuda. Both times, we had 2 days of terrible weather and rocky seas. Between hubby and I (and grandparents on Bermuda cruise) my son always had something to do! We bring some travel games (such as battleship/connect4/cards) and go to a public place...Play some games...Movies are shown. We have even brought a DVD player and watched movies in the room. He still LOVES Adventure Ocean at night, after dinner usually but sure he will be delighted to try it during the day if bad weather and no pool time. We are doing November Brilliance one way to San Juan (11/2). The arcade is always a hit as well.

For the 2-3 days at sea entertaining him, the rest of the trip is soooo worth it! Beautiful weather (usually) and exciting sights to see - we always forget all about the long first days!

While I was a little nervous about going from 2 cruises on Oasis to Brilliance, I think it will be fine. One way airfare (we live in NJ) and the 'low' cost of Brilliance makes it all better!

Also...if they like/easily find[ing] friends, if you are booked on the 11/2 cruise...The second week of the cruise - it is teachers week in NJ and all public school closed for teachers convention 11/8 and 11/9. Alot of jersey people take advantage of the short week (or half days the rest of the week like us) and go away. Hard to say but could be alot of kids on this cruise. That is why we are going since only missing 3 1/2 days for the entire 8 night trip. Might be easy to meet some friends in and about the ship! Hope this helps...

tber,

join the roll call for your brilliance cruise in nov, and sign-up for the meet and mingle as well, we'll see you there and you can get to know your fellow cruisers, many from nj.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1412247

also check out

http://super-grandma.com/

see you there

monza et al

We are scheduled to sail on Brilliance in November. We have 2 grandchildren 6 and 4. While this is not their first cruise, it is their first cruise on Radiance class (others were Voyager Class). I am a bit concerned as we are departing from a cold weather port and will be at sea for 3 days. Will there be enough for them to do?

While I am well aware of the adults/over 16 Solarium pool rules, would there be any chance of some "family" hours for the little ones to swim since more than likely it will be too cold to use the out door pool.

What do you think, did I make a mistake choosing this ship/sailing. Daughter is concerned the boys will be bored as well.

PS not sure they will go to kids club. Younger one might, older one wouldn't last time. Younger one more outgoing than the older and unfortunately they would be in 2 different age groups.

Thanks for your thoughts.

We are travelling on Brilliance for the 3rd time in June. Our youngest son actually celebrated his 5th birthday when he sailed on Brilliance for the first time. Both of our children have always enjoyed the ship, even though it hasn't got all of the facilities that the larger ships have. The clubs are great and not usually so full on the smaller ships.

In cold areas, they do open the inside pool for family times, it will show this on the daily Compass. There is also an outdoor water slide that they will be able to use as the weather warms. Furthermore, there is table tennis, the basketball court and the video arcade - and the kids clubs are fantastic (ours have always enjoyed the activities). The kids usually dress up as pirates and take over the ship on one evening and on another they may have a pyjama party and watch the film of their choice.

As previously stated, enrol the children on the first day and let them meet some of the other children. By staying around that first time, it may give them confidence, especially if you talk to the other children and show an interest in the activities.

We have a totally different problem now, our son is suddenly old enough for the teens club - help, not sure who's more anxious about the transition :eek:

Are you on the 2nd November cruise?

If so we will be there with our son who will be 4. He doesn't care for adventure ocean ( although he starts school in September so this may change his outlook) so we do family stuff all the time. Last cruise was on The Freedom but recently done the Monarch too and he had a blast on both. But at least there will be at least one other play friend on board! AO did also do family based activities through the day like family bingo and scavenger hunts too where parents go along as well.

We had several cold weather sea days on the Enchantment out of Baltimore and can confirm the same about restricted hours in the solarium pool when the temperature outside prevented use of the main pool.

I was too thinking about this cruise (Nov 2). I was worried about the kids because they like the pool. So at least they allow them for a few hours in the adult area. I just wanted to cruise to different ports. I wish they would have the newer ships go to different ports, instead of eastern and western. We also live in NJ and our kids are off the whole week! But I hate the choices for cruises that week. We might fly some where instead.

Archived