dress code question

njpln

We are looking at an Oceania cruise for the first time, and we really like what we have read and heard.

One thing are wondering how casually dressed is the average passenger in the evenings? We like to dress up a couple of nights on a cruise, and want to know if we would be out of place terribly in dressy clothes? Not formal evening wear, but maybe a cocktail dress for me and a suit for my husband?

Would we be way overdressed? :confused:

Thanks for any comments.

You won't be out of place or stared at if you dress nicely! I remember on my first Renaissance cruise (same ships) I saw four couples in formal attire. Just because they were the only ones all gussied up didn't mean they were out of place.

Wear what you want!

Mura

I've only been on two Oceania crusies, so I'm certainly not an expert--we didn't see any men in suits on those cruises. and although there were women in dresses, not what I would call cocktail dresses.

If it makes you happy to be dress up, and you don't mind being the only ones (or one of a few), I don't see anything wrong with it.

Since dresses have made a return to the fashion scene, there are many ladies in dresses in the evening, especially those who ballroom dance. In fact on our last cruise I even broke down and packed a long skirt to mix and match with my dressy tops and evening trousers. That being said, suits on gents were rare, though there were quite a few wearing sport coats.

So, as Andee said, if you like to dress up, go for it!

We've been on 2 O cruises in the last year, and found them somewhat different. I don't know if it was a function of the ship or the itinerary. The Marina TA sported more formally dressed folks, while the Regatta Panama Canal cruise was less formal.

Many people choose to dress up a bit for the specialty restaurant evenings, and you would certainly not be overdressed in a suit and evening dress.

O people are generally fairly well travelled and knowledgeable, so they tend to be pretty accepting of others in all respects, as long as everyone respects others rights and space.

Be a princess for a few days in your life aboard and enjoy yourself!

From my experience, you will be okay...

Though there are no formal nights and no fancy dress requirements, O passengers do tend to dress well...

You won't see jeans and t-shirts in the dining room like on Carnival, but you will see a range of everything else... (okay, no shorts, swimwear, sweat suits or flip-flops either)...

I always wear Dockers and a sports shirt (buttons, collar) and suede or leather loafers...my wife dresses nicely, but not in really "dressy" stuff...Actually, some nights, we'oll opt for a little more casual, others a little more dressy--often depending on which restaurant we're in...

But, there are always a fair number of people who tend to dress up a little more...Often there are men who seem to always show up at dinner with a sports coat or blazer...even some who wear suits--which may be a bit of overkill, but not so much that anyone pays it any mind...There are women in dresses and women in pants...

Most O passengers dress nicely...which doesn't necessarily mean formally... One can have nice "casual" clothes...

Bst thing to tell you is that, if YOU are happy with the way YOU dress and look, then don't worry about it...

I agree with the others

On our Marina Panama cruise last year we did spot a few TUX & dressy dresses

I am guessing they were new to Oceania;)

Wear what you feel comfortable in & enjoy the cruise

lyn

As more or less said above, one of the wonderful things about Oceania is that you can do what you want, dress as fancy or not as you want, and no one really cares. There is everything from tux to open neck shirts for men and, I will admit, I have never seen a formal dress on a woman, but some very lovely outfits.

My husband and I hope to be celebrating our 60th Anniversary next year on the Marina (if God is willing). We definitely will be dressed formally.

Happy Anniversary!!

At least people on your cruise will know who you are ;)

Lyn

Congratulations! Anniversaries onboard are great and celebrating a 60th is fantastic. My wife and I celebrated our 15, 25, 35, and 40th while cruising.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk

On our recent 35 day cruise, there were people routinely wearing their Tevas, zipoff long pants and Columbia cargo shirts to the GDR for dinner. Give me a non-ripped pair of jeans and a nice shirt/sweater over jungle/backpacking gear any day. I am one of those who can't see what the deal is about jeans in the GDR but never mind.......my comment may be off topic but it's intended to illustrate what attire you might find sitting next you in the GDR.

To be fair, maybe those folks in zipoffs had some of their baggage go missing or something. Their pants were long and they weren't jeans and their shirts were collared so technically they fit the GDR dress code.

More dressy outfits were found in the 2 specialty restos but if you're more comfortable wearing "cocktail/suit" attire in the GDR, you won't be alone. But do you want to pack a suit when you don't need to?

I agree about jeans - my man wears "dressy" jeans with lovely shirts. He looks so smart like that but unfortunatey he can't wear these on the cruise. We will have a few nights when we dine in our room though so it's all good. I do understand why they say no jeans as it is so subjective and some might wear really rough ones. Surely though, Oceania should trust its passengers a little more.

Archived