Cruise Insurance - Yes or No?

BeckNCall

Hi,

I am trying to decide whether to purchase cruise insurance. I still have 9 months before we cruise on Celebrity to Hawaii this November. Should we be using Celebrity's Cruise Care insurance or purchase our own through insuremytrip.com. Celebrity's is about $100 more than the cheapest policy I am looking at through insuremytrip. Anybody have a preference. Is it better to use Celebrity's since we cruising through them?

Buy insurance. You never know what can happen.

We just had to cancel a cruise 3 days before the sail date because of a grave illness in the family. These things happen and when they do you'll be glad that at least you won't have to pay for a trip you couldn't take.

Whatever you decide, always get insurance! Check the coverage and compare. I like Travel Guard.

We like Travel Guard too as they cover if you loose your job...

it's not about getting it through the travel company you use, it's about what if covers and don't cover.

Make sure you look at it all, and yes we also get insurance even on Caribbean cruises- you just never know.

Meg

Hi Everyone,

Whether you choose Celebrity's insurance, or another company.... I urge you to make the purchase. We do not leave home without it !

In addition to the standard coverage items, please be sure to look into what's covered in medical evacuation. Without coverage, it could cost tens of thousands of dollars out of pocket. It's a critical component of the coverage.

If you are considering insurance (and you should), consider buying a medjet assist policy in addition to your travel insurance.

Here's why....almost all travel insurance will transport you to the nearest hospital that can handle your medical issue....but that's where they leave you. Some say they will transport you home, but it is only if the foreign hospital says that you need to be transported....the decision is up to the hospital and your travel insurance's claims rep (who is likely not a trained medical professional).

The big difference is that medjet will fly you home (or the hospital of your choice) based on YOUR request and as long as the hospital says you are stable enough for the flight, they will fly you home.

It's one insurance you hope you never need, but if you have a medical problem abroad that requires any lengthy hospital care, you will be very glad you paid the price.

Note: medjet will fly you from a foreign hospital or clinic...they will not pay for any emergency evacuation from the ship to a hospital...that's part of your regular travel insurance.

Yes to the insurance. Read policies and compare to determine who to go with. As Host Andy mentions, Medical Evacuation is a big item I make sure is included....and included a enough value (depending on where I'm traveling to).

DO be sure to read the policy and understand what you are getting before you buy. It helps alleviate "surprises" if you need to use it.

We also always purchase insurance from CSA on the day we make our final payment. We would never buy from the company (in this case, Celebrity) as one of the things you want insurance against is the company going bankrupt. Unlikely, but better to be safe (which is the whole purpose of insurance)

Hi,

I am trying to decide whether to purchase cruise insurance. I still have 9 months before we cruise on Celebrity to Hawaii this November. Should we be using Celebrity's Cruise Care insurance or purchase our own through insuremytrip.com. Celebrity's is about $100 more than the cheapest policy I am looking at through insuremytrip. Anybody have a preference. Is it better to use Celebrity's since we cruising through them?

Would not dream of going without insurance. That is considered a part of the cost of the trip just like gratuities. Chances are you will never need insurance but we prefer to be on the safe side. Enjoy your trip!

366 views on this thread so far ...

and I'm the only one that doesn't buy the insurance?

Let the flames begin

LOL.... I'm with you here. If it's a cheap Caribbean cruise.... and I can't afford to lose a couple of thousand dollars, then I probably shouldn't be travelling. BUT if it's an expensive cruise Europe/Asia etc (including airfare)... I wouldn't leave home without it...... ok, I lit the match:D

Just returned from a cruise 2 weeks ago and I can't believe I have a story to tell. One of my travel mates, a 55 year old lady in good health had to be air lifted by helicopter back to Florida the very first night of the cruise.

She had an ulcer that ruptured (didn't even know she had an ulcer) and was bleeding internally (lost 1/2 her blood) and needed a transfusion. They told her the evacuation could cost up to $60,000! If it had to happen she's lucky it happened when it did so she could be transported back to the US instead of who knows where!

BUY INSURANCE and really check what the policies cover!!!

IMHO, buying insurance is a choice, each of us is free to do what we think best. On our Alaska cruise a few years ago, two people were airlifted off the ship, and one was taken off by ambulance boat. Since this type of evacuation can cost in the multiple thousands of dollars, I feel the need to insure, even if the probability is remote that the same thing could happen to DH or me.

I am another one who does not carry the insurance that everyone says is absolutely necessary.

I totally disagree with every previous post. Yes - you do need medical and evacuation insurance with evacuation that will take you home as these are the events that can cost really big money. However, you do not need any insurance that covers cancellation, delay, loss of luggage, etc. unless you can not bear the financial loss that will occur if you cancel, are delayed, etc.

I can handle that loss so I only have medical and evacuation. A policy that covers my wife and I for a full year that covers us for any place in the world as long as we are more than a couple of hundred miles from our home costs us about $400.

We used it for a 4 day hospital stay in Australia and it covered all our expenses including follow up visits without any problems.

DON

Hi,

Get insurance in some way. Look up "costa concordia" if you want reasons why.

I NEVER buy travel insurance, but I do carry travel health insurance year round through the same insurer that insures our home. (Big Canadian Bank not based in Nova Scotia or Quebec.) :D

Always paying for travel using a VISA Gold or Platinum covers lost luggage and trip delays, death in the family... the only thing I can't get my money back for is what "X" calls cancel for any reason (and that I'm not sure)

If you travel even a month or more a year, get year round coverage from an insurer direct IMHO

I NEVER buy travel insurance, but I do carry travel health insurance year round through the same insurer that insures our home. (Big Canadian Bank not based in Nova Scotia or Quebec.) :D

Always paying for travel using a VISA Gold or Platinum covers lost luggage and trip delays, death in the family... the only thing I can't get my money back for is what "X" calls cancel for any reason (and that I'm not sure)

If you travel even a month or more a year, get year round coverage from an insurer direct IMHO

We do the opposite, since DH has all the travel medical you could want with his job. I like to be prepared for the cancellation or interruption, so go with it if it's a biggy trip. I was under the lure of paying for tons of stuff with Visa Platinum etc, but be careful. Found out recently the rules of car coverage vary in countries when you book with a credit card, and then there's the dastardly "pre-existing disease' clause that is catching everyone these days.

We don't use the cruise insurer, but go with good old bank insurance.:D

if you buy insurance within 10 days of booking and payment of deposit. If any of the travelers has any pre-existing condition-e.g. high blood pressure, diabetes, ulcers, cancer, colitis, back problems etc., you won't be paid for a cancellation or interruption if it is related to a pre-existing condtion-also defined as anything treated with medication or by a dr within the last 6 months, unless you bought the insurance within the first 10 days. We use TravelGard and have found their prices reasonable and competitive. We had to use it once when we had to cancel a planned trip due to surgery and we were reimbursed within 10 days.

Pay me now or pay me later!!

I too will jump in here for some input from you more seasoned travelers. I have only ever got travel insurance once for all of us and that was for our very first cruise. But never did for any others. Now that I have been on CC and of course all the other incidents that have been in the news lately with cruising, as well as the itinerary I am planning on getting it for my Med cruise in May. I am not however planning on including the trip cancellation portion of it, as they told me I could purchase the insurance up to 24hrs prior to leaving my home. So in my way of looking at it, I will know if I am going or not at that point so why waste the extra $$ I don't plan on canceling. If something happens between now and then, someone else can step in my place and go and pay whatever fees that may apply to do a change of name. The best and most reasonable for price is Travel Guard Gold all inclusive. Anyone have anything good or bad about this choice? BTW I have no existing medical conditions either.

Archived