Competitive Cruisers?

newbieMom

JH just posted something on his FB page about the ships on sticks, and there are so many comments about how much people love them :) (mine included) It got me thinking about them and excited to go get some more in July on the Magic. It also got me wondering what other cruisers think....are they fun? Are they lame? Do most of you participate in some sort of gaming activity? Are you annoyed by those that do? Are competitive families really cool or is it just a dorkfest? LOL! I know for me, it's fun to have team spirit as a family and competing together in whatever fun activity we can is one of my favorite things to do. Do you wish for more games and trivia? For less? I'm super curious about different points of view on this. Here's the pic I posted to JH and after looking at it again after almost 2 years, I really can't wait to get on that ship!!!

IMG_9979.jpg

I really like to play trivia and will join in with teams or do it solo . Last year on the Carnival Spirit there was a family group that were nasty . They booed everybody . They even had their small children making snide remarks . Finally the Carnival employee running the event threatened to eliminate them if they did not stop . I understand being competitive but that was just tacky .

I really like to play trivia and will join in with teams or do it solo . Last year on the Carnival Spirit there was a family group that were nasty . They booed everybody . They even had their small children making snide remarks . Finally the Carnival employee running the event threatened to eliminate them if they did not stop . I understand being competitive but that was just tacky .

We played trivia last cruise mainly just for fun and sat with a couple of older ladies - talk about cheaters, they basically started with blank sheets and just filled in answers as they were read out and then got all excited when they - hold your breath here - WON. When I kind of gave one a sideways look she said she wanted a trophy from each ship no matter how she got it. What an accomplishment eh? We have 3 and I have awesome stories behind each one - the best is my husbands from the Dr Ruth quiz - the place was in hysterics and I slunk out of the auditorium so fast. Other than trivia we are not the kind to be the centre of attention

newmom - that is a fantastic photo! Great angle, great lighting, great depth of focus. Did you know what you were doing, or did it just work out that way?

I've only been vaguely aware of the fact that some ship-board activities have prizes. But it's not really my thing. But it's fine with me if other people enjoy playing for them.

JH just posted something on his FB page about the ships on sticks, and there are so many comments about how much people love them :) (mine included) It got me thinking about them and excited to go get some more in July on the Magic. It also got me wondering what other cruisers think....are they fun? Are they lame? Do most of you participate in some sort of gaming activity? Are you annoyed by those that do? Are competitive families really cool or is it just a dorkfest? LOL! I know for me, it's fun to have team spirit as a family and competing together in whatever fun activity we can is one of my favorite things to do. Do you wish for more games and trivia? For less? I'm super curious about different points of view on this. Here's the pic I posted to JH and after looking at it again after almost 2 years, I really can't wait to get on that ship!!!

IMG_9979.jpg

I love your ships on a stick. I won double that amout on my cruises.

I love to play trivia. I like to have fun and relax.

I go on a personal mission to win one on every cruise...

to the point where I drive my mum crazy...

I am however in public not a sore loser, I never boo, and I will easily accept that I did not win.... It is all in fun, but my mum gets frustrated because I get a little bit obsessed...

I have won at least one of them on my last 3 Carnival Cruises, and it is my goal to get at least one from each ship I sail on....

I also have a few medals, but since they don't have the ship name on them I'm not as obsessed with those.

That being said, when I do win one, I only carry it as long as it takes to get back to my room, and then put it away.

I do genuinely enjoy trivia and some of the other games offered, and would still play even if the prizes were gone (but I hope the Ships on a stick stay forever.... but might be due for a new design again ;) )

I got a medal on my last cruise, but not by choice. We were hanging out one night by the piano bar one night when the pianist decided to have a loudest singing competition. My boyfriend volunteered me to join, and when I tried to say no, everyone in the bar started to heckle me until agreed to join. Talk about embarrassing. The winner got a ship on a stick, but the pianist felt so bad for me that she gave me a medal after I lost for being a sport.

We went to a ping pong tournament one day, and no one else showed up due to being at a port. As a result we "WON" and both received a necklace. Funny to us, as I am pretty bad at the game, but husband is quite good.

The lighting for this game, however, and location was quite bad. They eventually moved it to a round "hallway" so it was almost impossible to walk around the players to get to another part of the ship.

But.... we won... :)

My sister and I each won 2 ships-on-a stick on the Magic last week. We should have won another, missed winning by only 1 point. Drats. We were pretty pleased, though. There were some tough trivia people cruising with us.

Our husbands thought it was a hoot, watching us. Sometime they'd get in the spirit of things and fire off "Alice Cooper!" or "Flash!". Good times... :)

We played trivia last cruise mainly just for fun and sat with a couple of older ladies - talk about cheaters, they basically started with blank sheets and just filled in answers as they were read out and then got all excited when they - hold your breath here - WON. When I kind of gave one a sideways look she said she wanted a trophy from each ship no matter how she got it. What an accomplishment eh? We have 3 and I have awesome stories behind each one - the best is my husbands from the Dr Ruth quiz - the place was in hysterics and I slunk out of the auditorium so fast. Other than trivia we are not the kind to be the centre of attention

Hey you gotta give us more than that, we want the story(s)

I don't have a ship-on-a-stick but my DH did win me a bright orange plastic beach bag on an NCL cruise one time. It was for winning a golf game where whoever got the most balls in the holes won. The DH was just having fun but one of the other guys playing got really competitive and was getting upset that the DH was getting more balls in the holes than him. So I told the DH to go for it cause "Momma wants a brand new bag!" Well the DH won and the other guy was actually miffed! I thought it was so funny because we were just kidding and having fun. I carried that bag around for the rest of the trip almost everywhere I went!:D We kept hoping that we would pass the guy somewhere on the ship and he would see me with the bag. The DH and I got such a kick out of it. I guess you had to be there!:p

I think they're cute, and would love for my grandson to get one.

However, I'm not into them for myself. I'm not into a lot of those souvenir type things, though. I like Christmas ornaments and tee shirts, but anything else is just something else to find a place for and dust later on.

My DH, BF and I entered the Scavenger hunt a few years ago, BF knew where to find most of the stuff, the wall near the pursers desk has all the ship info, but the small print said we had to get three autographs, and thank heavens the DH read the small print. We won, but you can't cut a ship on a stick in half for two famileis. Our Carnival person gave us a second ship:), and then the BF went out on her own and won two more ships and three medals on that cruise.:eek: It was fun! For our next cruise, we will practive the bean bag toss.....:p

we played a bunch of trivia...DH is rediculously good at at....lot's of useless trivial knowledge stuffed away in his brain:) I still think it's kind of "hot" that he knows everything, but not when he's my apponent, LOL! My favorite story of all those ships was when we played "Michael Jackson Trivia". There were maybe 6 or so "teams" playing, amoung them a really sweet, older African American couple I had become friendly with in the laundry room (seriously! Fun people are just everywhere on a cruise!) Anyhow, after the game when they were giving the answers, they would ask the question to see what people answered and they asked the gentlemen if he had an answer for "Where was Michael Jackson born?" He and his wife looked at each other and shrugged, and my little blond six year old whispers it in his ear, he answers Gary, Indianna, and it's correct! He smiles at her and gives her a fist bump, LOL! I had forgotten that DH (A huge MJ fan) had taken the kids to his birthplace when they drove through part of Indianna to visit DH's brothers. It had been the highlight of a very boring drive.

We won a bunch, we lost even more ;) But every game we played was fun and we were usually cracking up the whole time:)

Archived