'Fess up....

Butterbean1000

I will admit it....I used to be a chair hog before I got on CC. I just never knew the rules and didn't know how much it bothered people.

Now days though if I'm not using it I give it up and I don't get up super early to find a chair.

Thanks CC!!!!:p

I love to lie in the sun and read but being just one I don't usually have a problem finding a chair. I think it's the groups that think they have to stay together that save all the chairs, the moms need to let those kids fend for themselves whenever they wake up and that could apply to best friends too.

We do spend quite a bit of time in the sun but are not up early to do so. And would rather have a root canal than be by the pool :eek: So, we never have problems finding a chair and don't need to hog them because we only stay in them while we're in the sun, say from 11-2, so when we're done, we're done. Stop by, get some lunch then back to the room.

Nope. I don't ever get up early enough. Also, I just totally don't see the need. I don't need to sit right by the pool, so I have always been able to find a chair or two, for the little time I spend out there. Like a number of other posters, I'm so fair skinned, I'm getting sun burned just talking about this. LOL;)

I haven't been before, but after reading all the posts on it I am thinking about printing tons of little reserved signs and putting them on all the empty chairs around the pool at 6am one morning, just to see if someone from CC takes my picture and I become famous on these boards.:p

Actually printing reserved signs sounds like a good idea. Get some nice colored signs with the carnival logo that say reserved for VIPs. I bet most people would not mess with that.

I also prefer sitting in the shade - if I'm relaxing outside, I am reading, and the sun tends to reflect off those white pages and hurts my eyes (even with sunglasses on). And yes, I am a book reader (not a nook or a kindle), I like to have a physical book in my hands and actually turn pages.

I am with you on this - love the physical part of reading a book - turning the pages etc. I tried books on tape for awhile in bed but kept falling asleep and had no idea where the heck I fell asleep at as the tape kept going - took me absolutely forever to get through one. That is now off my list of ways to read.

Nobody wants the seats that DH and I prefer. We spent our cruise, kicked back on a lifejacket bench, enjoying the view. No crowds, very little noise and got to see dolphins swimming next to the ship. Not the most comfortable, so when the backside got numb, we wandered around the ship. DH is ready to get back to 'his' bench. :D

Nobody wants the seats that DH and I prefer. We spent our cruise, kicked back on a lifejacket bench, enjoying the view. No crowds, very little noise and got to see dolphins swimming next to the ship. Not the most comfortable, so when the backside got numb, we wandered around the ship. DH is ready to get back to 'his' bench. :D

Thats where my fiance and i spent most of our time too. oh no does that mean there will be lifejacket bench hogs too?

i never knew about chair hogs until here. why does everyone want to be by a pool? you can see a pool on land. i want a quiet spot watching the waves.

I am definitely not a chair hog. I don't think I've ever spent more than an hour on the pool deck ever. I am too fair-skinned to sit in the sun. I tend to hang out in the shady chairs on the Serenity Deck (if the ship has one) or on my own shady balcony. It's too noisy by the main pool for me anyways.

What a great idea!

not a chair hog...

I have only ever used a lido deck chair ONCE in all of my cruises...

and I did that while we were docked in Mexico,

I don't do much sun tanning, and I find the lido deck often too crowded for my liking.

I am not necessarily a chair hog in theatres, but I try to grab my favourite seats and will sit through more than one 'event' waiting for whatever show I happen to be waiting for...

but if my behind is in the seat, I don't think that's chair hogging?? and I am only ever saving the area next to me for my cruising partner....

I got a little annoyed when people were trying to save an entire row in the theatre... with only like 1 person present... that was a bit much for me.

Oppsy! Never have done it on a cruise because like others I don't like to sit in the direct sun for very long. But I must confess that I've done it at my SIL's timeshare in Cabo by the pool because it's either do as otherd do or you don't get an umbrella and chair. My DH's friend who used to go to Cabo with us didn't like that I got up at 7A to be the first in line to get towels to throw over chairs for the five of us. So, I felt really bad and the next day I didn't do it. Yep, you guessed it...no chairs for us that day. I didn't do it the next day either. Finally, the friend said, "Geez, you gotta get out there tomorrow morning and get us some chairs!" Go figure!:D It's too bad because its the same as on cruise ships, if the people in charge don't enforce the rules, people do what they want, then you feel you have to do the same in order for it to be fair. Then you feel bad for being like them. Its a vicious cycle!:( I finally told the friend to get his arse up if he wanted an umbrella and chairs!:p

To answer your question: No. I see alot of people are confused, however. Just because someone sits in the shade, they can't be a chair hog?:confused:

I've never seen chairs in the shade hogged. And I've never understood the need to be right by the pool, either (unless of course you have little ones that you need to watch).

Actually printing reserved signs sounds like a good idea. Get some nice colored signs with the carnival logo that say reserved for VIPs. I bet most people would not mess with that.

Or what about signs that say reserved for Cruise Critic guest. I'm sure a lot of passengers haven't heard or don't come on here...they may not realize what cruise critic is, and just think it's some big, official company. Sprinkle about 20 or 30 of these signs around the Lido deck and then we can all have a good laugh at the inside joke when we go and find chairs reserved for us that others wouldn't touch. Hey--if Carnival refuses to do anything about it, and we can't beat the chair hogs, why not join them?

Nope, we don't chair hog. My DW and I, if we find two chairs together, will often go one at a time to get food from Lido and bring it back to the lounge chairs to eat because there's nothing that I would trust to hold our chairs.

If people are using their blue Carnival towels to hold a chair, and you decide to move them, a good excuse if someone does come back is say that there had been a couple of kids on the slide, and they came and took the towels and left thinking that they were their towels.

And people must know that chair hogging is wrong--even if they're not on cruise critic. Even my wife, who doesn't read cruise critic, on our first cruise made the comment that she thought it was against the rules for people to "save" chairs, and she doesn't do the same amount of online research as I do.

We have beaten this dead horse forever. But what I want to know is if you will 'fess up to being a chair hog. Everyone here vilifies the beast but no one has ever confessed. Just wondering......

Enjoy your cruise:cool:

Sorta. When we went on our extended family cruise we had a certain area, not in the sun, but a couple of tables that we basically monopolized. That was our meeting place since our cabins were spread out and made a good home base. But someone was almost always there, we kind of rotated, and we got to know the servers in that spot really well, that is where we gathered with our food, or drinks later. We could see the pool, but it wasn't poolside, and we were really friendly so anyone could have joined us, but it became "our spot" and we hogged it.

I am NOT guilty of being a chair hog. We occupy the chairs we've claimed. One or the other of us may get up to use the restroom or get a drink, one at a time, but that's it.

I don't necessarily care to be by the pool, but he does. We usually wind up elsewhere ..... because of the 'hogs'.

I have never tried to "reserve" a lounge chair with a book, towel, shoe, etc.

We are not ones to want to sit right by the pool, and always go up a deck so have never had trouble finding loungers up there, on any ship.

On our last cruise the Serenity area was busy, but we were able to spend some time up there on a couple of port days when it was nearly empty. Could have even had a hammock but was too lazy to get out of the lounger and get it. :)

Archived