British airways overseas flight baggage?

april47

I'm plain old economy flying LGW - SJU with BA and here is what is shown on my online booking with them :

Free baggage allowance

Checked baggage per passenger

Adults and children: 2 bags at 23kg (51lbs) per bag

Infants (with a seat): 2 bags at 23kg (51lbs) per bag

Infants (without a seat): 1 bag at 23kg (51lbs)

In addition to their baggage allowance infants and children, up to age 11, can also take one fully collapsible pushchair (stroller) and one car seat.

There are restrictions on what you may pack and on the dimensions of your bags.

You may be charged for extra or overweight bags.

Yes, I looked at the website for BA but the chart for baggage was confusing based on category. Can I bring 2 suitcases on an overseas flight if I am plain old economy?

From what country are you traveling? The US? Where are you going? Do you have any status? What class are you in? Can't answer accurately without this information.

From what country are you traveling? The US? Where are you going? Do you have any status? What class are you in? Can't answer accurately without this information.

Texas, and the cheapest status/class they have for non-stop unfortunately.:)

Texas, and the cheapest status/class they have for non-stop unfortunately.:)

Are you on BA or is your flight really operated by AA? You didn't say where you are going, so I just looked at Texas-LHR. If it's BA, you are allowed one bag:

1 bag at 23kg (51lbs)

• In addition to their baggage allowance infants and children, up to age 11, can also take one fully collapsible pushchair (stroller) and one car seat.
  • There are restrictions on what you may pack and on the dimensions of your bags.
  • You may be charged for extra or overweight bags.

Are you on BA or is your flight really operated by AA? You didn't say where you are going, so I just looked at Texas-LHR. If it's BA, you are allowed one bag:

1 bag at 23kg (51lbs)

• In addition to their baggage allowance infants and children, up to age 11, can also take one fully collapsible pushchair (stroller) and one car seat.
  • There are restrictions on what you may pack and on the dimensions of your bags.
  • You may be charged for extra or overweight bags.

I believe you are looking at the World Traveller DOMESTIC chart, where the OP is traveling as a World Traveller Y class, which allows 2 bags. I am travelling BA from LHR-LAX on economy, and we have 2 bags each allowed.

• 4 months later...

We are flying from Gatwick to Barbados with BA next February. What is our checked baggage allowance and also our cabin allowance please.

Their web site so to confusing for a simpleton like me......

many thanks

I believe you are looking at the World Traveller DOMESTIC chart, where the OP is traveling as a World Traveller Y class, which allows 2 bags. I am travelling BA from LHR-LAX on economy, and we have 2 bags each allowed.

Better check that again. World Traveler Y class is FULL FARE economy. IF you paid the big bucks for an unrestricted economy ticket, you get two bags. If you got any kind of discounted economy ticket, you are restricted to one free checked bag (23kg) UNLESS you have status. There may be a few other exceptions (tour group, possibly cruise air tickets booked a year ago before the luggage allowance was reduced, etc., etc.) but BA reduced their free checked luggage about the same time AA did.

Be prepared that BA is very tough on the rules for baggage both checked and carry on.

I'm not kidding!

Really? I must have been lucky as I'm frequently a few kilos over and they've never charged me excess baggage. There allowances are pretty good to start with especially the no weight restriction on cabin baggage weight and the really reasonable flat fee they charge for an additional bag. Mind you I fly with them out of Europe, maybe they have different policy on flights out of the US.

I have to say.. there is a certain thrill involved in solving the riddles posed by OPs such as this one, who introduce way too little info to begin with and when they clarify they're so ambiguous and minimalist. Quite a thrill.

I did not find it cryptic. They live in Houston (USA) and are flying British overseas in economy.

"British airways overseas flight baggage"

The only issue seems to be when they purchased their tickets based on included baggage limits.

I did not find it cryptic. They live in Houston (USA) and are flying British overseas in economy.

"British airways overseas flight baggage"

• You had to research where they live -- they didn't say.
  • You had to assume they were departing from their home city on BA -- they didn't say.
  • "Overseas" doesn't mean much, especially on BA whose home base is on an island. AMS is overseas from the UK.
  • "Economy" is not a class of service that BA sells. They have WT, WT+, etc. In BA lingo, "Economy" can refer to WT or WT+ or Y class, and that impacts the baggage allowance. See http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagchk/public/ where BA uses the word "Economy" to refer to multiple different allowances.
  • No idea where OP is going to, and that influences baggage limits

Given that the OP has still provided little more than cryptic clues, who knows what the real answer is??

BA certainly knows the answer. A quick phone call is all it takes and the answer is given. BA knows what kind of ticket they have and the can easily look up the rules.

I'll bet its only 1 free bag.

• 2 weeks later...

If flying out of CPH to Amstersdam on BA and then catching a Delta flight to Memphis, how do you determine how much baggage you can carry? Sorry if this sounds stupid but if I can carry 2 on BA and only 1 on Delta, when do I pay the extra baggage fee or would I be exempt since the flight started on BA? Obviously you can tell I don't fly often.

If flying out of CPH to Amstersdam on BA and then catching a Delta flight to Memphis, how do you determine how much baggage you can carry? Sorry if this sounds stupid but if I can carry 2 on BA and only 1 on Delta, when do I pay the extra baggage fee or would I be exempt since the flight started on BA? Obviously you can tell I don't fly often.
Are you SURE that you are on BA from CPH to AMS? Because any BA flight between the two would involve a connection at Heathrow.

Could you possibly be on either KLM or SAS?

Or was this just a hypothetical using made-up airline combinations?

When I am only allowed one bag (which rarely happens on the international flights I would book)...I'll gladly pay for the second bag...small concession in the bigger picture and expense I've already paid for my vacation ;):)

Are you SURE that you are on BA from CPH to AMS? Because any BA flight between the two would involve a connection at Heathrow.

Could you possibly be on either KLM or SAS?

Or was this just a hypothetical using made-up airline combinations?

Oops my bad. I meant KLM. Thanks for catching.

Your use of the words "carry 2 on" could be interpreted in several ways. But here's a start.

KL and DL have a harmonized checked bag policy across the Atlantic. Both give you one free checked bag of up to 50 pounds. They have different carry-on policies, and you would be subject to the policy of each airline when flying on that carrier. KL is stricter on cabin baggage weight than DL, and likely to be so on size as well.

Your use of the words "carry 2 on" could be interpreted in several ways. But here's a start.

KL and DL have a harmonized checked bag policy across the Atlantic. Both give you one free checked bag of up to 50 pounds. They have different carry-on policies, and you would be subject to the policy of each airline when flying on that carrier. KL is stricter on cabin baggage weight than DL, and likely to be so on size as well.

That really answers my question. My writing skills are obviously lacking. I should have said would I be allowed to "check" 2 bags for free on KL and if so would I owe more when I switch to Dl as they only allow 1 free bag up to 50lbs. Your answer that both only allow 1 free checked bag answered my question. Thanks

Archived