Costa Allegra caught fire and now adrift

Mikel1733

http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/29/10539227-costa-allegra-passengers-delayed-at-sea

Best line of the article.

Conditions on board the disabled Costa Allegra are "regular," Costa Cruises said Wednesday. The company said soft drinks, cold cuts, cheese and fruit are available to eat and drink, mineral water is offered for personal hygiene, and fresh bread was delivered by helicopter.

So eating cold food, not being able to shower or flush the toilets and sleeping on deck is "normal".

Good to know.

Sky are reporting that the fishing boat towing the ship has refused to allow the two tugs to assist in the rescue. The ship will be delayed a further few hours into the Seychelles.

Could the fishing boat be claiming salvage rights or something similar ??

The news just keeps getting worse and worse on this fine Costa voyage...

Official: Fight over cruise ship tow cost time

http://www.wral.com/news/national_world/world/story/10794017/

VICTORIA, Seychelles — A disabled cruise ship will spend an extra 10 to 12 hours at sea without electricity, air conditioning or toilet facilities because a French fishing vessel that was first to respond to the drifting cruiser refused to give way to faster tug boats, a Seychelles government official said Wednesday. (more at url)

http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/29/10539227-costa-allegra-passengers-delayed-at-sea

So eating cold food, not being able to shower or flush the toilets and sleeping on deck is "normal".

Good to know.

It is actually an upgrade from the usual Costa cruise which involves swimming away from a sinking ship.

Sounds like Costa is a bit paranoid. Why on earth would anyone deliberately set fire to a ship they were traveling on?????????

Would it go better for Costa from a legal and insurance perspective if they found that one low level "crazy" crew member set the fire over finding that the fire is due to their poor maintenance?

In other news, the probability that your cruise will involve a major operational incident that involves the ship sinking or becoming disabled by fire across the entire industry over the past 30 years is 0.00105%

The probability so far in 2012 that your cruise on Costa will involve a major operational incident that involves the ship sinking or becoming disabled by fire is 1.7857%

Any questions?

Good to know.

Just wondering.. are the words "regular" and "normal" synonyms. I know, I know...I am nit-picking.

I just understood the conditions to be passable... no one is starving...everyone is uncomfortable

Emi

Would it go better for Costa from a legal and insurance perspective if they found that one low level "crazy" crew member set the fire over finding that the fire is due to their poor maintenance?

Good thought! About this time, they're probably grasping at any straw that would deflect the blame away from the company.

Sky are reporting that the fishing boat towing the ship has refused to allow the two tugs to assist in the rescue. The ship will be delayed a further few hours into the Seychelles.

Could the fishing boat be claiming salvage rights or something similar ??

I was thinking of this, just a day or two ago. Yes of course the fishing boat intends to claim salvage rights! This is his big opportunity to get rich: he's not silly.

Good thought! About this time, they're probably grasping at any straw that would deflect the blame away from the company.
In the same way we saw the Capt. of Concordia being 'thrown under the bus' 6 wks. ago, we can now look forward to the Chief Engineer

or whoever's in charge of the engine room to get thrown under the bus, come March which is tomorrow! Its never Costa Corp's fault is it.

Sounds like Costa is a bit paranoid. Why on earth would anyone deliberately set fire to a ship they were traveling on?????????

Why would anyone fly a plane they were traveling on into a building?????

Unfortunately the world can be a messed-up place.

I was thinking of this, just a day or two ago. Yes of course the fishing boat intends to claim salvage rights! This is his big opportunity to get rich: he's not silly.
The Fishing vessel crew are unlikely to get 'salvage rights' as the ship was not abandoned. Unless the Captain of the Allegra agreed to a Lloyds open form (Salvage) then its likely to be a set amount. If the fv agreed to pass the line to the two tugs then they would be allowed to either, renegotiate the tow or claim the money over the fishing vessel as the contract would have been broken by the fv in not completing the tow.

Complicated I know but its all a case of money. This fishing vessel has / is losing a lot of money, its tow a disabled ship, its losing fishing time, and they have overheads to meet.

regards

:)

Read about Morro Castle. The fire was likely set by a disgruntled radio officer, who was soon to lose his job, though never proven.

(In french) "look what we have hooked today" :D

Must say, she's neither big, nor new, nor at all pretty but I certainly enjoyed my Costa Allegra experience. So sad for these passengers.

I wonder if we'll hear anything first hand on the board (as with Concordia). Didn't seem to be a Roll-Call for this cruise.

Wednesday, February 29th 2012

Latest from Costa :

Time 5.30 pm (CET)

Costa Cruises informs that the member of Costa “Care Team” reached Costa Allegra and met Guests on board to assess their state of health and serenity as well as to collect their needs for disembarkation.

From Guests’s requests on board it comes out that, up to now, 376 Guests out of 627 agreed on the Costa Cruises's proposal to continue their vacation in Seychelles; these Guests will be accommodated by Costa Cruises, at its expenses, in high quality hotel structures in the following islands: Praslin, La Digue, Silhouette and Cerfs.

Costa Cruises will arrange also homeward flights at the end of the vacation.

The remaining 251 Guests decided to return their homes with flights organised by Costa Cruises departing from Mahé on Thursday evening, March 1.

Some people travel for more than just the sugary drink of the day, a pool a sand beach and a buffet. Some people like to travel to interesting places, take challenging trips and see spectacular sights and meet interesting people in places where air conditioned motor coaches don't go. These people are called travellers as opposed to tourists.

Well said One of our better cruises was in a small ship (460 passengers) from Mombasa to the Seychelles and back and we had a fantastic time. All the ports were unusual and we saw and experienced things we would not do in the Caribbean or Mediterranean or Pacific Islands

Wednesday, February 29th 2012

Latest from Costa :

Time 5.30 pm (CET)

Costa Cruises informs that the member of Costa “Care Team” reached Costa Allegra and met Guests on board to assess their state of health and serenity as well as to collect their needs for disembarkation.

From Guests’s requests on board it comes out that, up to now, 376 Guests out of 627 agreed on the Costa Cruises's proposal to continue their vacation in Seychelles; these Guests will be accommodated by Costa Cruises, at its expenses, in high quality hotel structures in the following islands: Praslin, La Digue, Silhouette and Cerfs.

Costa Cruises will arrange also homeward flights at the end of the vacation.

The remaining 251 Guests decided to return their homes with flights organised by Costa Cruises departing from Mahé on Thursday evening, March 1.

So instead of getting the high quality cruise with food that they paid for - the Costa customers are merely being placed in 3 star hotels on the islands.

Can't wait to hear what the people on this cruise have to say about Costa's competence. I am sure the upcoming press reports will be insightful in displaying the passengers' exasperation.

So instead of getting the high quality cruise with food that they paid for - the Costa customers are merely being placed in 3 star hotels on the islands.

Can't wait to hear what the people on this cruise have to say about Costa's competence. I am sure the upcoming press reports will be insightful in displaying the passengers' exasperation.

Ahhhh so the cruise line you spend days slagging off is now "high quality"..:rolleyes:

And there is no mention of "three star" hotels here. "HIGH QUALITY hotels is what they are quoting!

I'm prepared to make the assumption their cruise and air will also be refunded, if not I would be very surprised.

Good to know.

Hey, lets be positive:

Many cruise ships offer al fresco dining. Only Costa Cruise ships offer al fresco sleeping as well as dining!!

Ahhhh so the cruise line you spend days slagging off is now "high quality"..:rolleyes:

And there is no mention of "three star" hotels here. "HIGH QUALITY hotels is what they are quoting!

I can only assume you are suggesting that any structure with a roof on a remote island is an upgrade from a "high quality" cruise on Costa. :cool:

Archived