Costa Allegra caught fire and now adrift

Mikel1733

Definitely not the most exciting looking ship :( I hope everyone is ok. The media is having a field day with the cruising industry right now. Have they even bothered to report how many cruises go out each week and never have an incident? Probably not.

that looks more like a tender on the oasis and allure.

This is a really key point as to how conditions are.. They have some power, but is it enough to generate water and more importantly are any sanitary facilities working??

Anyone seen any info on this?

They have indicated that essential supplies are being maintained, this is to radios, navigational and other

important equipment, sorry but toilets come well down the li:Dst !!

rgds

I think Splendor is the sister ship to Concordia.

Splendor and Concordia are twin ships. but exactly at the same time. Costa could not afford both ships so the Splendor was fitted for Carnival. Just strange that the Splendor and the Alegra both had engine fires.

Splendor and Concordia are twin ships. but exactly at the same time. Costa could not afford both ships so the Splendor was fitted for Carnival. Just strange that the Splendor and the Alegra both had engine fires.

Not really strange at all. QM2 had a fire a few years back which left it adrift for 3 hours. It is pure coincidence. Engine fires have happened many times before. This was only reported in the media because of Concordia.

The passengers on this ship are probably just as 'safe' as the passengers on the Concordia right after it hit the rock. I wouldn't trust a word from Costa or Carnival. This corporation is run by managers and bean counters. Certainly no leaders to be found.

The passengers on this ship are probably just as 'safe' as the passengers on the Concordia right after it hit the rock. I wouldn't trust a word from Costa or Carnival. This corporation is run by managers and bean counters. Certainly no leaders to be found.

That leads to one follow-up thought.

Costa had a great reputation until it was purchased by Carnival and has only had a medicore reputation since the purchase.

Carnival is very focused on financial aspects of the operation and determining how to squeeze out every possible dime operationally. They have the best financial ratios, profitability, higher dividend, etc. of all the cruise lines that publicly report.

Is there a correlation between being purchased by Carnival Corp and the quality of service to passengers on a cruise line? Before/After/etc. Does it hold true for other cruiselines in Carnival Corp family. Or is this all bunk?

Definitely not the most exciting looking ship :( I hope everyone is ok. The media is having a field day with the cruising industry right now. Have they even bothered to report how many cruises go out each week and never have an incident? Probably not.

*** Calculates industry operational incidents . . . . . . . .

No, the 99.998947% of cruises that go out without any major operational incident are not worth reporting on.

This is a really key point as to how conditions are..

They have some power, but is it enough to generate water

and more importantly are any sanitary facilities working??

Anyone seen any info on this?

This is easily the worst of all their problems on board!

HazMat will have to go in and clean up once everyone's off in Mahe.

You don't want to be there, and the media don't want to talk about it.

Who can blame them?

Oh they talked about it at length when it happened on the Splendor.

Depending on how much power they can generate, getting 2-3 public rest rooms is a possibility. With a relatively small passenger load, that would be unpleasant, but doable..

This is easily the worst of all their problems on board!

HazMat will have to go in and clean up once everyone's off in Mahe.

You don't want to be there, and the media don't want to talk about it.

Who can blame them?

Bear in mind Allegra carries quite a few less passengers than Splendor/Concordia as well.

It's bad luck on Costa's part this happened on one of their ships, as was mentioned, fires happen all the time and this is only being reported so much because it IS a Costa vessel.

I just wonder if Costa will ahve learned there lessons and treat the passengers from the Allegra a lot better than they treated us on the Concordia. The amount of times I have heard from other passengers, if they had only treated us properly they would have already settled so many of the claims.

Ironically had a phone call from Carnival Australia whilst I was in Hospital, I rang her back today, she said she realised some of the Australians were having difficulty dealing with the Shanghai office and she would be the new contact point for us to deal with, yay good timing after I just had my gall bladder taken out due to stress caused by dealing with their Shanghai office. Of course they forgot to tell Shanghai this as a half hour later they called asking for Miss Michelle I told them not to call me again.

Anyway I just hope that everyone aboard the Allegra is okay, and that they treat them properly especially the poor dancer and her mum in England who's brother was on the Concordia.

I just wonder if Costa will ahve learned there lessons and treat the passengers from the Allegra a lot better than they treated us on the Concordia. The amount of times I have heard from other passengers, if they had only treated us properly they would have already settled so many of the claims.

Ironically had a phone call from Carnival Australia whilst I was in Hospital, I rang her back today, she said she realised some of the Australians were having difficulty dealing with the Shanghai office and she would be the new contact point for us to deal with, yay good timing after I just had my gall bladder taken out due to stress caused by dealing with their Shanghai office. Of course they forgot to tell Shanghai this as a half hour later they called asking for Miss Michelle I told them not to call me again.

Anyway I just hope that everyone aboard the Allegra is okay, and that they treat them properly especially the poor dancer and her mum in England who's brother was on the Concordia.

I am sorry to hear that you were in the hospital. I hope your recovery at home goes well and things go more smoothly in your dealings with Costa moving forward.

Based on a news report I just saw, it would appear Costa has not made any plans for landing the pax in Mahe (sp) and flying them out. I'd think they could round up from European lines charters of a few jumbo jets to get all the pax to the final destination of the ship and sort out who goes where from there...

All they would need is 3 charter jets, maybe just 2 with high capacity seating configurations to get folks flown out...the news reporter was saying they would figure out hotel rooms once the ship arrives. WOW :eek:

I hope the news is just wrong, but if not then Costa is headed for a big faliure again.

Hope you are recovering well after the surgery...had that one six or seven years ago was glad when it was out and I felt better a couple days after the surgery. Hope you get that same good feeling quickly as well.

WHAT are the odds??

Costa Allegra Fire: Jayne Thomas, Mom, Talks About Having Her Children On Costa Allegra And Costa Concordia Cruise Ships

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/28/costa-allegra-fire-jayne-thomas-_n_1306623.html?1330445737&icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl19%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D139128

WHAT are the odds??

Costa Allegra Fire: Jayne Thomas, Mom, Talks About Having Her Children On Costa Allegra And Costa Concordia Cruise Ships

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/28/costa-allegra-fire-jayne-thomas-_n_1306623.html?1330445737&icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl19%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D139128

It's almost like this woman named Violette Jessop, who was a stewardess on both the Titanic and Titanic's sister Britannic when it was sunk in WWI after striking a mine.

Black humour is the only thing that kept us going during the Falklands and the Gulf.......

You cant crack me Im a rubber duck

rgds

Black humour is a wonderful by product of schadenfreude.With the lack of toilet facilities Noro must be a worry, also when the ship gets close to shore the flies and mossies will think its Christmas.

http://www.mdtravelhealth.com/destinations/africa/seychelles.php

Based on a news report I just saw, it would appear Costa has not made any plans for landing the pax in Mahe (sp) and flying them out. I'd think they could round up from European lines charters of a few jumbo jets to get all the pax to the final destination of the ship and sort out who goes where from there...

All they would need is 3 charter jets, maybe just 2 with high capacity seating configurations to get folks flown out...the news reporter was saying they would figure out hotel rooms once the ship arrives. WOW :eek:

I hope the news is just wrong, but if not then Costa is headed for a big faliure again.

Hope you are recovering well after the surgery...had that one six or seven years ago was glad when it was out and I felt better a couple days after the surgery. Hope you get that same good feeling quickly as well.

Update from yahoo Wednesday AM. Good news for the passengers:

"Gilbert Faure, the chief executive of the Seychelles' civil aviation authority, said that planes are being lined up to fly the passengers of the stricken vessel back to Rome almost immediately after arriving in port between 6am and 7am (2am to 3am GMT) on Thursday.

Mr Faure said three aircraft with seats for at least 540 passengers will depart to Rome within hours of the Costa Allegra's arrival at Mahe."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/stricken-liner-dock-tomorrow-082818546.html

Hope your recovery goes smoothly.

The Allegra and Marina have rather unique histories as they were both built as container ships (sister ships) and later converted into cruise ships. The Allegra was the "Annie Johnson" for Sweden-based Rederi AB Nordstjernan, and the Marina was the "Axel Johnson".

Here's a photo of the Axel Johnson before she became the Costa Marina.

johnson2.jpg

It is interesting to note that "A representative of the cruise ship company Costa Crociere said Wednesday that an investigation needs to be carried out before a determination is made as to whether the fire was an accident or set deliberately. The official said that investigators from the International Maritime Authority could also investigate. The official said he was not authorized to be identified."

Italian crew to assess cause of cruise ship fire

http://www.wral.com/news/national_world/world/story/10793240/

Here are more details as noted by others. This story is from USA TODAY this morning and they have this headline: "Italian crew to assess cause of Costa Allegra fire" with these highlights: "Costa Cruises said Wednesday that an investigation needs to be carried out before a determination is made as to whether the fire was an accident or set deliberately. Three planes with a seating capacity of at least 580 passengers were lined up to fly the passengers of the cruise ship Costa Allegra back. The first plane is tentatively scheduled to leave Thursday afternoon. Costa said passengers could choose to be flown to Italy, Germany or France. Passengers could also choose to stay in the Seychelles for up to two weeks, about the length the cruise was initially supposed to last. Costa would pay for the Seychelles stay."

Full story at:

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/story/2012-02-29/Passengers-on-disabled-cruise-ship-to-fly-to-Rome/53298918/1

Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 67,273 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

It is interesting to note that "A representative of the cruise ship company Costa Crociere said Wednesday that an investigation needs to be carried out before a determination is made as to whether the fire was an accident or set deliberately. The official said that investigators from the International Maritime Authority could also investigate. The official said he was not authorized to be identified."

Italian crew to assess cause of cruise ship fire

http://www.wral.com/news/national_world/world/story/10793240/

Sounds like Costa is a bit paranoid. Why on earth would anyone deliberately set fire to a ship they were traveling on?????????

Archived