Costa Allegra caught fire and now adrift

Mikel1733

This year alone 2012- (and keep in mind these are only things that made the headlines):

- The Costa Concordia halfway sank ending the lives of approx. 32 people and injuring others.

- The Carnvial Fantasy had a jumper who jumped in the atrium and died.

- An RCCL ship (I believe it was Liberty of the Seas)... lady left the nightclub and fell down a flight of stairs and died

- Norovirus attacked the Crown Princess so badly that they had to end their trip early and return back to port.

- Noro has also heavily impacted and made headlines on a RCCL ship (yesterday and a Carnival ship last month.)

- 22 passengers were just robbed during an excursion (they were Carnival passengers)

- A cruise ship employee aboard the Carnival Magic fell overboard while working (apparently - don't know the whole story yet). Luckily, was rescued but still made headlines.

( And now, another ship... Costa Allegra has a fire...)

So yeah I'd agree with the poster that said this hasn't been a good year for cruising. And these are only the things I know about...

With all of that said.. I still LOVE cruising and will take any cruises that anyone wants to give up. Haha.

So right about all this and I agree that I still love cruising despite it all and would hop on board today if I could. By the way, I read the review of your last cruise and loved it.

We sailed on the Allegra out from China. What a wonderful time we had. Not a huge ship. Not a luxury ship. Just a pleasant trip. We were very excited to see her in Rhodes last year and remember the joy of cruising on her.

We are very sad :( to see that she is in trouble. I hope everyone gets back safely.

This will not stop us cruising. I'm already planning the next one.

Why would anyone in their RIGHT MIND even want to cruise through this terrible area of the world?

Some people travel for more than just the sugary drink of the day, a pool a sand beach and a buffet. Some people like to travel to interesting places, take challenging trips and see spectacular sights and meet interesting people in places where air conditioned motor coaches don't go. These people are called travellers as opposed to tourists.

Some people travel for more than just the sugary drink of the day, a pool a sand beach and a buffet. Some people like to travel to interesting places, take challenging trips and see spectacular sights and meet interesting people in places where air conditioned motor coaches don't go. These people are called travellers as opposed to tourists.

I agree! We love an adventure. So much we have stayed for a hurricane and we live on a beach!

My family couldn't believe we ventured into a port in Mexico where there were no tourists and ate at a restaurant where we were the only non-mexicans in there. 2 great meals, 3 corona's each = $20 US with tip. One of the best meals ever! :D And we were not sick. Thank goodness. ;)

Brilliantly put and well done!

I have immensely enjoyed my travels around the world; from Kenya to the Himalayas, Rio de Janeiro to half of Europe, trekked for three months through Indonesia and India, spent weeks in Egypt and England, wandered though southeast Asia and Japan, and ventured from coast to coast to coast in the US. I also lived in Naples, Italy for two years and it was the highlight of my life.

I love being a 'traveler' and not a 'tourist'.

Completely agree. I loved my Indian Ocean cruise last year, so much that I headed back 5 months later for a land based holiday so I could see more.

Very well put Mick ! When we head West, we know we are going for a "frilly" vacation, when we go East to Egypt, Africa and the Indian Ocean, its a time for discovery!

Reports are being made in the BBC News website that a french fishing vessel which arrived on scene last night has commenced a tow of the stricken Cruise Liner Costa Allegra to the nearest island

There is no indication of how long the tow is likely to take or any other details on the Fishing vessel to allow a guess at when its likely to arrive in port.......

All passengers and crew are reported as being 'well'

A Costa new release is here

Costa Allegra - update

Tuesday, February 28th 2012

Time 09.30 am (CET)

The risk of fire is the one traditionally considered most seriously risk on board a ship or a boat and is therefore the subject of special preventive measures, training of personnel and plans for active protection.

All ships, from the design and building stages in the yard, are built using criteria and materials making them safe and reliable from the point of view of fire prevention.

As provided for by the various international regulations and the Company’s procedures, all fire protection systems and equipment are subjected to regular tests, trials and inspections.

In the event of a fire, the ship’s structure itself is designed in order to isolate the fire, thus making it more manageable and less dangerous. To this end the ship is divided into main vertical areas, separated by special metal bulkheads of large thickness equipped with special fire doors with the same characteristics as the bulkheads, which, once closed, manually or from the navigating bridge, are fire-retarding divisions.

The ventilation, air extraction and conditioning ducts are equipped with special fire dampers which automatically close in the event of high temperature in order to stop the air flow, in order to avoid to feed the fire.

All ship spaces, including crew and passenger accommodation spaces, are equipped with fire detectors automatically signalling the presence of smoke or high temperature to the navigating bridge. Moreover, any person aboard can signal the outbreak of a fire by means of the numerous manually operated alarms located throughout the vessel.

If the temperature reaches high levels, thousands of sprinkler heads (atomisation plants/sprinklers), located on ceilings, are automatically activated.

Some particularly hazardous spaces are protected by fixed fire-extinguishing systems (i.e. carbon dioxide for machinery spaces, steam for the galley kitchenette hoods, nebulized water for the deep-fryer, etc.).

Throughout the vessel and in all spaces there are also hundreds of portable fire extinguishers of different kinds (for use in different types of fires) and permanent stations equipped with fire hoses connected to a pressurised water plant.

The effectiveness of all fire-fighting equipment is ensured by regular maintenance and testing according to a precise schedule with set intervals.

Fire-fighting teams, consisting of highly qualified trained experts are always aboard and take part in regular drills. In addition, all crewmembers participate in practical training sessions and theory courses during which they are taught how to react in case of fire or smoke, the use of fire-fighting equipment and procedures to be followed.

These measures allowed to bring promptly under control and extinguish the fire broke out in the local generators on Costa Allegra.

Time 08.30 am (CET)

An helicopter took off from Mahè this morning and it is arriving to the area where Costa Allegra is located, bringing to the ship both food and communication devices (satellite phones and VHF radios). The weather is good. Guests were invited to prepare their luggage in order to be ready for the time of disembarkation. The ship is expected to arrive to Desroches island tomorrow morning.

Time 07.30 am (CET)

Costa Allegra, since tonight, has been towed by the french ocean fishing vessels "Travignon"; route direction is Desroches island. Guests onboard are continuosly informed and assisted by the Captain and the staff onboard; a cold breakfast was served this morning.

Time 00.00 am (CET)

The French ocean-going fishing ship reached Costa Allegra and the two captains are in radio contact. At dawn Costa will evaluate the assistance operations the fishing vessel can provide.

Monday, February 27th 2012

Time 11.00 pm (CET)

As of 10pm tonight, after having contacted all the 627 passengers contact emergency numbers, Costa Crociere reached families/relatives of 402 passengers on a total of 627 (excluded the 9 italian marines onboard for security reasons).

All the crew families/relatives have been contacted directly by the Company or through the manning agent.

Time 10.00 pm (CET)

The first boat expected to reach Costa Allegra during the next few hours is a French-flagged, 295-foot-long (90 meters) ocean-going fishing ship. Another ship of similar size currently is sailing toward Costa Allegra and will join two merchant ships and two tugboats expected to arrive tomorrow afternoon.

Upon arrival of the first ship, its captain will decide how to operate, depending on weather and ship conditions, to best support Costa Allegra.

Currently, Costa Allegra is steady and conditions are safe.

Costa Cruises is keeping in touch with guests' families via their emergency-contact numbers. The line also is communicating with the families of crew, most of whom are Italian and eastern European, through local crew-recruiting organizations.

Costa Allegra is in compliance with all certificates required by both national and international regulations. Moreover, in October 2011 the ship received its regularly scheduled maintenance in dry dock.

Time 6.30 pm (CET)

The number 0207 79 40 33 00 is active.

Time 4.00 pm (CET)

Costa Cruises has been notified today at 10,39 CET that a fire broke out on board the M/V Costa Allegra in the electric generators room located in the aft.

The shipboard fire-extinguishing system and procedures were promptly activated and the special fire-fighting squads intervened to extinguish fire.

The Fire did not spread to any other area of the ship. There were no injuries or casualties.

As a precaution, on board, it has been promptly given the general emergency alarm and all passengers and crew members - not engaged in the management of the emergency -reached the muster stations with he due safety equipment.

Currently the ship is over 200 miles south-west of the Seychelles, and at about 20 miles from Alphonse Island.

Inspections on the state of the engine room are on-going, in order to restart the necessary equipment to reactivate the functionality of the ship.

According to the procedures, the relevant authorities were alerted, including the Maritime Rescue Control Centre in Rome, which are following the situation ready to provide the necessary support. Costa Allegra sent out the ‘distress’ signal.

Costa Crociere and the relevant authorities are active to provide the ship with the necessary support according to the development of the situation.

Costa Allegra is going to be reached by tugs and other naval and aerial units.

On board Costa Allegra there are 636 passengers of various nationalities and 413 crew members.

The ship, left Saturday, February 25 Diego Suarez and was cruising towards the port of Victoria (Mahè - Seychelles) where it was expected to arrive tomorrow February 28.

NATIONALITY NUMBER OF GUESTS

ITALIAN 135

FRENCH 127

AUSTRIAN 97

SWISS 90

GERMAN 38

BRITISH 31

MAURITIAN 15

RUSSIAN 15

SPANISH 15

CANADIAN 13

BELGIAN 13

SLOVENIAN 12

AMERICAN 8

CROATIAN 6

CZECH 4

LATVIAN 3

PORTUGUESE 2

POLISH 2

ROMANIAN 2

BRAZILIAN 2

HUNGARIAN 2

LUXEMBOURGER 1

ALGERIAN 1

URUGUAYAN 1

IRISH 1

GRAND TOTAL 636

unquote

The bbc report can be found here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-17187420

regards

:)

My sentiments exactly! I cruise to see the WORLD!:D

JoyceG

Would it be fair to say that Costa is rapidly redefining the meaning of the term "adventure cruising"?:cool:

Wrong type of "adventure"!! It's a long, long time from Tuesday until Thursday to be stuck on the deck, not getting proper food, etc. A later BBC story says it is being towed by a French fishing boat around 250km (155 miles) to the island of Mahe, which is home to the Seychelles capital and largest city, Victoria.

More recent details indicate: "Helicopters will ferry food and flashlights to more than 1,000 passengers and crew stuck aboard a disabled cruise ship."

When Carnival had its ship problem off of the Mexico and California coast, the US aircraft carrier Ronald Reagan was nearby and was able to supply some food and other supplies. Relief help is not as handy or quick in the Indian Ocean.

See more from AP wire story within the past half hour:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hFFdMpjdBQqNzXbmllUuExORfmtg?docId=85dfb4c9b7f9449e862f87040018434c

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 67,001 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Due to the logistical nightmare of transferring the passengers ashore to the initially name landing island the company have now decided to tow the ship to the main Seychelles island, Victoria.

The ship is not due to arrive until thursday, its a long slow tow. The first boat to tow was the french Fishing vessel, the tugs were due to arrive 9am gmt but Im not sure whether they have picked up the tow as there has been no further updates on that aspect.

It appears that they are dropping food parcels down to the ship as the cooking facilities are not working due to the lack of power. I wonder if they are the dropping BBQ kits. Next thing will be a jamboree on the upper deck. All passengers sitting around the BBQ's singing kumbaya and michael row the boat ashore !!!

Wonder if they will get their fares back? lol

rgds

smiley.pngsmiley.png

Bingo. The real world is alot more exciting than an afternoon at Disney World:)

Due to the logistical nightmare of transferring the passengers ashore to the initially name landing island the company have now decided to tow the ship to the main Seychelles island, Victoria.

The ship is not due to arrive until thursday, its a long slow tow. The first boat to tow was the french Fishing vessel, the tugs were due to arrive 9am gmt but Im not sure whether they have picked up the tow as there has been no further updates on that aspect.

It appears that they are dropping food parcels down to the ship as the cooking facilities are not working due to the lack of power. I wonder if they are the dropping BBQ kits. Next thing will be a jamboree on the upper deck. All passengers sitting around the BBQ's singing kumbaya and michael row the boat ashore !!!

Wonder if they will get their fares back? lol

rgds

smiley.pngsmiley.png

I'm not sure I should be laughing (it's really not funny :() but it was the BBQ kits that got me. ;)

On another thread, the question was about Costa's long-term future. I said "re-branding" would be needed for Costa. Don't think Carnival wants to just drop the name and ships, nor sell it off to a potential or likely competitor.

Carnival officials are playing the Simon & Garfunkel "Sounds of Silence" song in order to lessen the linkage between Costa and the parent company on this latest problem. Remember later 2010 when the stricken, large Carnival ship had to be towed back to San Diego from off of the Mexico Coast?

From the business section of the Miami Herald, in the home base city of Carnival, they have this headline in the last couple of hours: "Costa ship crippled by fire to reach land Thursday" with these highlights: "Passengers were being held in communal rooms rather than cabins and were likely to sleep on outside decks. Tuesday, passengers were given a cold breakfast. Also a concern: the threat of piracy. The region off the coast of Tanzania where the ship was drifting has seen attacks by Somali pirates, though officials said the risk was not high. A Costa executive said a nine-member Italian military team on anti-pirate duty was aboard. The 20-year-old cruise ship left Madagascar Saturday and had been scheduled to arrive Tuesday at the port of Victoria in the Seychelles."

From a business standpoint, the story noted: "The incident was Costa’s second since the year began. On Jan. 13, the Costa Concordia struck a reef and capsized. The shipwreck is believed to have killed 32 people. The incident caused a drop in future cruise bookings and hit cruise prices throughout the industry. But the latest problem had little effect Monday on Carnival’s value; its stock closed at $29.96, down just a penny from the previous close. The fire aboard Costa Allegra follows several other incidents that have put cruise vacations in a harsh light since the Concordia disaster, including norovirus outbreaks on a few ships and the recent robbery of several Carnival guests during a tour in Puerto Vallarta."

This story had a picture of the French fishing vessel, The Talenduic towing Costa Allegra.

Full story at:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/02/28/2665122/costa-ship-to-reach-land-thursday.html

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 67,001 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I'm not sure I should be laughing (it's really not funny :() but it was the BBQ kits that got me. ;)

Gotta love "black humour", sometimes it gets us through the worst experiances.

I was commenting to my DS that surely this will be the financial end to Costa. His reply was "are you crazy, this is the most exciting cruise line to sail on now. Better than all those seniors in the buffet line. This line packs excitement and unpredictability".......

I can't decide whether it would be better to be without power in the topics or northern climes? Hopefully they will make it safe to shore without pirate attacks.

Gotta love "black humour", sometimes it gets us through the worst experiances.

I was commenting to my DS that surely this will be the financial end to Costa. His reply was "are you crazy, this is the most exciting cruise line to sail on now. Better than all those seniors in the buffet line. This line packs excitement and unpredictability".......

I can't decide whether it would be better to be without power in the topics or northern climes? Hopefully they will make it safe to shore without pirate attacks.

Black humour is the only thing that kept us going during the Falklands and the Gulf.......

You cant crack me Im a rubber duck

rgds

Right. And many times they are also called 'hostages' or 'victims' too. :rolleyes:

Archived