Steward Tipping

hawgwildterry

Does the cabin steward keep any personal tips that he/she might receive during the length of the cruise or do all tips go into the tip pot to be split among the others at the end of the cruise? This question relates to over and above tipping from the standard automatic tipping policy.

Yes, if you leave the auto-tip on, anything you give above that in cash may be kept by the individual. However, if you give a cash tip and take off the auto-tip, the cash then has to be contributed to the staff "pool".

On our last cruise, our dinner group gave our waiter an envelope with additional tips from all of us. Princess required that he write all of our room numbers on the envelope. This was probably to confirm that we all made the automatic tips as well.

I don't understand this. Someone said if you remove the auto-tip the employee has to re-pay that money to Princess since it is already figured into their regular pay, but that if you tip in cash - rather than the auto-tip, they have to turn it in and have it divided among everyone. Does that mean that if you give them a $10 tip per day for the group (same as the auto-tip I think-ie steward, waiter, etc.) that they have to turn this back in?

You paid out the exact same amount of cash, but the employee looses a whole bunch of cash? Is this really how it works or an I really confused. :confused:

I don't understand this. Someone said if you remove the auto-tip the employee has to re-pay that money to Princess since it is already figured into their regular pay, but that if you tip in cash - rather than the auto-tip, they have to turn it in and have it divided among everyone. Does that mean that if you give them a $10 tip per day for the group (same as the auto-tip I think-ie steward, waiter, etc.) that they have to turn this back in?

You paid out the exact same amount of cash, but the employee looses a whole bunch of cash? Is this really how it works or an I really confused. :confused:

As I understand the tipping policy. If you give a cash tip it can only be kept, in total, if it is above and beyond the automatic tip amount. The auto tip is pooled and divided among all the help. If you don’t do the auto tip, then the first $10 per day will be deducted from the cash tip. Therefore, if you don’t do the auto tip, but give everyone a cash tip, at the recommended amount of a total of $10 per day, it will be a wash. To give someone extra, you need to keep the auto tip and also give the extra cash to the person you want to reward.

Someone told me recently that the staff gets some kind of extra kudo from Princess if they receive extra tips above the auto-tip. I am not referring to those cards you can fill out, but rather to extra monetary tips.

Is this true? Sounds like a good way to give crew an extra incentive. Seems like the main passenger complaint about the auto-tip is that it removes the incentive and if the stewards/waiters could get something for keeping the passengers so happy that they tipped extra, it might be the best of both worlds.

Archived