Blog for Statendam, 3/2-3/30 Panama Canal Cruise

bcd2010

....for embarking passengers, boarding is currently scheduled to begin at approx. 2 pm.

The Carnival Spirit will be in port also, on the south pier.

Weather: partly cloudy. No rain 'til Saturday (Oosterdam) ! :)

Still in code red (dang!). We we're the 3rd ship achored off Cabo and may have been blocked from the webcam by the 2 Carnival ships. That is one busy port!

Note on our table last night at dinner that tonight would be the Master Chef's Dinner, please be on time (one group of 3 at our table is consistently late, sometimes as much as 25 minutes - arrgh!) - guess the MCD isn't gone entirely as reported on this forum before. Oh, well, we've never seen one so will treat it (and probably enjoy it) at least once.

Thanks to all who are reading my blog and enjoying it. I'll catch up eventually but don't want to (and I know you wouldn't want me to) miss the fun and joy of my cruise!

Just got a note in our stateroom that in-transit guests are being requested to leave the ship tomorrow until 2 pm so they can do a super-sanitization of all staterooms as well as the rest of the ship. We need to put all personal belongings away, can leave things in closets and drawers. Get a $15 OBC to compensate us for the lunch we may have to buy ashore. They will provide a free shuttle to Seaport Village between 9 & 3 for in transit guests, runs every 20 minutes. Sounds like they’re doing this right. We were going to get off the ship anyway for DS’s geocaching and to get some Diet Dr. Pepper for me (I thought they had this onboard!), so we just get a little more than we would have otherwise. And maybe, just maybe, we can spend some of our cruise NOT in code red!

When you get the chance, Diet Dr. Pepper is awaiting you 3 blocks away! Exit terminal and go to Harbor Blvd (the main street in front of the pier) and make a left on the sidewalk.

Go north to the first stoplight which is Ash St. Cross Harbor Blvd going east (you'll get wet if you go west). Cross over Pacific Coast Hwy and then cross the railroad tracks. The next street will be Kettner (which for autos is one way going south). On the NE corner is a Rite Aid store where you will find your favorite refreshment.

David

Turn around day in San Diego Friday - 65 pax doing the return trip.

They had notified us that everyone staying on for the return trip to Ft Lauderdale had to put away all personal belongings and leave the ship because they would be doing the super-sanitizing (although when we got back, the wet towel was still on the floor in our bathroom and the soap dishes & bathroom shelves & pretty much the whole bathroom hadn’t been cleaned, so I don’t know what the super-sanitizing was meant to be – cabin appeared to have been thoroughly cleaned). They had already told us of the free shuttle to Seaport Village (all we had to do was find it – no one seemed to know where it was – that way, no down at that end, no down at the other end, no, wait here and it should park there) and the $15 OBC credit because we would have to eat lunch off the ship.

When we got back to the cabin, there was a bottle of Sparkling Apple Cider, with a letter explaining it was a gift for helping them by vacating the ship – that was cool! Actually, the letter said all continuing pax – probably per cabin – received complimentary bottles of wine but it must show on our file that we don’t drink wine and we so enjoyed this when we got it, that they gave us the cider instead of wine – others probably got wine.

OTOH, our fridge and fan were missing. Upon inquiring, guest relations said we only ordered them for the first leg of our Collector’s Voyage (no, it doesn’t make sense to me either that anyone would do that) and that they don’t have any more left. Now I won’t go into detail but I was insistent – nice, but insistent - and when she said she would talk to the GR manager and call me back with an explanation, I said, No, I didn’t want an explanation, I wanted the fridge and fan delivered to my cabin. It was, within the hour.

When I reserved these items I asked 4 different ways about if they were shown as reserved in the file for the whole cruise: was it for the entire Collector’s Cruise, both legs, 4 weeks and $56 ($2/day for the fridge). Yes, yes, yes and yes. I also confirmed it twice with 2 other people. Oh, well, it got worked out eventually.

Captain Albert is back – love reading his blog. Yesterday we got a plate of chocolates with a note from the captain and hotel manager thanking us for taking a Collector’s Cruise. We also got a letter the 1st day saying we would be invited to a special Indonesian lunch for those on Collector’s Cruises. And, of course, the above mentioned goodies. Hmm… I’m really liking this – I think I want to keep on taking the Collector’s cruises!

Just got home last night and am truly impressed by the amount of detail you have put into your blog. It was great meeting you and appreciated you putting together the two cruise critic get togethers. Hope you get out of code red for this second segment of your Collector's cruise. I plan to write up a review later in the week once I have finished unpacking, washing, etc.:)

I really enjoy your blog but since I am new to "blogging" I am not sure how sucessful this turns out.

I will be taken the same cruise you are currently on, starting this friday March 30.

We just received an e-mail from HAL telling us boarding weilll be delayed because of the need to sanitize the ship.

Questions:

Is there still a code red?

During code red, can you use the pool?

Did you used the internet on a daily basis?

Is internet access restricted to a certain aerea of the ship?

How fast do you think is the access to the internent? Does it take a long time making th connection?

Who times the connection?

Do you get a daily billing of your internet use?

Sorry for all the questions, but it would help me if you could answer them.

I wish you good weather for your final cruising time

Rolfo

? use restric

o this trip – and yes the caches are where to tours go. He “found” 3 virtual caches in Aruba and one in the Panama Canal – pix will be included as I get those blog entries up. He’s brought a couple of trackables with him and will exchange those in San Diego and Fort Lauderdale.

Thanks for following my blog!

Laundry is $20 per 12’x20” bag, or $98 for the 2 week cruise. We bought unlimited, turn around has been 18-24 hours. No problems with damaged or lost items. This is one of the BEST things they’ve come up with!

Our room (039, inside) is fine, plenty roomy for us. We’re not even using all the storage spaces (unlimited laundry package meant we could bring less but there’s all that other “stuff” that has to be out somewhere). Our cabin is next to “white space” on the deck plan – I think it’s storage of items the crew uses for housekeeping – noise late and early. Also, we must be under some part of the Lido that has chairs or something “scrapable”. Earplugs shut it all out.

Note no AC or plumbing problems (once I learned how to flush the toilet J ). No engine problems, vibrations, etc. as has been reported for this and other ships. All in all, it seems good!

Thank you! May I ask a favor? Could you please post the room service menus? I want to include them in my blog but don’t want to type them (I need to spend my typing time on blog updates!). Thank you so much, if you can.

I really enjoy your blog but since I am new to "blogging" I am not sure how sucessful this turns out.

*****I decided to write my blog for 2 reasons: for friends and family who have not cruised and/or are thinking of cruising; and as a souvenir book for my sons and me (only 1 son is cruising with me) - I would not remember 28 days of activities/events/experiences.etc., and thus, it is pretty detailed. To that extent, it has been successful. As a bonus, the blog has had nearly 5000 hits to date, a number that delights and shocks me. It's taken more time than I anticipated but I find I love doing this - I love writing, in fact, I can see taking a cruise solely to write that "great American novel". I participate in all the activities I want to, and blog during the "in between times". I won't finish the blog until about a week after the cruise - and because it's easy to fall behind (probably inevitable) I make notes in a small notebook I carry with me.

I will be taken the same cruise you are currently on, starting this friday March 30.

We just received an e-mail from HAL telling us boarding weilll be delayed because of the need to sanitize the ship.

Questions:

*****No, we found out this morning we are now back to normal.

*****Pool, yes, hot tubs and mineral pool in the spa, no. DS succeeded in convincing them to refund some of the payment we made for the thermal suite given there were no working steam rooms and no water in the mineral pool during code red; we only got use of the heated ceramic loungers.

***** Yes, to upload and download (emails) then I logged out and wrote up email replies to be uploaded next time I was on.

***** It's best in the public areas (4-5 bars) and varies in the cabins. Routers (cone-shaped things hanging from the ceiling) are spaced about 6 or so cabins apart. My cabin was not quite half-way between 2 routers and I still got 3 bars in my cabin, and was still able to access the 'net.

How fast do you think is the access to the internent? Does it take a long time making th connection?

***** It's slow, and I found late at night was a bit better. People equate the timing to dial-up - sounds about right.

*****It's automatic via your account that you set up on the first day (you get extra minutes on the first day so buy it then).

*****No, you pay up front if you buy a package (prices are listed in one of my early blog entries). You see how many minutes you have left at the beginning and end of each session.

*****No problem, that’s what we do here on CC

Rolfo

See replies in red.

Questions:

Rolfo

I am not sure if I am reaching Barbara this way. Let me know if this works.

Thanks

Questions:

Rolfo

I am not sure if I am reaching Barbara this way. Let me know if this works.

Thanks

Yes, it's working. My answers to your questions are posted in comment #42 above.

Archived