1st Time Cruiser – Caribbean Princess Review 2/19-2/26

RioWilson

I have learned so much on the CC site I thought I would try to give back by posting a thread about our recent cruise on the Caribbean Princess. I am going to try to keep it in perspective of the first time cruiser and leave out some the gory details about each port and excursion. A little about us – we are both right at 40 years old. We have been married for 7 years, no kids, live near Madison WI and are fiscally conservative and socially liberal, and found Dave Ramsey (quick shout out) several years ago. The cruise is our out of debt celebration and we have been planning it since April 2011 (for the Dave Ramsey fans - we are now on Baby Step 6). I have spent inordinate amounts of time on CC and elsewhere doing research and planning. We happened to book all of our excursions through Princess. We are pretty conservative and liked having the guarantee if an excursion was late (one of which was!)

Hear goes:

Friday 2/17/12 – Park and Fly in Chicago. We stayed at the Hyatt Rosemount for our flight on Saturday at 7:30 am out of O’Hare. We live near Madison, Wisconsin and you never know about winter weather… Went smoothly – beautiful hotel and well worth the price (parking included).

Saturday 2/18/12 – Travel day to San Juan, PR. Woke up to take the 5 am shuttle to the airport. Were at the gate by 5:50 AM – smooth sailing through O’Hare. Arrived in Charlotte NC via US Airways for flight to SJ. Mechanical problem with original plane and they now downgraded to a smaller plane (from 767 to A321 I think). The smaller plane does not have as many seats, nor does it have a Row G. Anyone who is in Row G is now out of luck. There are several irate passengers who are embarking tonight from SJ and have one member of their party who doesn’t have a seat. Note to self – seat in rows A-F for return flight.

Flight is a little late, but arrive in SJ with no issues. Collect luggage and find Princess staff member and they lead us to a large charter bus which drives us to our hotel. We booked a pre-night at the Sheraton Convention Center and were pleasantly surprised. Got checked in and then took a cab to a restaurant called Waikiki nearby. Had a nice dinner outside. Walked the Condado area for a while and then took a cab back to the hotel for an early evening. Overall it was a very easy travel day, and we were totally relaxed and stress free!

Sunday 2/19/12 – Embarkation Day! Up early because we are excited. We are told that we can place our Princess luggage tags on our luggage and leave it in our room @ the Sheraton and it will magically appear outside our stateroom later than day. I am very skeptical and double check with several staff members – I am assured this is normal. So we hail a cab for OSJ around 9 am and cross our fingers for our luggage (we are pleasantly surprised later when it’s delivered to our stateroom around 4 pm).

We walk around OSJ on Sunday – there is lots of shopping and even a protest about a gas pipeline to watch. We basically people watch and walk around until about 2 pm. At 2 pm excitement overtakes us and we head to the boat via a cab. We arrive at the boat and make through check in and to our stateroom in about 15 minutes. We are pleasantly surprised! Luggage shows up around 4 pm. We head back into dock area and buy some soda and water to bring on board. We had chosen anytime dining and were pleasantly surprised by eating with 2 other couples that night. We never had to wait for dining, but we were also willing to share (which turned out to be one of the best parts of the trip). We took a nap in the early evening so we could stay up for sailaway. We were glad we did!

Monday 2/20 – St. Thomas – We booked the Catamaran Sail and Snorkel through princess. This is run through http://thevicat.com/ We had a GREAT time and really enjoyed this excursion. This was formal night and we ate at Sabatini’s – which we really enjoyed.

Tuesday 2/21 – Tortola – Did the Cane Garden Bay beach day from Princess. Frankly we were pretty disappointed by this one. The beach was VERY crowded. We found out that we had to “rent” the lounge chairs for $5 each when we got there….and they were packed in side by side with maybe 4 inches spacing. The people working here just seemed disinterested. Ordered food at Myett’s Garden Grill (the drop off point) 1 hour before leaving and 45 minutes later our food still wasn’t out. We left hungry. This was a low point on our trip, but future excursions made up for it. This was the only one we wouldn’t do again. Managed to get an anytime dining table for 2 this night. Also caught Miguel Washington’s comedian show – which we enjoyed.

Wednesday 2/22 – Antigua – Spent the morning by the pool on board (we aren’t pool people really, but it was very nice). Did the eco kayak and snorkel tour in the afternoon. This was really a blast and we really enjoyed it! We ordered room service this night and were pleasantly surprised!

Thursday 2/23 – Dominica – Did some shopping in the morning. Lots of pushy people trying to sell tours in this port. This day we had chosen a tubing excursion through Princess. http://www.hibiscusvalley.com/ We really enjoyed this tour – even though the water was low. The guides were GREAT and we had a great time. Due to some road construction and low water, we got back after all aboard, but because it was a Princess tour – they were awaiting our arrival. Saw a voice impersonator that night in Princess Theater – enjoyed it a lot.

Friday 2/24 – Barbados. This was a very commercial port, more of a shipping port than anything else. The ship was docked and we took a bus to the terminal. This day we had arranged for a zip-line excursion, which we enjoyed very much too. A bit crowded, but overall very fun. This night we tried to get into the Crown Grill, but couldn’t get a table. We went to the Café Caribe buffet which was Asian night. Then watched a show in the Princess Theater – a piano/comedian. Good times.

Saturday 2/25 – Day @ Sea. This was our only sea day, and not being ones to lounge around the pool, one sea day was enough. The pool areas were very crowded and we were glad to have our balcony. We had a wonderful dinner in the MDR with 2 other couples, one from Tulsa OK, and the other from Toronto, Canada. We really enjoyed both the food and conversation.

Sunday 2/26 – Disembarkation. The ship was late getting into port. We were supposed to be in around 6 am and I think we tied up right around 7:45 am. We had arranged for a rain forest tour through Princess, which they adjusted the times due to the delay. Disembarkation was smooth and we put our luggage in a large truck prior to the tour. The rain forest tour was OK, but we mostly did it to kill time since our flight wasn’t until 5:30 PM. Got to the airport around 2 and had some overpriced airport food. All our flights were on time, but we didn’t make it back to Chicago until 11:30 PM. Then had to find the car and drive north into Wisconsin. Got home around 3:45 AM realizing we had been up for 24 hours – would not have done that again as the drive home was brutal despite being fine weather.

Things I learned, or just random thoughts in general:

• The best advice I read before leaving – “Bring half the clothes you think you’ll need and bring twice the money” – that advice was dead on. We packed almost perfectly for this trip. One more day and I would have needed to do laundry.

• Despite being told that it was relatively quiet, I was surprised at how much the ship moves. Toward the end it was moving enough that people were walking down hallways like drunks, and the curtains were swaying. Not a big deal, but just surprising for a first timer. Others told me it’s not rough until the glasses slide off the table at dinner.

• I never used my jacket – I was always warm.

• We had a strange phenomenon in our room if we left the sliding balcony door open, it was as though the hallway had a huge negative pressure and the air was sucked through the cabin door vents making an annoying whistling sound. Could have used a small fan in the room just to keep the air moving.

• Coffee – we brew our own coffee (~$9/lb) every morning and consider ourselves to be picky. I didn’t find the ship’s coffee objectionable and we had it every morning with Breakfast. We did treat ourselves twice to a Latte at the IC which was nice…

• We started this cruise evaluating whether or not a balcony was worth it for us. It definitely was. I would cruise half as much if I had to, just to get a balcony. We enjoy our quiet time though, so this is likely specific to us.

• Cruise Length – We thought 7 days was perfect for us. At the end of the 7 days, we were almost ready to go home. We had explored most areas of the ship. Ports were starting to blur together.

• Excursions – We enjoyed staying active – and the excursions were good for that. We liked the variety and the convenience of booking through Princess. I know we could probably book cheaper on our own, or just take taxis to random places, but it’s not as much our style. We had ample time either before or after to explore the ports.

• Jewelry – It’s amazing how many jewelry stores are in the Caribbean ports – not our style – but crazy how much jewelry is being sold.

• Food – I think the food was above average in the MDR. We consider ourselves foodies and I would rate it a solid 7 or 8 out of 10 on most nights. The buffet was pretty average, but not bad. Sabatini’s was really good.

• Staff – The staff overall was extremely friendly. We were impressed overall.

• The ship itself – we found it to be in good condition. Some have asked about overall condition as it ages – we didn’t find anything too objectionable. The stateroom bathroom was starting to show a little age, but nothing egregious.

• Seasickness – Right after Embarkation I got a little dizzy. I put on some sea bands and it went away. I was surprised later on in the trip how much the boat moved when we had “moderate” seas. People were having some difficulty walking in a straight line, towels were swaying in the bathroom, pools were sloshing over…etc. I didn’t have any troubles until I got *off* the ship and it took me two days to feel normal again.

• Small bills – we took lots of $1, $5, and $10 bills – came in handy when negotiating for things.

That’s all I can think of for now – any questions, just ask!

-Mike W.

I enjoyed your review.. I cruised on the CB last year and really enjoyed the ship. I think your idea of small bills is spot on. I had not realized how important that was until my most recent cruise. Glad you enjoyed your first cruise.. Are you hooked??

I enjoyed your review.. I cruised on the CB last year and really enjoyed the ship. I think your idea of small bills is spot on. I had not realized how important that was until my most recent cruise. Glad you enjoyed your first cruise.. Are you hooked??

If money wasn't an issue - we'd be hooked. But after cruise price, air fare, pre-night, excursions, booze, etc. - it all adds up fast and is not for the faint of heart! I am thinking we'll cruise again though...

If money wasn't an issue - we'd be hooked. But after cruise price, air fare, pre-night, excursions, booze, etc. - it all adds up fast and is not for the faint of heart! I am thinking we'll cruise again though...

Great review!! We will be on her for the third time this fall and we are looking forward to it! One note as some posters will tell you in a snarky tone it is a ship not a boat. The boats are hanging on the side in case you have to abandon ship. :D<-----not a snarky smile.

Great review!! We will be on her for the third time this fall and we are looking forward to it! One note as some posters will tell you in a snarky tone it is a ship not a boat. The boats are hanging on the side in case you have to abandon ship. :D<-----not a snarky smile.

Yup, I know better too. Speaking of boats...I did forget to mention that at one of the first ports they deployed all the life boats on the non-pier side and ran crew drills. That was fun to watch. Lots of boats doing circles in the harbor...

Thanks for the great review. It is refeshing to see so many positive comments from a first-time cruiser. There are so many veterans and uber-veterans here that sometimes the forest gets lost for the trees. You've provided a great prospective.

Don't give up on longer itineraries. Just depends where you go. I don't want this to get off topic for all the heat I will take for saying this, but for all its popularity, the Caribbean isn't necessarily the best itinerary upon which to evaluate cruising. Let's face it. The ports are almost always the singularly ugliest part of the beautiful islands, and they tend to be overrun with shopping streets filled with, as you point out, jewelry and more jewelry. And excursions to places like Cane Garden Bay can't help but disappoint when the picture-perfect beach that you see in the postcard is overlaid by 500 people fresh off a cruise ship. Charter a bareboat and sail to Cane Garden Bay on a non-cruise ship day and see the difference. You will wonder why you ever considered taking an excursion there in the first place. What I am saying is that the Caribbean doesn't really get to show itself off when you are island hopping on a huge ship, with several other huge ships invading the ports on the same day. The sheer magnitude of the crowds instantly destroys the iconic serentiy that one seeks on a tropical island. It just can't be helped. Rest assured. Other itineraries will not seem as repetitive or counterintuitive.

Thanks again!

great review and welcome to the love of cruising!

My suggestion as you continue to cruise would be to keep an open mind when it comes to what type of cabin yu want/need as we've found it can vary depending on the itinerary, the ship and length of the cruise, who was sailing (us as a couple, a family or with extended family/friends), and on the budget for the trip.

Enjoy.

Mike - thank you so much for the review. My husband and I leave on the same ship and itinerary on the 3/18 sailing. We too, are from Wisconsin (Madison, actually), so it's nice to hear from someone in our neck of the woods!

Glad to hear CP is in good condition! We are so excited!

Thanks for the great review. It is refeshing to see so many positive comments from a first-time cruiser. There are so many veterans and uber-veterans here that sometimes the forest gets lost for the trees. You've provided a great prospective.

Don't give up on longer itineraries. Just depends where you go. I don't want this to get off topic for all the heat I will take for saying this, but for all its popularity, the Caribbean isn't necessarily the best itinerary upon which to evaluate cruising. Let's face it. The ports are almost always the singularly ugliest part of the beautiful islands, and they tend to be overrun with shopping streets filled with, as you point out, jewelry and more jewelry. And excursions to places like Cane Garden Bay can't help but disappoint when the picture-perfect beach that you see in the postcard is overlaid by 500 people fresh off a cruise ship. Charter a bareboat and sail to Cane Garden Bay on a non-cruise ship day and see the difference. You will wonder why you ever considered taking an excursion there in the first place. What I am saying is that the Caribbean doesn't really get to show itself off when you are island hopping on a huge ship, with several other huge ships invading the ports on the same day. The sheer magnitude of the crowds instantly destroys the iconic serentiy that one seeks on a tropical island. It just can't be helped. Rest assured. Other itineraries will not seem as repetitive or counterintuitive.

Thanks again!

You make some good points - thanks for the reply.

Rio--I lot of people have not caught up to the fact that, on Caribbean cruises, it's just one island. Each night they move the ship about 30 degrees around the island and make you believe it's a different island. If you observe carefully after dark you may see the local merchants frantically moving their T shirts and jewelry to the next site.

I didn’t have any troubles until I got *off* the ship and it took me two days to feel normal again.

I know exactly how you feel.....our first cruise was Eastern Caribbean and it was rockin and rollin.....took me 2 weeks to get my land legs back.....2nd cruise was Western Caribbean, which was smoother and only took me a couple days to feel normal again.....

Thanks for all the info! It is nice to finally read a review of the Caribbean Princess! We're going in April and are starting to get excited!

Did you do the Princess Transfer? I am just curious because you mentioned the bus to the Sheraton and also the luggage being taken to the ship. How much did this cost?

Mike - thank you so much for the review. My husband and I leave on the same ship and itinerary on the 3/18 sailing. We too, are from Wisconsin (Madison, actually), so it's nice to hear from someone in our neck of the woods!

Glad to hear CP is in good condition! We are so excited!

Mike, thanks for your review. I'm glad to hear that there are some different entertainers than back in 2010, when I saw the same comedian from the prior year on a different ship. On which deck was your stateroom?

Congrats on your debt free celebration cruise! I'm a Dave Ramsey's fan and have only read one of his books, but as a result I'm carrying about 1k on a card and zero on 2 cars and a house.

If you like cruising you find ways to shave off some dough. While DW and I prefer balconies, sometimes the deals on an inside are borderline ridiculous, and given that it allows the occasional "bonus cruise" we don't mind them at all. We were in one 11 days over Christmas and it was less $$$ than any 7 day cruise we've taken.

Oh, and thanks for the great review.

Thanks for all the info! It is nice to finally read a review of the Caribbean Princess! We're going in April and are starting to get excited!

Did you do the Princess Transfer? I am just curious because you mentioned the bus to the Sheraton and also the luggage being taken to the ship. How much did this cost?

Yes, we did - I am sorry I don't remember the cost - it was arranged by our TA and I don' know if I ever asked for a breakdown....

Mike, thanks for your review. I'm glad to hear that there are some different entertainers than back in 2010, when I saw the same comedian from the prior year on a different ship. On which deck was your stateroom?

We were on Deck 12 (Aloha)

How did you like the Sheraton? We are staying there in April.

Hi - And just to be clear, we were at the Sheraton Convention Center...not Sheraton OSJ. We thought the hotel was great - it has sort of a modern feel to it when you walk in, reminded me of some of the newer hotels in Chicago. The rooms were very nice, and we had no complaints whatsoever. The only thing to note is that it is sort of out there all by itself and you'd need to take a taxi to do sightseeing. We took one to the Condado area for dinner, and then one to OSJ the next day for sightseeing. It was $12 for each ride.

Hi - And just to be clear, we were at the Sheraton Convention Center...not Sheraton OSJ. We thought the hotel was great - it has sort of a modern feel to it when you walk in, reminded me of some of the newer hotels in Chicago. The rooms were very nice, and we had no complaints whatsoever. The only thing to note is that it is sort of out there all by itself and you'd need to take a taxi to do sightseeing. We took one to the Condado area for dinner, and then one to OSJ the next day for sightseeing. It was $12 for each ride.

Yep! That's the one where we are booked. It definitely seemed to be kind of on it's own. Though it was the closest hotel to the pier I believe. It's good to hear you enjoyed your stay. Thanks for your review!

Archived