Riviera's godmother

Kkamlani

Isn't everyone just like me:

I first check who the godmother is and, assuming she passes muster both politically and professionally, then and only then do I even begin to consider such minor elements like the ports, the cost, the food, the service, and the length of the cruise.

I just sent an email to my TA, requesting a list of the names of the godmothers of every ship of the cruise lines I sail. I want to make sure I am in sync with the godmother before I book.

I love the absurdity of this entire thread. Given that it was started by the President of the line, maybe he should focus on issues that are more important to his passengers. I do not believe he has posted before now.

isn't everyone just like me:

I first check who the godmother is and, assuming she passes muster both politically and professionally, then and only then do i even begin to consider such minor elements like the ports, the cost, the food, the service, and the length of the cruise.

lol!

I've been on more than 30 cruises on seven cruise lines...

I can't remember the name of a single "Godmother" on any of them...

OTOH, I do remember Michel Roux, Jacques Pepin, Jacques Van Staden...

So, maybe honoring a chef is a GOOD idea...

Of course, those guys actually designed the meals and menus on the ship...This "Godmother" is purely ceremonial, right? They're not letting her mess with Jacques Pepin's menus as part of the deal, right?

Of course none of the speculation, or even the decision of who the godmother will be matters, it is mearly a nautical tradition. I would add, a pretty harmless one. What I don't seem to understand is why those who claim not to care at all are so noisy about it, the things I don't care about, I don't bother to comment on.

Of course none of the speculation, or even the decision of who the godmother will be matters, it is mearly a nautical tradition. I would add, a pretty harmless one. What I don't seem to understand is why those who claim not to care at all are so noisy about it, the things I don't care about, I don't bother to comment on.

That particular type of Godmother must still carry some weight....

Tickets for the new Queen Elizabeth's maiden voyage to the Mediterranean - costing between £1,489 and £15,799 - sold out in under 30 minutes in 2010.

Aren't you one Smartini:D

SMARTINI

Courtesy of (and invented by) Hondorner

In a well iced shaker, combine:

4 Parts VODKA

1 Part Blueberry Liqueur

1 Part VitaminWater XXX Zero, with Acai, Blueberry and Pomegranate

Simple Syrup to taste

-Garnish with 3 Blueberries on a skewer-

blueberryMartini.jpgAbsolutely GUARANTEED to improve the performance of your Trivia Team by 75%...

especially if you buy them for the judges :p

6a00d8341c630a53ef0147e3d5958b970b-320wiWe raise our Smartinis to Ms. Cora!

SMARTINI

Courtesy of (and invented by) Hondorner

In a well iced shaker, combine:

4 Parts VODKA

1 Part Blueberry Liqueur

1 Part VitaminWater XXX Zero, with Acai, Blueberry and Pomegranate

Simple Syrup to taste

-Garnish with 3 Blueberries on a skewer

Thanks for the recipe, Jim, Stan and Don. Tried it last evening, and we are smarter already!:D Tarmo & Kay

JimandStan,

Six smartinis means eighteen blueberries as garnish. At least you're getting your nutrition!

That is EXACTLY what I thought, Wripro, but one of those Blueberries must have been "off" because I felt wretched the next morning...

I'm also going to have to call the city about the sidewalks around here......they seem to have gotten terribly uneven. I actually fell twice! :cool:

I'm fascinated by your remark, not because I'm challenging it in any way, but because I really don't understand how the naming of the godmother impacts marketing.

Over the holidays, we sailed Marina totally unaware of Mary Hart's role as godmother. I'll admit that when I saw her picture in the foyer, I thought "What an odd choice." But I'm an Oceania cruiser who tunes out the godmother decision entirely. I wanted a convenient holiday cruise. Marina offered precisely what I wanted. My husband and I probably devoted three seconds to making our decision.

Next week, my husband and I will likely be booking a cruise on Riviera summer 2014. With the possible exception of Paula Deen or Rachel Ray, there's not a single female chef that might have an impact on my decision. Frankly, even one of those two chefs alone wouldn't matter to me. However, Deen or Ray coupled with the lack of problem solving on the holiday cruise would suggest that Oceania is re-branding itself in a way that doesn't sit well with me.

I'd love for you -- or anyone who cares to chime in -- to explain the role of the godmother in marketing.

I've been in an RV park with no WiFi for the past several days, so I'm just catching up with the thread.

What made Mary Hart a brilliant marketing choice was the fact tht she talked about it on national TV many times, on the popular (so I'm told) show "Entertainment Tonight", thus exposing the Oceania brand to untold numbrers of viewers who may have never heard of it otherwise.

What makes Cat Cora a great choice from a marketing point of view is that she is (or recently was) an Editorial Chef for Bon Appetite magazine, a Conde Naste publication, widely read and respected, and the sponsor of the culinary centers on Marina and Riviera. I'm certain that her involvement will get wide-spread publicity among the "foodies" to whom Oceania is catering, again publicizing the cruise line, this time to the more narrow audience that is the direct taret of Oceania marketing.

Whether or not this sort of publicity is everlasting is a moot point, as the goal is accomplished at the time of Riviera's introduction, and will no doubt cause many to head for Google or their travel agent to learn more about Oceania.

This sort of marketing is not really directed to existing passengers, many of whom have already fallen under the cruise line's spell.

Archived