NCL or Disney Fantasy

TerB

We are trying to decide between the NCL Epic and the Disney Fantasy. We are looking at the Haven Family Villa or the Disney Concierge level on the Fantasy. We have 2 children ages 11 and 7. We like the pools on the NCL Epic better than the Fantasy, but it seems as though the Fantasy is more family orientated. We will be using the kids clubs as well. What would you choose? Is there anyone who has cruised both NCL and DCL with kids and what is your opinion?

I personally prefer NCL. I did not find Disney's kids club to be that wonderful, and the rotational dining was wearing on my family; we much prefer the options of the buffet and various restaurants on NCL.

I've looked at the pricing for Disney Fantasy and just started laughing and closed the pricing window. I'd much prefer the Haven to Disney! Disney is great (and I have the pictures to prove we love it), but it's not how I prefer to cruise. :)

Good luck with whichever you choose! :)

There is absolutely no comparable opportunity to a Disney Cruise if kids are involved. They will remember it forever! We had 11 of us on our last Disney Cruise (from 6 months to 80 years) and everyone loved it. They are certainly a little more costly ...but if you can afford it there is no second choice.

We are trying to decide between the NCL Epic and the Disney Fantasy. We are looking at the Haven Family Villa or the Disney Concierge level on the Fantasy. We have 2 children ages 11 and 7. We like the pools on the NCL Epic better than the Fantasy, but it seems as though the Fantasy is more family orientated. We will be using the kids clubs as well. What would you choose? Is there anyone who has cruised both NCL and DCL with kids and what is your opinion?

Just off the NCL Epic and we loved it. Our kids are now 17 and 14. We also sailed Disney Wonder and the Magic (we were on the Magic when our kids were your kids ages). IMHO....with the kids at the ages yours are, I would pick the Disney Fantasy.

The Disney experience is so worth the cost at that age. Seeing the Disney magic through their eyes is priceless. If it was my choice, I would do Disney now and save the Epic for when they are older. The shows on the Disney ships would be more geared toward their age groups, where I think the Epic appeals to a little older crowd (except for the Nickleodean which we really didn't pay any attention to on the Epic since my kids are older). That said, if your kids are more into Nickleodean than Disney then the Epic might be the ship for you :D. You know your kids best.

Have fun no matter which you choose.

What is the price difference, and what amenities come with the cabin on DCL? We've done both, and I didn't think that Disney was worth that much of a price difference. What we really love about NCL is the freestyle dining. I hated rushing back to the ship and having everyone rush to dinner. On NCL, for example, we got back to the ship around 2, starving, ordered room service, and had a late dinner. And I'm not a buffet fan.

BTW, my oldest was 11 on our DCL, and she and her 9 year old brother loathed the kids club. They just signed themselves out.

As the other poster mentioned, based on the ages of the kids, I'd probably do DCL now and NCL later. The pools on the Dream tended to be quite crowded (i.e. under-sized) and DCL is trying to improve the situation on the Fantasy. Plus DCL has Castaway Cay (CC). CC also has the Pelican Plunge area which is great for kids those ages. The downside is the fixed dining.

Haven't been on the Epic but the Haven and all that comes with it looks great. I don't think you can lose with either choice.

I personally prefer NCL. I did not find Disney's kids club to be that wonderful, and the rotational dining was wearing on my family; we much prefer the options of the buffet and various restaurants on NCL.

I've looked at the pricing for Disney Fantasy and just started laughing and closed the pricing window. I'd much prefer the Haven to Disney! Disney is great (and I have the pictures to prove we love it), but it's not how I prefer to cruise. :)

Good luck with whichever you choose! :)

I just did what you did! I can't believe the price difference!

OP, if your budget allows for it. Go for it!

Heck...now I get why the Disney Fantasy is in town.

http://themeparks.about.com/b/2012/03/01/disney-fantasy-cruise-ship-christening-new-york.htm

would be important to know the price difference between the Fantasy and Epic.

I have sailed both Cruise lines multiple times.

Disney: Plusses include larger cabins (but usually higher price), excellent service which Disney does so well, classic ships, unique shows really really well done, caters to families, theming and best private island for families. Minuses include price, tons of kids, pool decks VERY crowded and with no freestyle your dining options are fixed not flexible. also adult evening entertainment is blah. not he most relaxing cruise because there is so much to do with the kids. What Disney does well- theming,service,catering to families- it does so well that it's the best at those areas.

NCL: freestyle lets your cruise be more relaxed, less rigid and you can tailor the cruise to how YOU want it, a huge plus. better itineraries. epic is huge with so many more on board options for entertainment, dining, more pools and slides, more activities. NCL prices usually lower. the suite life on NCL blows Disneys suites away, and is well worth he price. nobody takes care of suite guests better than NCL.

BTW my kids liked NCLs kids crew better than DCL which surprised me.

I love all things Disney. but it's not the only good choice for cruising.

For me price is a factor. I won't pay double for Disney even tho can afford to.

hope this helps, they are both great choices,

Forgot to add you can't get a two bedroom suite with DCL and we really love the 2 bedrooms. also the courtyard.

Just priced a sailing for next March. NCL EPic two bedroom courtyard same price roughly as one bedroom Fantasy suite which is a smaller suite

Forgot to add you can't get a two bedroom suite with DCL and we really love the 2 bedrooms. also the courtyard.

Just priced a sailing for next March. NCL EPic two bedroom courtyard same price roughly as one bedroom Fantasy suite which is a smaller suite

Totally agree that NCL is a less expensive experience, and a very nice experience too. You could take the kids on the Epic, save a few bucks and have a wonderful time. And, as you point out, enjoy some very nice accomodations, and pampering in the Haven. I would still favor Disney for an overall better family experience.

Totally agree that NCL is a less expensive experience, and a very nice experience too. You could take the kids on the Epic, save a few bucks and have a wonderful time. And, as you point out, enjoy some very nice accomodations, and pampering in the Haven. I would still favor Disney for an overall better family experience.

I would agree. I am so glad we gave our kids the "Disney" experience when they were at an age to enjoy it. Don't get me wrong...we loved our Epic cruise, it is my favorite cruise to date, but Disney is right behind them in our favorite cruises list and part of the reason why is that my kids were at the age to maximize the "Disney" experience.

I have sailed both Disney and NCL. When we went on Disney my boys were 7 and 12. I could not get them to go to the kids' clubs. They age ranges in the clubs at that time were so far apart that they felt as though they were hanging out with "the babies". My husband and I did go into the clubs and check them out with our kids and I tend to agree - everything was geared toward the 5 and under set. This was on the Dream, just last year. They did enjoy the pools and slides, and the AquaDuck was a hit, but I don't think the high cost was worth it in the end. We will all be selling NCL again as a family in December (just went in February). Don't get me wrong - the ships do not compare and the Disney service cannot be beat - but if money is an issue, I would go with NCL.

We sailed Disney Dream last year and will be sailing Epic this Saturday. For the ages of your children...Disney Fantasy!!!

My son was 11 when we traveled on the Dream and he loved it. The EDGE was the place for him and I was able to give him one of the room phones (they work like 2-way radios) and basically let him have free rain of the ship. We always had 1 rule, he always had to let me know where he was had. He did a great job and was very happy to get some freedom. The kids club had a lot of events including dodgeball, basket ball, games, scavenger hunts, movie nights, pajama parties.

For your 7 year old, they will be in the oceaneer club/lab. You 11 year old will be allowed down there, but my son only went in there once. Can't real give you a big review about this area, but it was huge.

As far as the family, there will be 3 shows (all were awesome), there is a new muppets show, the d-lounge and while it is a restaurant, we had a blast in Animators Plate. It was like dinner and comedy all in one. It was cool having Crush (from Nemo) talking directly to you.

Our favorite thing as a family was the Pirates in the Caribbean deck party. They covered the pools and had a huge dancing and singing party on deck. Pirate Mickey and Minnie made an appearance and so did Jack Sparrow.

For the age of your children, Fantasy. Just so you know, in 2 years I will have been on 5 cruises covering all the large ships (Dream 3/11, Epic 3/12, Allure of the Sea 11/12, Equinox Summer 13, and Fantasy 11/13). You will love the ship.

Archived