Whale watching in Juneau

wailea4me

There is SO much information about these companies here on the forum that you should do a search. Read about the various boat sizes, captains, etc. then make a decision. Some swear by Orca, some swear by Harv & Marv, even with captains who are not the founding owners, some book using Toursaver and base solely on price.

I bet you could find 3-4 whale watch threads on the first 2-3 pages of the forum!

I have no experience with Harv and Marv, but Ican tell you that we used Orca enterprises and it was incredible.. I cannot imagine anything better... small boat.. small number of people especially when compared to some we saw out there.. Captain Larry is very knowledgeable...

orca was the 1st, capt larry has a long history with the humpbacks. harv and marv were know for the small personal business, but they are expanding...review are still good.

orca has several boats, we did the one that holds (about) 35 ppl, but had less then 15. orca's boats are good for wheelchairs or ppl who have problems getting around. they do take younger kids/families.

Humpbacks are seen on 100% of the Juneau whale watch tours. I am picky about a marine friendly boat, and desire a naturalist who is long established, along with a seasoned whale watch cpt.

If you read the multiple reviews, some of the negatives are related to unrealistic expectations, so that is important to be aware of as well.

We saw a ship-sponsored exursion while we were out with Orca (not only with Capt. Larry, but also by a naturalist who was in port from a Celebrity cruise). I felt sooo sorry for those people who looked like they were packed on there like sardines, while we had plenty of room to move around.

I am picky about a marine friendly boat, and desire a naturalist who is long established, along with a seasoned whale watch cpt.

Do any of the independent vendors in Icy Strait Point fulfill these requirements? Which one would you recommend there?

Do any of the independent vendors in Icy Strait Point fulfill these requirements? Which one would you recommend there?

FISHES, Misty Bay Lodge and Glacier Wind get consistently great reviews. Teckk gets very mixed reviews, some very recent were quite negative.

I was debating between Allen Marine (through HAL) and Harv & Marv on our own, and then I read about Orca Enterprises. Any recommendations or thoughts on these companies and/or boats?

Check out Weather Permitting Alaska. I searched the the eternet, tripadvisor,cc,after much consideration I chose this company for the captain's experience, the boat itself,& with limited passenger capacity for a more intimate experience!

Archived