Door signs - Tacky?

[quote name='hannahsmomtoo']We embark on my birthday.. and my 13 year old daughter wants to make a door sign that says "It's my birthday" or something similar..
I have heard of people doing this...
Read mised reviews about whether or not the doors ( Splendor ) are metal..

What is your opinion on door signs? ok? tacky?

Thanks !!![/QUOTE]
I've seen door signs on just about every cruise I've been on, and see nothing wrong with them. Let your daughter make her special sign. Hope you all enjoy your cruise.

[quote name='tef43']Definitely tacky.

And a prime vandalism target for unruly children and drunks wandering the halls.[/QUOTE]

Oh please, it's the old blame it on the kids again! Or are you just kidding!:D

We always decorate our door and we are supposedly grown ups. If cruising with family we buy the door decorator party sheets (they cover a whole door) from the dollar store, and jazz them up, so we can sneak and stick them to their doors with tape and only take 5 seconds to decorate. For our door we bring bright fun wall decorations also from the dollar store, they peel off easily and they give us and the people around us a land mark. Plus they make me smile, and I love to smile.

Do it!!!..........

It's a birthday...Have a wonderful time on your cruise!!!

I have seen tackier things in this world...

And do not limit it to just a birthday...

Hang one for an anniversary, engagement, graduation, or a just on vacation on a cruise ship finally too!!

Bon Voyage!!!

I think it WILL help to make sure my daughter finds the right cabin also ! :D
I recall one cruise where someone about 10-15 doors down from our cabin

had their door dressed up and after 2 days or so,

I started to realize how much of a neighbourhood landmark this door had become!

Any time I passed it on my right, I knew I was heading OK and near home too! ;)

Do the door. So few people do.

I love the Beware of the Dog sign gag!

Tacky???? NO WAY!!! We decorate everytime we cruise! I use tropical items on our door and fish clings in our cabin window...Although, the last few times, I had a few pple steal some decorations off our door and use it on their door or maybe just stuck it to someone elses...but its all good as long as someone is having fun with it!

**Plus it's a bonus for those who had one to many...easy to find the right room!**

The Dream has a door decorating contest that we actually won on our last cruise. :D It is on the first sea day and you have to tell the pursers desk you want to be entered in the contest, so they will go by and judge the door.

My 5 year old was very proud of our ship on a stick.:cool:

Tacky? Absolutely! Fun to embarass family you are going with? Priceless! Here is my wife's Grandparent's door from Legend in 2009.

legenddoor.jpg

The bottom reads "If the ship is a rocking - don't come a knocking!":eek:

I think we were on this cruise! Or at least that poster looks familiar.

I feel much the same about door signs as I about tattoos ( well a bit different ) but I feel the same because, they are both something that is not for me! I will never get a tattoo, nor put up a door sign, but that is just me. Dont like bringing attention to myself. All that said; I have no problem with people who like to tattoo, dress strange, or peirce parts of their body, that I would never!

Door sign, no problem, just because I wouldnt, doesnt mean others should not. It hurts no one, and since a young person is involved, then I say go for it! And dont worry what others think.:)

Funny, just notices the "tattoos on lido" thread, right up there again on the board, two different things, but about as many different opinions on them.

40thBday%20038.jpg

Here is the one that I made for my 40th birthday cruise. Our door was NOT metal so I brought along poster tack. Easily removable with out damage to door.

Sure made it easy to find my cabin after a few too many celebratory drinks!

GO FOR IT! Who cares what other people think!! This is YOUR cruise!

Happy Sailing!

You know I just may use the "beware of dog" I love that! But back to the original question, yes it is considered tacky by many but hello have you seen how these cruise ships are decorated???? SO TACKY , but I love it!!Your on vacation, I'll be making my tacky sign as well!

You asked so I will give you my opinion - tacky, stupid, dumb, useless, embarrassing, unnecessary. etc.

Do you get the idea that I would not do it but each to his / her own.

DON

Well at least you are opoen minded about other people doing it

You know I just may use the "beware of dog" I love that! But back to the original question, yes it is considered tacky by many but hello have you seen how these cruise ships are decorated???? SO TACKY , but I love it!!Your on vacation, I'll be making my tacky sign as well!

I was thinking about the same thing...it's a cruise ship and not the Waldorf Astoria...geez

I am a hater of all things tacky...and before our first cruise, the idea of door decorations seemed tacky....but now I think it's great! I hope I don't have any crotchety old neighbors that are against that sort of fun. I guess the same argument I read here all the time applies (even though I don't agree with it) If you don't like it, don't look! LOL! Our family had fun with ours :) We changed the little speech bubble each day :)

aaaP5040098.jpg[/img]

We always decorate our cabin door. We think it's fun and a great way to ID our cabin. We've never had anything taken.

Our Roll Call had a door decorating contest once. We also do a Cabin Crawl with our RC and most times the doors and cabins are decorated. :)

I wish I had decorated our door last week on the Fantasy. Some guy knocked on it after midnight. He had the wrong room. Maybe a door decoration would have clued him in.

We did have our door decorated and someone tried using their key card in it one day! I haven't figured that one out yet.

We embark on my birthday.. and my 13 year old daughter wants to make a door sign that says "It's my birthday" or something similar..

I have heard of people doing this...

Read mised reviews about whether or not the doors ( Splendor ) are metal..

What is your opinion on door signs? ok? tacky?

Thanks !!!

There is 8 in our group.... 4 adults and 4 kids and we will proudly hang signs on our doors...!!! First cruise I went on years ago I saw it and loved it and have done it ever since. I get more compliments on it and have never had any complaints. I take the green tacky putty like stuff and it sticks well and comes right off and never have a problem with it...!!! Enjoy your trip

Archived