Planning

lawyerrose

I could probably ask this on the Ask a Cruise Question board, but I'm more interested in the HAL crowd.

I LOVE the planning of a vacation, whether it's a cruise or land. I love making lists, and researching the area I'm going to, and figuring out what we want to do, etc. If it's a cruise, I'm on here looking into every single detail (probably obsessively) but for me, it's part of the excitement, part of the anticipation that I ALMOST enjoy as much as the actual vacation.

It's come to my attention (belatedly) that many people DON'T like this part. I've heard from a couple of people that they just want to "pack and go". I can't even imagine this - half the fun would be taken out for me. I'd love to get more of an understanding of those who don't feel like I do about getting ready for a vacation. And from those who "get it" and love to prepare.

I guess I just assumed everybody loved this part, and was kinda surprised to find out some people simply HATED it! Inconceivable!! :eek:

So, do plan with joy or are you one of the ones who wants to pack and go and not have all the aggravation of planning the details??

Rose

I'm with you, Lawyerrose (maybe it's because I'm a paralegal!). I couldn't possibly imagine someone taking away all the planning from me! That would be no fun whatsoever. However, I will say my husband does NOT like the planning (and he's another lawyer!), so it works out well that I love to obsessively plan and ponder every little detail. If it were up to him, we would "pack and go."

I'm a joyful (OK obsessive) planner! For me it makes the vacation experience last that much longer.

We don't cruise often but they do present a unique challenge. The next cruise we have coming up is 20 days with 15 different ports. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by all of the information I need to gather but with all of the great information available here it makes planning much easier!

I even made a folder with each port of call, together with a map of the island and information on whatever tour I was going on or, if going solo, then information about where I was going, the taxi fares, etc. Whatever info I'd dug up about each island. Then I put tabs for each island so I can quickly go to that section. *Giggle* I just LOVE this stuff!!:p

I like to research before we go, and to have ideas about what is the best place to do some activities. Or what is a "not miss" in a port. DH hates to plan, likes to just pack and go. So I do the research, find things that would be of interest to both of us, and insist that he have input into the final choices. Then I book shorex for some of the places, and leave others as "we can pick from these "do-it-ourself" options depending on what we feel like doing on that particular day. It works for us.

My cruisin' buddy wants all the variables removed from her trips -- she wants to know every minute detail of every port, and every activity. She is a major procrastinator, though, so we often butt heads. I don't need ALL the details, just a plan. She wants ALL the details, but will not actually do anything to get them :) Not about costs and such, but "what time does the bus stop?" and "how long will we be on the bus?" and "what kind of food can we buy there?" and "where's the best shop to buy xxxx?" and "how close is that to the dock?"

So she is learning to live with a little less detail when she leaves the research up to me ;) It sort-of works for us.

How about planning for 420 days? That's how long it will be between booking and actually boarding ms Volendam on April 10 in Sydney. I'm also the planner half of our duo, the obsessive list-maker and worrier, while DH drifts along with his handsome head in the clouds.

Most of the time I love the anticipation -- even the ironing and packing -- but this time we're also in the middle of buying our retirement home in another state. Yes, I'm the one dealing with the lender's requests for documents and arranging for insurance; the whole enchilada. I feel a bit like Sybil Fawlty these days....

Mrs M (or F)

I like to research before we go, and to have ideas about what is the best place to do some activities. Or what is a "not miss" in a port. DH hates to plan, likes to just pack and go. So I do the research, find things that would be of interest to both of us, and insist that he have input into the final choices. Then I book shorex for some of the places, and leave others as "we can pick from these "do-it-ourself" options depending on what we feel like doing on that particular day. It works for us.

My cruisin' buddy wants all the variables removed from her trips -- she wants to know every minute detail of every port, and every activity. She is a major procrastinator, though, so we often butt heads. I don't need ALL the details, just a plan. She wants ALL the details, but will not actually do anything to get them :) Not about costs and such, but "what time does the bus stop?" and "how long will we be on the bus?" and "what kind of food can we buy there?" and "where's the best shop to buy xxxx?" and "how close is that to the dock?"

So she is learning to live with a little less detail when she leaves the research up to me ;) It sort-of works for us.

Wow, I don't think I could satisfy your cruisin' buddy, as those kind of details I don't really care about and don't want such a rigid schedule. I make loose plans: some locked in, others not. Anybody who wants that kind of detail really needs to do their own research, IMHO.

How about planning for 420 days? That's how long it will be between booking and actually boarding ms Volendam on April 10 in Sydney. I'm also the planner half of our duo, the obsessive list-maker and worrier, while DH drifts along with his handsome head in the clouds.

Most of the time I love the anticipation -- even the ironing and packing -- but this time we're also in the middle of buying our retirement home in another state. Yes, I'm the one dealing with the lender's requests for documents and arranging for insurance; the whole enchilada. I feel a bit like Sybil Fawlty these days....

Mrs M (or F)

We just can't help ourselves! :o

We enjoy planning........both the DW and I........but some of it is out of necessity.

Living in the middle of the country, we have to find the best choice to get usually to the East Coast including airfare and transfers, time of year (if winter don't connect with a Northern airport)......hotels etc.

Traveling to the embarkation city is now usually close to a half day if not most of the affair and it does take some planning.

I'm definitely of the persuasion that "planning is half the fun" and cannot understand anyone who lets someone else do all the planning for them.

When we travel with my sister and BIL, they prefer to follow our lead, and when they travel without us, they let a TA plan everything for them. They really hate taking care of those details. I just don't understand that, but to each their own.

I think DH and I have a pretty good system, I research the hotels and ports, and he handles any rental cars, air, etc. I guess you could say he takes care of getting us there, and I take it from there. :D

I'm definitely of the persuasion that "planning is half the fun" and cannot understand anyone who lets someone else do all the planning for them.

When we travel with my sister and BIL, they prefer to follow our lead, and when they travel without us, they let a TA plan everything for them. They really hate taking care of those details. I just don't understand that, but to each their own.

I think DH and I have a pretty good system, I research the hotels and ports, and he handles any rental cars, air, etc. I guess you could say he takes care of getting us there, and I take it from there. :D

Sounds like a good system! :)

I agree, the planning and anticipation is part of the fun. Hubby just needs to know the date and destination. Knows I will do the rest. Works for us and I honestly don't mind.

I am with you! My hubby told me that if I had planned our budget or retirement as carefully as I plan our vacations, we would be retired by now! :rolleyes: On a side note, hope that Air Canada doesn't go on strike or else all of my planning will be for nothing! :(

We enjoy planning........both the DW and I........but some of it is out of necessity.

Living in the middle of the country, we have to find the best choice to get usually to the East Coast including airfare and transfers, time of year (if winter don't connect with a Northern airport)......hotels etc.

Traveling to the embarkation city is now usually close to a half day if not most of the affair and it does take some planning.

This pretty much describes our planning projects too. Only I'll add a little to that. Since we're retired we can travel longer and more exotic routes and that is especially fun for me. I love history and our jaunts into Asia and Europe have been well researched and the anticipation is half the fun!

To have actually seen the Pyramids in Egypt, the Great Wall, and learned NEW things I had never heard of much less understood -has been SO EXCITING to me!!!!!

Our WORLD is amazing and now I FEEL as if we are citizens of a larger 'space' and I can understand the cultural distinctions. What I'll NEVER understand is the concept of killing each other [ but, then - I'm a woman!]

To me CRUISING is such an extraordinary GIFT!!!!!!!!

LawyerRose, we planners may seem like we have O-C disorder to others.

But as neuroses go, this one is pretty harmless.

I always travel with non-planners, and so it always works out.

Most of my relatives are this way - just go with the flow.

I made believers out of a few of them on a recent family reunion trip. I researched alot of things and made lists for everyone on things they could do onboard ship and in the ports. Also the hotel the night before.

A number of them mentioned to me that this made the trip SO MUCH more enjoyable than any other they had been on before!

Of course, they did not have to do the research..........

After many years of business and pleasure travel, I am convinced that planning ahead is the thing to do. Yes, it is a bit of work, but you have plenty of time to do it in the months before a cruise. And in the end it makes the cruise so much more relaxing and fun plus you are able to do so much more with your limited time. Plus, I often find things to do that are "off the beaten path" or a bit unusual, that you would never discover while on a standard cruise.

DaveOKC

DaveOKC

The poster somewhere on here the other day who was asking about what brand of margarine is served onboard (and others of that ilk) seem a bit over the top to me. We do enjoy the planning, but only the major elements like excursions and such.

Could care less what brand of steak sauce we get served. JMHO

Most of my relatives are this way - just go with the flow.

I made believers out of a few of them on a recent family reunion trip. I researched alot of things and made lists for everyone on things they could do onboard ship and in the ports. Also the hotel the night before.

A number of them mentioned to me that this made the trip SO MUCH more enjoyable than any other they had been on before!

Of course, they did not have to do the research..........

After many years of business and pleasure travel, I am convinced that planning ahead is the thing to do. Yes, it is a bit of work, but you have plenty of time to do it in the months before a cruise. And in the end it makes the cruise so much more relaxing and fun plus you are able to do so much more with your limited time. Plus, I often find things to do that are "off the beaten path" or a bit unusual, that you would never discover while on a standard cruise.

DaveOKC

DaveOKC

I agree completely!

LawyerRose, we planners may seem like we have O-C disorder to others.

But as neuroses go, this one is pretty harmless.

I always travel with non-planners, and so it always works out.

If it's a neuroses, it's one I enjoy. :p Seems like I always travel with the non-planners, too, so it DOES work out well.

We've always been the pack and go type because we usually don't plan trips all that far in advance. My sister is a big "planner" and she's always driven me nuts with her schedules and having every detail of every minute planned out. We always considered ourselves "spontaneous" and laid back travelers, NOT wanting to be kept to a schedule, just going with the flow, doing whatever we felt like at the moment.

This is the first time we've booked a trip 6 months in advance to places I don't know much about. I have to admit, I'm having a lot of fun reading everything I can about everywhere we're going and reading up all about the ship and all the cruiser tips, researching all the excursions and booking them. I'm having a lot of fun :) I think I'll start booking trips at least a couple of months in advance now so I can enjoy the planning.

** I should add too that previously, I was working full time, usually 50 to 60 hour weeks and didn't have much time or energy to research. I'm not working anymore, have lots of time on my hands, and am loving the planning. I think for me the work schedule had a lot to do with feeling like the vacation research was a pain.

I totally get the planning and I'm a lawyer too. My husband (also a lawyer) usually likes planning but not as much as I do.

My funny story is that the only thing my husband had to plan when we got married was our honeymoon. We decided to go to Portugal. We did have plane tickets, but when we got to Lisbon, we found out that he had forgotten to get a hotel arranged. A 24 hour trip from Portland OR, and no hotel room. That may have been the last trip he planned!

On our trips, I'm the planner and packer. I ask DH what he wants to see and do and then I do the research. But I'm also the one who plans our Military reunion group's events, DH is the president, but I do the leg work. I really enjoy it and get much more excited about our trips long before D day.

Wow,this is a good thread.I am also a great planner and its good to see i m not alone (my sons are always laughing about me for this "neurose")!This forum and the internet are so helpful to find details like maps,time-table for buses,trains,ships and so one and as soon as we have booked a journey I begin the research and collect all I can found.I think the joy of anticipation is the best,so I will go on to plan!

Archived