Discovery channel/re Costa Concordia

ehogan

I just watched the Discovery channel's program on the Costa Concordia accident. It was an excellent review of what went wrong and included passenger video footage and interviews with several survivors. as well as evaluations by marine experts. One thing that really was shocking to know was that if the winds had not pushed the ship into shore and had rather been blowing it out to sea, the Concordia would likely have sunk in deep waters and resulted in greater loss of life - perhaps in the hundreds.

My heartfelt sympathies to all who were on board - the terror they experienced was made obvious to me by this program.

We have cruised many times and I have never felt concerned about my safety, but this program was an eye opener and I am making some adjustments to my cruising in future - I still feel cruising is extremely safe, but I'll try to make sure:

- I know where my muster station is immediately on boarding, and locate it via several routes. (apparently new laws are in place that make it mandatory muster drills take place before the ship casts off- hopefully that is true and followed)

- I take along a couple of small flashlights (waterproof if I can find them),

one in the bedside drawer and one in my purse or pocket.

- I know where lifejackets are located on outside decks.

The marine experts stated that many errors and circumstances led to this tragedy - hopefully cruise lines take heed and make some changes.

We are still looking forward to our TA on April 14 - the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic :eek:

Good points. What I took away was. If it doesn't seem right to me, ignore the announcements and get myself and my family to the lifeboat area ASAP. I won't rely on what they tell the passengers. At the very least, we will be near the lifeboats when they decide to open them up.

I have never felt unsafe on Royal. I think they take safety and their responsibilities seriously and I think the crew is well trained. I think you of course have to make your own decisions but I think I will place my safety in their hands and follow instructions rather than take any every man for themselves attitude.

One thing that really was shocking to know was that if the winds had not pushed the ship into shore and had rather been blowing it out to sea, the Concordia would likely have sunk in deep waters and resulted in greater loss of life - perhaps in the hundreds.

I saw that documentary also and was shocked about the wind. Someone was watching over as the wrong wind direction could have meant a much larger disaster. Not only did it blow them back toward shore but right on a rock ledge.

The family with the 2 teen girls was amazing. The fact they had to scale down the top side without being able to see where they were going. They seemed so calm. God bless them.

I tease my husband because no matter where he is or what he is doing he always has a flashlight with him (he has quite the selection). I'm sticking with him in case of emergency, he'll be able to light the way.

The missteps that were taken with Concordia were astounding. The most riveting part of the entire special we thought was the absolute DISDAIN with which the Coast Guard were speaking to the Captain. They clearly thought he was way out of order. I think he is going to spend the rest of his life in jail.

I saw that documentary also and was shocked about the wind. Someone was watching over as the wrong wind direction could have meant a much larger disaster. Not only did it blow them back toward shore but right on a rock ledge.

Until watching that show, I had no idea it was the wind that put Concordia in that position. I thought the Captain steered toward shore as at least one previous report indicated. That is a miracle because had it not, they would have lost a lot more people.

The Discovery Channel airing was the best account I have seen to date. Fox did a pretty good show also.

Do you by any chance happen to remember the name of the show or what time it is on again? Was trying to do a search on Dish Network and could not find it. Thanks!

Cruise Ship Disaster: Inside The Concordia

Have they recovered any more bodies? Do we know how many are still missing? :confused:

We always feel safe on Royal and Princess. Won't ever cruise with Costa again.

nmi

According to LaRepubblica (major Italian newspaper,) a small robot will be sent down to where it's possible the 7 missing passengers may be.

The prep work for the Rov (Remote Operator Vehicle) was to start today. It's hoped to get the robot down in the next day or 2, depending on weather.

Until watching that show, I had no idea it was the wind that put Concordia in that position. I thought the Captain steered toward shore as at least one previous report indicated. That is a miracle because had it not, they would have lost a lot more people.

The Discovery Channel airing was the best account I have seen to date. Fox did a pretty good show also.

I believe he did steer towards shore, but that doesn't mean anything with no power and no propulsion, the ship just goes wherever the wind/waves take it, regardless of which way he steered. Fortunately the wind was blowing in the best possible direction.

If its the same programme shown in the UK i see not many commented on the fact that they still continued to use video from a Carnival ship of water flowing down the stairs! not good in my opinion.

Discovery Canada just replayed the episode. :eek:

Gross incompetence.

I can't believe how close thousands of people were to death. The wind and the lucky grounding on a ledge saved them!!!!! The delay to the life boats without the wind factor, and that ship would have rolled and sunk with almost everyone lost.

Put the captain on trial and either Hang him or lock him up for the rest of his cowardly miserable life.:mad:

Gross incompetence.

I can't believe how close thousands of people were to death. The wind and the lucky grounding on a ledge saved them!!!!! The delay to the life boats without the wind factor, and that ship would have rolled and sunk with almost everyone lost.

Put the captain on trial and either Hang him or lock him up for the rest of his cowardly miserable life.:mad:

Oh dear lynching is still a fact of life in your partof the country is it.

If you put someone on trial it's to weigh up the evidence and decide guilt. With you it's irrelevant what the trial result is you still 'wanna hanging to go to'

Gross incompetence.

So according to you the ship turned itself around due to the wind and sea alone! and had nothing to do with those on the bridge that night!

No mention i see of the fact that that discovery used footage from a Carnival ship to make their programme? now that is Gross Incompetance!!

If you put someone on trial it's to weigh up the evidence and decide guilt. With you it's irrelevant what the trial result is you still 'wanna hanging to go to'

We all are aware of the rights of the individual, however do you blame the members on here when you see and read about the gross negligence of this one individual that caused the death of 32, endangered another 4168, abandonded ship before the passengers, ignorned his responsibilities as a captain, has lied and continues to mislead both the investigators and others. With all these charges against this individual I think people feel justified in 'screaming blue murder' at this individual, fair trial or not !

Wishing you a happy barbie !!

rgds

:)

Obviously we'll need to await the outcome of the enquiry before we know the full story. From the reports we've heard, it appears that for some time after the ship was holed, it continued on its journey. It was only when the ship started listing that it was turned around in a desperate attempt to reach the ferry terminal on Isola del Giglio. The ship was too big to reach the harbour and ran aground on a reef near the island. That's when a bad situation became a disaster. Once aground, the ship fell onto its side making evacuation very difficult and trapping many people below water. If the ship had stayed in deeper water, it is likely to have remained afloat for many hours allowing time for an orderly evacuation.

A lot of mistakes were made and it is easy to say what should have happened with the benefit of hindsight. At least this incident may have shaken the cruise industry out of its complacency and made them realise that even today's biggest cruise ships can sink if correct procedures are not followed.

Obviously we'll need to await the outcome of the enquiry before we know the full story. From the reports we've heard' date=' it appears that for some time after the ship was holed, it continued on its journey. It was only when the ship started listing that it was turned around in a desperate attempt to reach the ferry terminal on Isola del Giglio. The ship was too big to reach the harbour and ran aground on a reef near the island. That's when a bad situation became a disaster. Once aground, the ship fell onto its side making evacuation very difficult and trapping many people below water. If the ship had stayed in deeper water, it is likely to have remained afloat for many hours allowing time for an orderly evacuation.

A lot of mistakes were made and it is easy to say what should have happened with the benefit of hindsight. At least this incident may have shaken the cruise industry out of its complacency and made them realise that even today's biggest cruise ships can sink if correct procedures are not followed.[/quote']

That's only one possible version of the scenario. The NatGeo's (I think) version was an entirely different set of events. According to the experts interviewed for that show, the engines lost all power almost immediately and the ship only moved on inertia, not engines. They did not believe that the captain played any role in grounding the ship on the rocks because he had no power to do so. The experts believed that the wind alone pushed the ship around and carried the ship onto the rocks, and by sheer luck the ship grounded before it toppled over in deep water. Had that happened, most likely, many more would have perished.

I know we are all eager to know all the facts surrounding the case, but I suspect it will be a long time before a full investigation and report is published.

Looking at this site http://www.worldweatheronline.com/Giglio-Porto-weather/Toscana/IT.aspx?day=21 which allows you to get the weather on the day of the incident it looks like the wind might have had neglible effect upon the ship....

The wind at 1900 was

19:00

wsymbol_0008_clear_sky_night.png

8 °c

6 °c

0.0 mm

1%

E.png6 mph

E

12 mph

75%

1019 mb

At 2200 it was

22:00

wsymbol_0008_clear_sky_night.png

13 °c

12 °c

0.0 mm

1%

ENE.png9 mph

ENE

11 mph

79%

1019 mb

So according to you the ship turned itself around due to the wind and sea alone! and had nothing to do with those on the bridge that night!

No mention i see of the fact that that discovery used footage from a Carnival ship to make their programme? now that is Gross Incompetance!!

Come on Bruce... you're defending the captain's actions... what was the high-light?

Sid

That is what they are saying. The ships AIS GPS track and speed is available.

The boat was dead in the water after all thrust failed very soon after hitting the rock.

You are comparing an edit error with killing 32 people and narrowly killing 100's of cruise ship passengers?

We have a word for that over here. :rolleyes::p Actually it's two words....

"We have a word for that over here. :rolleyes::p Actually it's two words.... "

Could not care less how many words you have for it!! the wind did not turn the ship around from its heading north to its heading facing South..:rolleyes:

Could not care less how many words you have for it!! the wind did not turn the ship around from its heading north to its heading facing South..:rolleyes:

I'll book mark that.... this mess, if the theory of dead in the water and an east wind is true, came within a breath of making the Titanic disaster sound acceptable with a fraction of the death toll of the Costa Concordia.

A massive hole through three water tight compartments, sound familiar?

Are you sure about the wind situation? I can't say either way, but so far I've read every single article posted on what happened to the ship after the crash and so far no definite information either way has been produced. The explanation from the experts who appeared on one of the shows gave a very plausible explanation as to how the wind could have indeed turned a dead in the water ship around. If the ship had no power whatsoever, except for the emergency generator- what would the captain have used to steer the ship? Perhaps the rudder controls played a role, but I haven't heard anything official yet.

Are you guessing that the wind did not play a role, or do you have some infomation that I missed? I'm not saying one opinion is right over another- it's just that I haven't been able to find anything concrete that truly says what actually caused the ship to end up where it did.

I would love the facts, but I'm guessing we will be waiting awhile. I would love to hear from actual passengers that might know if the thrusters or engines were running at all after the crash.

Davyjonesrugrat- That was interesting information that you posted because the one show described 23 mph (or knots, can't remember) that night. They said that the height of the ship and the strong winds made the ship act like a sail.

What a mystery for us all!

Has anyone taken tidal action into consideration? The wind is one thing but current flow is quite another..........Regards.

Archived