New terminal in port canaveral?

Just got off the freedom of the seas in port canaveral Sunday. There's a new cruise terminal being built and our shuttle driver on the way there said it was a new carnival terminal going up for another ship. On our way home though, a different shuttle driver told us it was a new royal Caribbean terminal being built to accommodate either the oasis or the allure? Does anyone know which is true? You can see the terminal being built right now but for what line?

Just got off the freedom of the seas in port canaveral Sunday. There's a new cruise terminal being built and our shuttle driver on the way there said it was a new carnival terminal going up for another ship. On our way home though, a different shuttle driver told us it was a new royal Caribbean terminal being built to accommodate either the oasis or the allure? Does anyone know which is true? You can see the terminal being built right now but for what line?

Carnival :)

It is being designed to handle an oasis-class ship, but I hear carnival has chipped in some money, so I guess they will be using it first.

That the Oasis or Allure could not fit into the port going out and one said going in that the Oasis would be here sometime next year.I heard it through the grapevine seems to be the norm LOL

Carnival does need a new or another dock, on ship on Sunday dock down the entrance channel.

New terminal is for Carnival. Royal Caribbean will continue to use Terminal 10. Carnival will use the new terminal for the Dream and they will no longer have to share Terminal 10 with Royal Caribbean.

It is being designed to handle an oasis-class ship, but I hear carnival has chipped in some money, so I guess they will be using it first.

Carnival will be using it all the time. It is being designed to handle the Carnival Dream. Royal Caribbean already has a terminal to handle the Oasis and Allure, it is in Ft. Lauderdale.

Why? They already built a new terminal for Oasis and Allure

That was in Ft. Lauderdale (Cape Everglades). The terminal in question is in Port Canaveral and it appears that Carnival, if they have contributed to the construction costs, will have priority over its use. RCI has committed Oasis and Allure to Fort Lauderdale for at least the next few years and so it is unlikely for that reason among a multitude of others, that you won't see either Oasis or Allure moving to Port Canaveral in the foreseeable future. In addition it seems difficult to see what advantages there would be for RCI moving one of those two ships northward given the port's lack of access to more ports of call, the limitations of airlift serving Cape Canaveral compared to what is available in southern Florida and a myriad of other reasons.

Carnival will use it for now since they have another ship here but our local paper has said all along that the new terminal was also being built for bigger ships to come here. As we all know doesn't matter what royal agreed to for port Everglades. If they decide it will make them money they will move it here. I'm thinking that it could be a sunshine class that they are waiting on. They have also cut into the bank to accommodate a bigger ship

Carnival will use it for now since they have another ship here but our local paper has said all along that the new terminal was also being built for bigger ships to come here. As we all know doesn't matter what royal agreed to for port Everglades. If they decide it will make them money they will move it here. I'm thinking that it could be a sunshine class that they are waiting on. They have also cut into the bank to accommodate a bigger ship

I don't think that RCI or any other line would be so cavalier about honoring their commitments but more importantly I fail to see what actual advantages there would be for basing Oasis or Allure in Canaveral given the several drawbacks associated with the location.

I don't think that RCI or any other line would be so cavalier about honoring their commitments but more importantly I fail to see what actual advantages there would be for basing Oasis or Allure in Canaveral given the several drawbacks associated with the location.

I don't think RCI is committed to the Oasis and Allure. They are just committed to a total passenger count. And that includes Celebrity ships that sail from there.

A couple of 3/4s or 5/5/4s on a Freedom or Voyager class would make up the difference in passenger counts.

I do agree that it wouldn't make sense logistically to move the Oasis or Allure. But it's not about making "cents", it's about making $$$$$

If anyone subscribes to Cruise Travel Magazine, there is a full page article on page 24 about the new $60 million cruise terminal being build in PC. The new terminal will be Terminal 6 and is scheduled for completion in the summer of 2012. No mention of which cruise line will be using it.

Carnival will use it because they are helping to fund the construction of the terminal. Currently the Dream Class ships that Carnival has are the largest in their fleet. What's to say that Carnival doesn't have something up their sleeve for a new class build larger than the Dream in the future?

There was a rumor that when Royal Caribbean comes out with the Sunshine class that they may home port an Oasis class ship up here in Brevard County, I do not believe it but it would make sense as to why they are widening the channel and building a brand new terminal. Cruise terminal 10 is large, but Cruise terminal 6 is supposedly to be able to handle bigger ships.

Archived