Formal Nights....... We Haven't Done This for a While......

sail7seas

It has been interesting to read this thread.

Someone mentioned that her formal dress weighed less than a pair of jeans & jacket. Very true!! I don't own any jeans and would rather have 2 formal outfits.

Which brings up what another said about outfits. His wife takes several ourfits, several pairs of shoes, etc. I used to take 3 formal skirts -- I have had to give up the floor length skirt because of the wheels on my walker. But I take 2 light weight skirts, 3 or 4 leight tops (depends on length of cruise), 1 pair of all purpose fancy pair of flats (can't wear heels any more) and 1 very small leight weight beaded purse.

On our recent Noordam and Maasdam cruises it was interesting to watch the assistant dining room managers stop people at the door who did not have on a jacket. They gave them one -- no tie. These men simply put the jacket over the arm of the chair -- never bothered to even try on the jacket to see if it fit. So people are breaking the rules and the dining room can't enforce them.

We fly to our cruises. The ridiculously restrictive luggage policies created by the airlines really put a crimp in planning and packing for a cruise. I bring only one black dress and change it with different shawls, etc. - but who really cares?

So DH brings a suit, dress shirt, shoes, etc. and I bring my dress, dressy shoes, etc - giving up valuable suitcase real estate that could better be used for another pair of walking shoes or maybe some items purchased along the way.

What, IMO, is most annoying that we have made the effort and at least 25% of passengers seated near us in the MDR are not dressed per the suggested dress code. I wish HAL and other cruise lines as well would enforce their code.

The essence of the inconsistancy lies in you last paragraph........

How does one ENFORCE........SUGGESTED?

Again I don't care one way or the other........but until suggested is changed to mandatory......there is no possible enforcement

Come on Guys... throw a sport jacket into your suitcase. Put on a pair of slacks and a golf shirt and add the sport jacket on non-formal nights. What will it hurt? I hate wearing ties... I wear them at work everyday. We will spend all day, every day in shorts, flip flops and flowered shirts... plenty of time for relaxation. But if you add a jacket to your slacks for dinner each evening, you will dress up your look - even just a bit. Plus most areas inside the ship is actually air conditioned - not to mention the cool evenings at sea... the jacket may come in handy for your sweethart when having the after dinner drink looking out to see from the ocean view bar or standing on the railing watching the moonlight reflect off the waves.

Formal nights.... tell me the difference between a regular shirt with a tie and a pleated shirt with a bow tie... still a tie.... still a shirt... but with a funny front and funny collar. Add a colored vest and tie to the same dark suit with a regular shirt, and viola! a second formal night... drop the vest... and hot-cha... a 3rd. A suit, is nothing more than a (2nd) jacket with matching pants...

The women really go for it... and most really appreciate the small little bit of extra work. Kinda pays back to them for the effort they go through to look nice. AND it is only for a few hours - drinks and the martini bar, dinner and a show. Dancing afterwards is completly optional.

Back in the hey-day of cruising, part of the glamor that HAL is trying to maintain, it would not have been outrageous to have been in a heavy wool suit and tie EVERY night and when outside, you would have had a hat on!

It is an easy small thing... just add the sport jacket when you pack, and pull it out on the first evening for dinner.... she will be surprised !!!

I have been known to wear the sport jacket when boarding the ship, makes the embarkation photo look nice and gives you many pockets in which to put paperwork, glasses, etc.

For those that don't want to dress respectfully, there are actually other cruise lines... owned by the same company as HAL... one of the reasons we like HAL over the "other" one, IS the people that go on the trips. I want to wear a jacket to dinner ! I want others to look nice! As others have pointed out, where does it stop? Part of the problem is that people don't know how to dress "Smart Casual"... most think that means sloppy. Mirrors are the one fashon accessory that most people don't use. A pair of Dockers look better than jeans, cost no more and weigh no more.

One other note... IF one is really concerned with the weight of the tux, shoes, etc... you can rent one for ~$100... comes with a shirt, tie all the trimmings and is waiting in your cabin when you arrive.

Small effort... big rewards... Lets all try... what do you say ? Let's see if maybe this next trip we can raise the bar and turn the tide in this all to casual attitude !

First round is on me ;)

Eliminate the formal nights and make it optional. People who wish to dress can still get their picture taken if that's important to them. People really have to give up the "old days" and come into the real world.

Ritchie,

The Real world is gone by.:mad: We are in the New World. It is a little unreal with all the body piercings etc we see. :eek:Ha--

I couldn't care one way or the other, but if the suggestion is to dress, then I dress out of respect for my fellow cruizers who have gone to the trouble to look nice in my presence. Why shouldn't I return the compliment.I think they call it etiquette. :)On a Norway cruise my luggage was lost for 8 days. I had decided I would not go to the formal night dinner and insult the other guest. Ths ship Constellation lent me a tux and no charge so I could attend the formal dinner.

I say do away with Formal Nights. From my very first cruise on the Carnival Destiny in May, 2004, I never did understand the reason for getting all dressed up in jacket and tie or Tux to eat dinner two nights a week on vacation. I'm on vacation, leave it tastefully casual, folks.:)

Of course, that's just my opinion, I don't think the cruise lines will get rid of Formal Nights.

Oh, My dear B744, it is called Nostalgia. :)There are still some restaurants that require jackets to enter, and will furnish one for you to use if you don't have one. I don't see how it would effect digestion, but that is the way it is done.

You are correct in that lines will probably maintain the suggested dress code. I wonder what the dress code is on a nudist cruise?:) Nudist are pretty strict on what you wear and you must follow the rules.:D

I like options. I think they should continue with it so those that love dressing up, can. But allow casual options for those who don't feel like it. DH dresses for work all the time. We frequently do the dress up thing for work events and benefits etc. so for us, it's not really "special". Vacation is time to relax, let our hair down, and do what we feel like. I object to the "dress up or stay in your room" attitude. I think they can do formal in one area of the ship and allow casual in another. That should keep everybody happy.

We made reservations in the Pinnacle for our first formal night, so we'll definitely dress on the first one. We'll take clothes for the second night, but may opt out and either eat in the Lido or do room service and have a romantic dinner on our balcony (weather/temps permitting since we'll be in Alaska lol). Keeping our options open lol

I usually follow dress codes, because I have the clothes. Usually all men have a jacket. If it gets too hot, take it off after you walk in a place. Don't be uncomfortable.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... “WOOHOO!!! What a ride!”

I love that and think I am following it. Got a pig valve in my aorta, bad knees, but still on the ride. Everytime I get close to a female pig my heart beats faster. Give me another Bombay Blue Sapphire Martini neat, with an Anchovy stuffed olive.

I object to the "dress up or stay in your room" attitude. I think they can do formal in one area of the ship and allow casual in another. That should keep everybody happy.

We made reservations in the Pinnacle for our first formal night, so we'll definitely dress on the first one. We'll take clothes for the second night, but may opt out and either eat in the Lido or do room service and have a romantic dinner on our balcony (weather/temps permitting since we'll be in Alaska lol). Keeping our options open lol

Logistically there are not that many places on a HAL ship to do formal one area nd informal elsewhere. The dining room only has two areas - upstairs (fixed) and downstairs (flexible) and to make one formal and the other casual will mess up the whole open/flexible can of worms.

As is, the Lido, Canaletto and in-room dining are the casual options available (and doable).

Formal nights are fun, you get to see & marvel at the fashion choices--both good and bad! The "WOW look at that" and the "WOW are they blind" factor is great entertainment.

If it was gone, we'd still dress up at least once or twice.

As for bags, airlines and such... I can fit all the gear I need in one full sized bag for any cruise less than 2 weeks. Longer than that I'll just use the laundry service and still have only 1 bag to worry on for airline travel. Throwing a suit or two in a garment bag, leaving the rest of the space for Karen's dresses has always been done. If we're driving to/from the port (leaving from NY/MD), the sky is the limit for packing (for Karen :mad:).

Derek

And we make it a point to compliment our shipmates (and friends here at home) when they go to the extra care & effort to dress up formally! :)

You are demonstrating the spirit of cruising.

Sadly, if HAL abandons formal nights it likely will turn into something resembling a Come As You Are event.

Interestingly, Princess has a similar dress guideline ... and passengers there definitely seem to dress more in keeping with the suggested attire. Just my observation.

It appears HAL is easing back on the number of formal nights per cruise and that, for me, raises the question, do you want them to cease having formal nights or do you want them to continue?

I don't MIND formal nights, but having sailed with Oceania where there are no formal nights, it was pretty nice and I liked it. However, every night is smart-casual, not casual-casual, and men often wore a jacket to dinner.

We have been discussing this lately, but since this will be our first cruise, we're not sure what to expect...we've decided to just skip formal nights and perhaps just do room service that night since I understand we can get whatever is being served in the dining room?

Warren, you will have plenty of menu choices at room service, I wouldn't bank on the full menu though. On formal nights there is usually surf 'n turf and I don't think that's on the pre-printed menu that is in your cabin, but it never hurts to ask. They are very accommodating. The menu will be posted outside the dining room that morning and you can see what you might like. There is also the Lido buffet where you can go casual. If I have a headache or something, I enjoy having dinner and a movie in my room. DH goes to the dining room and I slog around in my jammies.

Warren, you will have plenty of menu choices at room service, I wouldn't bank on the full menu though. On formal nights there is usually surf 'n turf and I don't think that's on the pre-printed menu that is in your cabin, but it never hurts to ask. They are very accommodating. The menu will be posted outside the dining room that morning and you can see what you might like. There is also the Lido buffet where you can go casual. If I have a headache or something, I enjoy having dinner and a movie in my room. DH goes to the dining room and I slog around in my jammies.

On HAL you can order from the MDR menu for room service - you just have to order it by a certain time after dinner service starts (delivery can be any time you choose)

I used to love them. Now not so much.

For the first one I usually complain but after dressing and looking indescribably beautiful (:D), I enjoy it! However, the second one I dread and sometimes I even change after dinner.

Just a little off topic here...looking at a 10 dayer. Does HAL still have three formal nights on a 10 day cruise?

HAL probably doesn't "enforce" the rules because they're not "rules", they're "suggested"

Quote straight fom the HAL website under Dress code":

"On festive formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress, or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, suit or tuxedo. There are usually 2formal nights per week.

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the SUGGESTED dress code throughout the entire evening."

The only thing that sounds like an actual "rule" is

"Tshirts, swimsuits, tank tops, and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas in the evenings."

There is an option, the Lido buffet(yep, I know you said options, with an 's'). I'm one who just love NCL's Freestyle Dining concept, you're not bound to dress up, just do............whatever, whenever.

Yes, I said we would eat in the lido or room service....that's optionS. Whatever we do, we plan to try not to offend others.

We say keep the formal nights! Although the extra care in packing can be a pain in the a$$, it's worth it to see all the attractive ladies and gentlemen in their formal attire.:):)

i want them to continue.

we like dressing up -- had many formal functions when we worked and enjoyed them.

should it stop all together -- you are going to see tons of people dressed as slobs at dinner and i don't want to see that.

hi--you said it right--when you spend money on a cruise--you want to dress in the evening dinner hour and see people dressed nicely---the joyces--irene and john

If you wish to have the surf and turf (lobster tail) on formal night, you can order it through Room Service.

Also, we've read here a number of times that HAL has the lobster tails in Lido most ships, most cruises. You could check in advance, if you wish.

I used to love them. Now not so much.

For the first one I usually complain but after dressing and looking indescribably beautiful (:D), I enjoy it! However, the second one I dread and sometimes I even change after dinner.

Just a little off topic here...looking at a 10 dayer. Does HAL still have three formal nights on a 10 day cruise?

Traditionally, HAL has had three formal nights for ten days cruises but recently we have read here that though cruise documents said there would be three formal nights, when people actually got to the ship, some found, on some cruises, they only had two formal nights.

Traditionally, HAL has had three formal nights for ten days cruises but recently we have read here that though cruise documents said there would be three formal nights, when people actually got to the ship, some found, on some cruises, they only had two formal nights.

Just returned from the Feb 24, 2012 Noordam Cruise, we had 3 Formal Nights on this sailing. They were the night of Half Moon Cay, At Sea (Day after Samana), and At Sea (Second to last night). One night was Tropical Casual, the rest were Smart Casual.

Two women here and we always fit everything into one simple carry-on each. No checked baggage.

We take our formal clothes and enjoy dressing up for formal night. We enjoy dressing for dinner. Even on the one night we wanted to avoid a person at our table and we ate in the Lido (she drank a lot--the only person we ever saw on HAL to do it so sloppily in the MDR)--we dressed for the evening. There is something lovely about returning from a day snorkeling or whatever and dressing for dinner.

I guess I would like to see the cruiselines go to "formal optional" nights, where everyone is encouraged to dress up but not required to do so. That way the people who love formal dress can go for it without excluding those who either can't or don't want to participate. I still would like to see people make an effort to look nice. There is casual......and there is casual. I'm not ready for the low end of the spectrum in the dining room.

You know, it's really not about the cost of taking an extra suitcase along, either. The cost is peanuts....the problem is that we are getting older, and we simply can't handle tons of stuff. Last year when we disembarked Westerdam in San Diego after 35 days, we were literally forced to carry our own luggage off the ship or seriously risk missing our flights. I'll spare everyone the details because the problems with disembarking in San Diego have been discussed on this board several times, but we had to carry all three bags and two carryons down a couple of flights of stairs. It was not easy, and it was something I never anticipated happening. I was able to handle it last year, but I might not be able to handle it next year.

As we get older, we're trying to simplify everything, including cruising. Our formal night attire has morphed into a sports coat and tie for him and crepe palazzo pants, a dressy top, and sandals for me. We find that we fit in fine in the dining rooms on HAL and Celebrity with these clothes on formal nights, and that's probably the way it will continue. We'd love to look like we did in the tux and fancy dresses, but it's more than we can handle these days.

They are having 3 formal nights on our 22 night cruise.

If I were HAL tsar, I'd eliminate the requirement. I fully understand why people enjoy it and no reason I see they should feel the need to abandon what they enjoy. I on the other hand hate hauling around formal wear - keep in mind I don't mind wearing it all though.

As cruises continue down the road of nickel-and-diming, the luxury sensation is already eroded quite a lot (from ALL lines except super premium) IMO.

Cruises offer tons of alternatives now, so by not dressing you miss nothing (unless you of course look forward to the allure of dressing).

Archived