Aqua class cabins on Infinity question

darsura

I am holding a cabin on deck 9 midship, but there are cabins available on deck 11 in the aft section. I picked deck 9 because I was on this deck a few years ago in a concierge cabin mid-ship and really liked the location, but wonder what deck 11 is like. Besides location, what are the differences in the room or veranda? Any help appreciated.

Glad you posted this, OP. I'm in same situation - have a hold on an AQ on 9 but wondering whether we should go to 11. From what I've seen 9 has the big overhangs (wondering whether this will be a problem or not as far as blocking vision on an Alaska cruise) and 11 does not. But on the other hand there doesn't seem to be a lot of cover on the 11 decks and I've read somewhere someone thought the balconies seemed just a teeniest bit shallower.

I am glad you posted as well, because I just realized that I made a mistake in my original post. I was on Deck 8, not Deck 9, on my cruise to Alaska 2 years ago. I think I was booked initially on Deck 9 and moved to Deck 8 because I read about the overhang possibly being an issue.

Deck 11 may be a better choice, but I will wait to hear more from fellow cruisers ont this.

I am holding a cabin on deck 9 midship, but there are cabins available on deck 11 in the aft section. I picked deck 9 because I was on this deck a few years ago in a concierge cabin mid-ship and really liked the location, but wonder what deck 11 is like. Besides location, what are the differences in the room or veranda? Any help appreciated.

Here are a couple links for summit Aquaclass on deck 11

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=32724058&postcount=2

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=32905905&postcount=8

Hope these help

I was on the 11 th floor aft in AQ on the infinity in January. I liked the location because there is an elevator nearby. I also liked being able to go out the back door, down the stairs to the 10 th floor aft bar. It's the best place to hangout late in the day.

These cabins are new, not refurbished which is also nice.

I was on the 11 th floor aft in AQ on the infinity in January.

How much overhang was there? It doesn't look like much from pics I've seen; just wondering on an Alaska itinerary with rain/mist if there would be much protection.

We were on the Summit 2 weeks ago, 1138. I would love to say the cabins were awful (turn less people on to them!), but I can't. Nothing not to love about them! Liked it so much booked again for alternate itinerary next Feb in same cabin!

The cabins themselves are like the other balcony and CC, though these are new and all have been updated. The balconies themselves are quite large. The 2 end balconies are the smallest, but still larger than side balcony. Center cabin, 1140, has the largest balcony and is symmetrical. The other 2 in between (1138 and twin), have a short wall on one side and longer on the other, making it more of irregular shape, but very large. Whoever said these might be shallow clearly hasn't been on them.

Location can't be beat! Quick walk down the back stairs to grab a drink from sunset bar on 10 or a snack from buffet just inside on 10. Elevators are very close.

Noise was never an issue...we were able to hear the steel drum from the balcony, but what's bad about that? Not terribly loud, and no voice noise that we noticed. No smoke issues in 1138, but can't speak for the cabin port on the end (they allow smoking on port side of sunset bar on 10).

As for privacy, might be a matter of personal preference. No issues from deck 12, as the railing is set back so then can't see straight down. If you are out on the end of the balcony, you can be seen from 12 and from 10. But there is an overhang that provides cover, so we could sit in a normal location on the balcony, not be seen from above or below, not see them, listen to tunes and enjoy a beverage. Let me say that the end balconies are able to be seen the most from deck 10 and 1140 can be seen the least.

I have some photos I will go retrieve and post for you.

Here are 3 views of the balcony from inside the cabin and 1 view of deck 10 looking down from the balcony. I should point out that in the picture looking down on deck 10, I was mainly photographing the tugs and lines as we were trying to get docked in St Kitts, so you do not get the full view of the sunset bar and seating. Standing at that rear railing you can see all of that corner of the seating area. The white canopy blocks your view straight down to the bar and, actually, to most of the bar except those corners (and vice versa, blocks those on 10 from looking up at you).

429534107_Balcony2.jpg.d6fe1ec2271433f60ba2cb2d66733fe4.jpg

1221288573_Balcony3.jpg.9efce80dc4cc609f8edc7cb1893033ef.jpg

1673741011_Balcony4.jpg.894e8f1aa98edf05f3ac10f6830bca83.jpg

586923740_Balcony1.jpg.6e4d323d3d478914be8d819b1718487a.jpg

We just switched from an aqua class on 9 to an aqua class on the starboard side of deck 11. A few reasons:

1- In looking at the deck 9 cabins, you are covered by a HUGE overhang from deck 10. While we like being covered it looks like the overhang extends a good 10 feet beyond the end of the balcony. It also looks like the beams that support the deck above could pose an impact to the view. Deck 11 balconies have very little cover but that does not concern us as much.

2- As someone said above, the deck 11 cabins are NEW as opposed to refurbished. It will be nice to be in a brand new cabin.

3- The deck 9 cabin we had was under the aqua spa pool area. We had some concern about noise from above. The cabin we have on deck 11 is under a sun deck but that location will be far less used than the spa above us would have been on 9.

I think it is a toss up either way but those were our reasons.

We just switched from an aqua class on 9 to an aqua class on the starboard side of deck 11. A few reasons:

1- In looking at the deck 9 cabins, you are covered by a HUGE overhang from deck 10. While we like being covered it looks like the overhang extends a good 10 feet beyond the end of the balcony. It also looks like the beams that support the deck above could pose an impact to the view. Deck 11 balconies have very little cover but that does not concern us as much.

2- As someone said above, the deck 11 cabins are NEW as opposed to refurbished. It will be nice to be in a brand new cabin.

3- The deck 9 cabin we had was under the aqua spa pool area. We had some concern about noise from above. The cabin we have on deck 11 is under a sun deck but that location will be far less used than the spa above us would have been on 9.

I think it is a toss up either way but those were our reasons.

same reason for our own selection of Aquaclass 11..Plus the easy access to the aft bar on 10:D

we got a starboard cabin near aft...but still trying for a swap to 1138 or 40 for reasons so kindly offered by blazeconsolting in the posts above..

Ooops, sorry! To offer my .02 from seeing the side AQ on 11, though not staying in there....the overhang is quite small and there is limited protection from the elements, if any. Certainly you couldn't be out there in the rain, as you could on deck 9 AQ. But the location and other benefits of those remain the same as the aft location.

same reason for our own selection of Aquaclass 11..Plus the easy access to the aft bar on 10:D

we got a starboard cabin near aft...but still trying for a swap to 1138 or 40 for reasons so kindly offered by blazeconsolting in the posts above..

We were not lucky enough to get an aft cabin but are still happy w/ the selection. We have our eyes open in the event one becomes available.

We are on Deck 11 port side for an Alaskan cruise. The cabins provide umbrellas that we will use to sit out on the balcony even if there might be some rain!

Bringing duct tape along to attach those umbrellas to the deck chairs :D!

Ooops, sorry! To offer my .02 from seeing the side AQ on 11, though not staying in there....the overhang is quite small and there is limited protection from the elements, if any. Certainly you couldn't be out there in the rain, as you could on deck 9 AQ. But the location and other benefits of those remain the same as the aft location.

Agreed - would not be able to use in the rain but from our own past expericence, even when we are covered we do not generally go on the balcony if it is raining. Ours is for Canada/New England so chances are if it is raining it is going to be too chilly to be on the balcony anyway.

From the photos, it looks like the side aqua cabins on deck 11 extend all the way out to the edge of the ship and have clear, unobstructed views looking straight down to the water.

The aft aqua cabins on deck 11 appear to be recessed inward quite a distance away from the stern of the ship, with decks 10, 9, 8, 7 and 6 all extending out further below them like tiers on a wedding cake.

From the photos, it looks like the side aqua cabins on deck 11 extend all the way out to the edge of the ship and have clear, unobstructed views looking straight down to the water.

The aft aqua cabins on deck 11 appear to be recessed inward quite a distance away from the stern of the ship, with decks 10, 9, 8, 7 and 6 all extending out further below them like tiers on a wedding cake.

To those who have stayed in rear aft aqua cabins on deck 11, can you tell me if when sitting and looking out, I will see the decks below?

To those who have stayed in rear aft aqua cabins on deck 11, can you tell me if when sitting and looking out, I will see the decks below?

As I understand it (not having sailed yet) From the aft balconies in Aquaclass on 11 (5 balconies of 1133,41,40,38 and 30) looking directly down one would see the white canapy over the aft bar and the corners of the aft bar deck in various degrees depending on the cabin balcony pov (as depicted in photo at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=32807604&postcount=3 )..looking out further one would see the ship's flag mast and the ocean..but not any other lower decks.

As I understand it (not having sailed yet) From the aft balconies in Aquaclass on 11 (5 balconies of 1133,41,40,38 and 30) looking directly down one would see the white canapy over the aft bar and the corners of the aft bar deck in various degrees depending on the cabin balcony pov (as depicted in photo at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=32807604&postcount=3 )..looking out further one would see the ship's flag mast and the ocean..but not any other lower decks.

That's accurate.

If you are sitting close to the sliding door, especially on the 3 center cabin balconies, you will not see anything below, or just the fringe of the white canopy. If you are sitting out closer to the glass balcony wall, you can see down to deck 10, either directly onto the white canopy or the tables and seating area at the corners of the sunset bar.

When standing at the railing, you can just see down into some of the outer portions of the balconies on deck 9 and maybe a bit lower. It will depend on which aft cabin you have. I think I posted pics a bit further up in this thread with photos from the balcony of 1138. If not, I'll repost them.

I have booked a Cabin on Deck 9 as well and chose not to pick Deck 10...

only reason last 2 cruises on RCCL I chose forward by staircase and elevators (decks 9/10) so I had option to move freely and NOT always wait for an elevator...also was wondering about vibrations in aft cabins by the smoke stack... RCCL lounges vibrate...sometimes...

Another ??? is smoking allowed on balconies????

Our cabin steward on RCCL actually offered an outside ashtray....for balcony.

Archived