Newcastle no more???

Interesting topic :rolleyes:.

My last 3 cruises were from OPT with Royal Caribbean and I can say that their embarkation system is terrible in comparison to P&O. Those white tents that P&O are are using at Newcastle and Wharf 5 are air conditioned, have plenty of seating, toilets and a cafe. You can check in early and are given a boarding card so you at least have an idea when to board. Royal Caribbean at OPT :rolleyes:, yep, just so much fun lining outside for over an hour or more in the heat, the rain etc - that's even before you get a chance to check-in. Oh and the toilets, Porta-loos as well, located across the road from the OPT. Royal Caribbean can learn a lot of lessons from P&O who know how to do embarkation properly.

I dont find the OPT too bad for embarkation...why stand outside in the sun or rain when you can drop your bags and head for one of the many interesting old pubs in the area and be comfortable and cool. It certainly could do with some modernising though...my main criticism is when disembarking the taxi and chaos downstairs with people leaving and arriving is very disorganised.

I think NZ does it very well in Auckland.....very very organised when you disembark there.

Sue

I dont find the OPT too bad for embarkation...why stand outside in the sun or rain when you can drop your bags and head for one of the many interesting old pubs in the area and be comfortable and cool. It certainly could do with some modernising though...my main criticism is when disembarking the taxi and chaos downstairs with people leaving and arriving is very disorganised.

Sue

Lol, can't see that happening with 3 kids in tow. They just want to get on the ship (can't blame them) :D. We try to get there as early as possible to avoid the queues but it's just impossible as there always is one. I just meant that they need to have a temporary marquee that should be put up every time they return to Sydney.

Hi Central Coaster Brossy...we are neighbours now email me we are organising a CC get together at my place.

Aaah kids in tow that makes it a bit more complicated..there is a lovely pub/beer garden that is kid friendly down George St a bit called Phillips Foote its one of my favourites..they can run around there or you could drop bags are pop off to the powerhouse museum until the crowds thin a bit...

I get on early too..but have finally made it to the preferred checkin so not too much waiting...and kids grown up :)

Sue

For matters such as these , comparisons between Australia and places like China or the US are ludicrous.

China is a one Party State with over a thousand million people. The Authorities can do whatever they want. Can you imagine what would happen in Australia if the authorities here decided to fill in part of Sydney Harbour just to build a cruise terminal!! :)

You have to see it to believe it. What China has done is amazing. The only difference between our government and theirs is that they manage to get things done while out here we do nothing for years on end and complain about nothing being done.

It is not just RCI that has problems at OPT as we have had problems with queueing for all ships that we have embarked there. The worse being RCI in Feb on Tas cruise. As they had a 5.00pm departure, emailed most to arrive at 11.00 and they did! Oriana was not much better as it was late, long lines and it was raining! It's the nature of the complex, not good, but I put on my cruise satisfaction forms, a request for more shelter and water along the line, perhaps if we all complain they might do something about it, that is if they bother to read these computerised forms probably at a head office somewhere in US. Even a line of outdoor umbrellas would be better than nothing on hot or wet days. We were fine but it was a bit tough on the families with children and some of the older and frailer. Even had a lineup for QE, but not too bad. Have never had any problem disembarking there and getting a taxi up on top level, although we are usually in the later group to disembark. Have priority boarding with Princess and must admit it is a breeze and with plenty of seats even if you arrive early at the marquee at Darling Harbour. But I forget the lineup very quickly as soon as I step aboard.

Interesting topic :rolleyes:.

My last 3 cruises were from OPT with Royal Caribbean and I can say that their embarkation system is terrible in comparison to P&O. Those white tents that P&O are are using at Newcastle and Wharf 5 are air conditioned, have plenty of seating, toilets and a cafe. You can check in early and are given a boarding card so you at least have an idea when to board. Royal Caribbean at OPT :rolleyes:, yep, just so much fun lining outside for over an hour or more in the heat, the rain etc - that's even before you get a chance to check-in. Oh and the toilets, Porta-loos as well, located across the road from the OPT. Royal Caribbean can learn a lot of lessons from P&O who know how to do embarkation properly.

My experience in embarking at OPT with RCL twice was the complete opposite of yours - no queues straight to counter and straight on ship. No wait and no fuss, I thought it was great!:)

You have to see it to believe it. What China has done is amazing. The only difference between our government and theirs is that they manage to get things done while out here we do nothing for years on end and complain about nothing being done.

Amazing yes..... probably they get it done because none of the population has a say! LOL Here everyone has a say and usually no one agrees LOL

Sue

My experience in embarking at OPT with RCL twice was the complete opposite of yours - no queues straight to counter and straight on ship. No wait and no fuss, I thought it was great!:)

Agreed, I'm confused what's happened as I saw no queues into the sun. We did have small queues outside the doors to get in but that was undercover. Overall, it was no major waiting, onboard in say half an hour-45 minutes, which is similar to other terminals. There's variation between each each time but nothing that stood out that was worse at OPT.

(I would say the first time with RCL they managed the internal check in queues very poorly, but that's not about OPT, and fortunately was working much better the next time through.)

I tried a Google search for the best cruise terminal in the world - various wordings and little result except for this comment which for me sums it up.

"I have yet to see a truly good cruise terminal, in the sense of being at the same time, convenient, welcoming, entertaining-as in things to do while waiting. One side of San Juan(RCL) was ok - shabby, but convenient to sights and all. The other side - Celebrity- was dreary. They are all mostly a means to an end, a neceaasry evil, so to speak. Don't plan a cruise based on the terminal."

Aristotle in response to a plea for votes and comments on cruise terminals from a student doing a project.

Colleen

Same with me as allot of my cruises departing Sydney were on ships too big to fit under the bridge.

Having observed the comments I can only come to two conclusions about why some see it as crowded.

1 - Is that people are turning up too early and starting a queue when there need not be and check in has not commenced.

2 - The ships that can fit under the harbour bridge have allot less passengers than those that cannot so it stands to reason that there are more people to board on the Circular Quay side.

My attitude is that I never join a queue for anything. If I am joining a cruise and I see a queue I just walk away and come back later. Its the same on the ship for lunch where I go at a quiet time so I dont have to queue up. My life involves finding better things to do than lining up for anything. Perhaps others should do the same and they like me would find they do not have the bother of long waits in queues.

Big M must have arrived at a very opportune time as when we arrived at 11 ish on 12.2 as per RCI email, the line had not yet started to move and eventually became elongated to the end of the plaza area outside area near the fence. When it did move there was a huge lineup inside as expected but at least we were under cover and we were lucky to be placed in priority check-in. And it was a warm sunny day. Admittedly our Rhapsody check-ins were not to this extreme but I think the comparison made was that at the marquee, there was seating available whilst waiting, under cover and with a facility to get cold drink, coffee etc inside the site. Just my personal experiences although I have only experienced this with Princess, not P&O, at the marquee. But we will do it again, queues or not, in Oct '12 with circumnavigation on Radiance at OPT and in May at the marquee for Dawn Princess. Can't come soon enough!

Sutho is right ! - everybody is overly keen to get onto their ship as early as possible. With the result that many do turn up earlier than they have been told to - and hence there are queues. I agree that sitting in the bar over the road is much more preferable to standing in a line for an hour. Why do people all rush to board an aircraft - they all have a seat reservation. Isn't it better to wait until all the peasants have boarded first?? :D

The problem with OPT is that there is nowhere to wait your turn after checking in your luggage without having to stand up. Brisbane Portside has a very comfortable airconditioned building to sit in while you wait for your turn to board - and Cunard even turn on a violin Quartet to entertain in their marquee:D.

Barry-

Why do people all rush to board an aircraft - they all have a seat reservation. Isn't it better to wait until all the peasants have boarded first??

Barry-

We like to board as soon as we can so there is still space in the overhead lockers to put our hand luggage. This can be three pieces between us (allowed two each on Qantas).

We like to board as soon as we can so there is still space in the overhead lockers to put our hand luggage. This can be three pieces between us (allowed two each on Qantas).

3 pieces of hand luggage???? :confused:

Barry

3 pieces of hand luggage???? :confused:

Barry

Yes - three pieces between two people (plus my large handbag that I keep on the floor). We have a camera bag that also has some other 'stuff', a laptop computer bag (fairly small) and a roll-along that has valuables, medication (not much) and delicate stuff that we don't trust to our checked-in suitcases.

If we fly with Virgin we have to consolidate and reduce by one piece :) as we can only have one hand luggage each (plus my handbag!!).

Yes - three pieces between two people (plus my large handbag that I keep on the floor). We have a camera bag that also has some other 'stuff', a laptop computer bag (fairly small) and a roll-along that has valuables, medication (not much) and delicate stuff that we don't trust to our checked-in suitcases.

If we fly with Virgin we have to consolidate and reduce by one piece :) as we can only have one hand luggage each (plus my handbag!!).

Well - we may be in for a shock soon. We came home with 10 bags of assorted sizes last year (no air) - this time we are restricted to 2 checked bags and 2 cabin bags. Checked bags are actually 30 KG for us - but we will not pack to that limit as it is too heavy for us to personally handle - we will have to limit them to 20 kg each) . Can't see us manhandling 30 kg bags onto trains in Europe ! :p Just sent 2 friends off to Thailand for 3 weeks - they had one bag each - 10 KG each!! :eek:

Barry

Well - we may be in for a shock soon. We came home with 10 bags of assorted sizes last year (no air) - this time we are restricted to 2 checked bags and 2 cabin bags. Checked bags are actually 30 KG for us - but we will not pack to that limit as it is too heavy for us to personally handle - we will have to limit them to 20 kg each) . Can't see us manhandling 30 kg bags onto trains in Europe ! :p Just sent 2 friends off to Thailand for 3 weeks - they had one bag each - 10 KG each!! :eek:

Barry

They probably didn't need tuxedos and evening clothes! :D They also wouldn't need winter clothes for a trip to Thailand.

Big M must have arrived at a very opportune time as when we arrived at 11 ish on 12.2 as per RCI email, the line had not yet started to move and eventually became elongated to the end of the plaza area outside area near the fence. When it did move there was a huge lineup inside as expected but at least we were under cover and we were lucky to be placed in priority check-in. And it was a warm sunny day.

Yeah, I was on the same Tasmania cruise. When we eventually arrived at the OPT, much later than planned due to some mix up with RCI arranged transfers (seemed to be a problem between the Travel Agent, RCI in Miami and Radiance of the Seas??) there were queues right from the entry to the OPT (lower level) right down to the southern part of that plaza (with a large tree) then a horseshoe back to the stairs up to the 2nd level of the OPT.

Hoping the embarkation in Fremantle 2013 for my next cruise will be better. With a 10 pm depature on Voyager of the Seas I'd assume check-in will be much more spread out.

Hoping the embarkation in Fremantle 2013 for my next cruise will be better. With a 10 pm depature on Voyager of the Seas I'd assume check-in will be much more spread out.

The cruise terminal in Fremantle is well-designed to handle the crowds. Everyone enters the building and goes up one flight of stairs (I don't know if there are lifts for people who can't manage stairs). There is plenty of room to sit and wait until your group is called to walk (on the same level) to the check-in desks.

Glad to know that about the cruise terminal in Freemantle Aus Traveller.....you wouldn't know of a good hotel in Perth and the approx cost of a taxi to the terminal from Perth would you? we are heading there soon for Northen Explorer and any tips appreciated.

Also if anyone has any tips on Lombok, Geraldton and Broome as these are new ports for us also.

Glad to know that about the cruise terminal in Freemantle Aus Traveller.....you wouldn't know of a good hotel in Perth and the approx cost of a taxi to the terminal from Perth would you? we are heading there soon for Northen Explorer and any tips appreciated.

Also if anyone has any tips on Lombok, Geraldton and Broome as these are new ports for us also.

Sorry, no. We flew in on the morning of the cruise (didn't have much choice) and took the Princess shuttle bus to the ship.

There is quite a lot to see in both Perth and Fremantle. The cities virtually join together so a taxi fare from Perth city to Fremantle would actually be a fair bit less than from the Perth airport ($60 or so). Someone else can probably give you more information. :)

Geraldton - When we were there last year there was a hop-on/hop-off sightseeing bus with a minimal cost (I think it was $5) waiting where we walked into the parking area near the tender jetty. Definitely disembark at the HMAS Memorial. There will probably be free walking tours available when you are there. Get back on the bus and get off at the stop for the St Francis Xavier Cathedral. It is stunning. You might be able to catch a free tour there. From there you could get back on the bus to the centre of the town (not far from the Cathedral) and get off to see the Museum. Take particular note of the display on the wreck of the Batavia in 1629. It is an amazing story. From the Museum it is a short walk back to the tender jetty.

Broome - Take the free shuttle bus to the tourist information office where there are tours available. Consider going to the famous Cable Beach where there are camel rides. In town (couple of blocks from the info centre) I suggest you go to the Pearl Luggers Museum.

Thank you Aus Traveller.....always good to get information from people who have been there, looks like a busy day in Geraldton with a lot of options, I like to get on a hop on bus a good way to take in the sights.

Broome is a place DH has always wanted to see so even though it's only a day it will be a chance to see if we want a longer return visit.

Archived