Specific question re: new balcony furniture

nunuc2000

With all the talk lately about the new - and NOT improved - furniture on the balconies, we were wondering specifically about the Caribe aft-facing balconies on the Crown... anyone know what they have now?

We will be on the Crown in October and are hoping to have the 2 lounge type chairs and two regular chairs, along with the table - that is what the Princess Rep told us would be on there when we first booked last year.

Seems like every other week now there are little things cropping up about our upcoming cruise that are detracting from the enjoyment factor: The dropping of Rhodes on our first leg of the B2B, the reduction in balcony furniture, the possibility of Egypt being dropped on the second leg due to security reasons (though I'll admit this issue is not in Princess' control).

Thanks for any info you can provide...

Celine

The new furniture is awful. On Caribe, just two reclining chairs, a small round table and a lot of empty space. No footstools, nada. The chairs themselves are very uncomfortable. I'm literally waiting to disembark the Star and had a Caribe balcony for 16 days. Couldn't use my balcony because they were so uncomfortable, even lining with towels and a pillow.

The new furniture is awful. On Caribe, just two reclining chairs, a small round table and a lot of empty space. No footstools, nada. The chairs themselves are very uncomfortable. I'm literally waiting to disembark the Star and had a Caribe balcony for 16 days. Couldn't use my balcony because they were so uncomfortable, even lining with towels and a pillow.

Pam, I wholeheartedly agree with you about the comfort. We were on the Crown in a mini a month back and yes we did have the foot stools and larger table.... but wow, you just could not find a comfortable position in those chairs. Either they were too upright or reclining one notch went too far and it generally took the use of the pool towels etc to make them semi-comfortable. We made due, but wow did anyone think to even sit in these to see if they would like them before purchasing? We have stayed in Caribe balconies and minis in the past and the old furniture just seemed fine.

The funny thing we noticed was that while we were docked in Cozumel directly beside a Carnival ship, we noticed right away that their balcony furniture looked exactly the same. I suspect CCL got a discount on this stuff!!!!

Bummer. :( It will be our very first balcony and we were really looking forward to enjoying it as much as possible, including hosting my brother and sister-in-law on our balcony occasionally as well... but it sounds like that will be a bit of a challenge. Oh well... we'll just have to make do, I guess.

Mini Suites are being converted to two semi-loungers, two footstools and the larger table. I believe someone posted the other day that they switched out the furniture during their cruise in January. If I can find that post I will link to it.

ETA-Ah, found it, but it was the Coral, not the Grand: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=32910354&postcount=79

When I was on the Crown last month with an aft balcony, it was just the 2 reclining chairs and the small table. Far as I can tell looking at the pictures that people have posted, it looked the same to me as what people say the new furniture is (complete to the really small table). Now, that said, I personally didn't find it to be uncomfortable myself, and spent a fair amount of time sitting on them. Sure, it's not as comfortable as the nice furniture that suites get, but still seemed reasonable to me.

Pam so sorry you did not get to enjoy your balcony:( Just not Right. Why Companies feel the need to ruin things customers want is beyond me !

Pam I respect your opinion.........I'm relatively new to Princess........do you think this is a deal breaker as far as the value to having a balcony??

that is what the Princess Rep told us would be on there when we first booked last year.

You can't always believe what they say.

The first time we booked a minisuite (years and years ago) the rep told us so much stuff that was included with our cabin that was NOT true:

like priority boarding and first off the ship in ports, dinner with the captain and so much more. That's why I book with a TA.

You can't always believe what they say.

The first time we booked a minisuite (years and years ago) the rep told us so much stuff that was included with our cabin that was NOT true:

like priority boarding and first off the ship in ports, dinner with the captain and so much more. That's why I book with a TA.

ain't that the truth!!! :mad:

Archived