Hey HAL how about this during pre-boarding...

califgary

Last month when we cruised on Oosterdam, before the boarding began while we were in the waiting area - HAL set up a table for folks to purchase soda - wine packages before boarding - I thought this was a great idea.

HAL reps reading this - how about setting up a way of doing dining reservations during this time as well - this way we could get the Pinnacle and Canneloni reservations all done ahead of time too ---

Just a thought!

This was in San Diego just last February - I thought it was a great idea and if we could get the dining reservations out of the way too, we could enjoy touring the ship instead of the mad dash to make those reservations......again just a thought!

When we had to wait until mid-afternoon to board, there were tables set up in the waiting room. Wine packages, salon services, and I think other things were sold.

But now, when we board so early, there are two problems I see with continuing the practice.

First, after the first rush of people are checked in and allowed to start boarding, there really isn't a crowd to sell to. It's a quick operation to arrive and board the ship.

The second problem I see is that there is only so much crew to go around. We board early, and have the opportunity for lunch in the dining room. Staff is needed there. Cabins are turned over quickly, and additional staff is reassigned to help in the process. Luggage is loaded, sorted, and delivered very quickly.

Do you want people reassigned from those functions?

Years ago HAL did have a table set up in Ft Lauderdale where you could purchase the wine packages -- even bottles of wine for dinner.

Haven't seen that lately there -- but we haven't been at pier 26 too often.

I can picture the tables set up beside the side window wall but don't think I've seen it in recent years. I don't think they have the pre-purchasing in the terminal anymore. BUT, we used to sit there longer before we boarded. In those days, we didn't board the ship until at least 1:00 or after. Now, they start boarding much earlier so not as much time for people to wander over and do their purchasing.

Last month when we cruised on Oosterdam, before the boarding began while we were in the waiting area - HAL set up a table for folks to purchase soda - wine packages before boarding - I thought this was a great idea.

HAL reps reading this - how about setting up a way of doing dining reservations during this time as well - this way we could get the Pinnacle and Canneloni reservations all done ahead of time too ---

Just a thought!

Great thought Califgary but with Stateroom Direct there's not a lot of waiting at the pier honestly. On embark day they do have a lot of tables for various things set up at the Lido (midship) pool. There's also a station usually in the lido and also in the Explorer's Lounge for restaurant reservations. (Pre-cruise on the HAL website can also take care of a lot, but not necessarily EVERY item you're interested in :) )

Just a thought!

Good idea..

I thought this was standard practice. While embarking in Seattle, there has always been a table selling the wine tasting packages. And yes, embarkation was fast, but it only took a few minutes to sign up for one.

I don't remember any other tables...just the wine table.

Archived