JVS and Exec Chefs Now on Eclispe

Orator

I seriously doubt that! Most people outside of the UK market have no interest in Xmas pudding and mince pies. Are we complaining that you got tea kettles as a concession to British tastes!! I do find it somewhat of a double standard as we coffee drinkers are not provided with coffee making equipment.

You don't get x-mas pudding? OMG ! and from a nation that wastes 40 million tonnes of food per year, more than any other material.

There were about 40% Brits on the ship. Common sense and business sense tells you to adjust to your customers tastes, thats why we get kettles (and not electric tea pots as i have heard them called). X-mas pudding is as fundamental to the seasonal dinner as the turkey. If the person coming up with the menu can not see that, then I don't think they are the best person to decide on the menu roll out.

The Brits make up a large share of X's passengers. We are not doing you lot a favor by coming on a US ship. We are doing X a favor and they should be ensuring that they cater to their clients desires. Anyway the point is that I am not a fan of JVS, in my opinion and it is just my opinion, I think it is time X went out and actually hunt for a new head chef that is more passionate, enthusiastic and driven about creating high quality tasty food than publishing and marketing a pretty picture book.

I would like to put a different view - when in Rome, do as the Romans do

I suspect a goodly% of the UK passengers were delighted to avoid the Xmas pudding and mince pies

If you want British food you are going to have to cruise on a British line

We had a wonderful Festive break this year with Azamara, not an Xmas pud or pie in site but a beautiful spread of goodies some of which would be a mortgage job to buy in the UK @ Xmas

how difficult is is to offer a couple of mince pies and a pud jut one day in the year? not very. But that is not the only reason. I think the menu has stagnated generally, more options have been removed over the years and I feel that maybe another person at the helm would be better. That is my feelings on the matter, if you don't agree then don't, but I am not changing my opinion.

LOL. Christmas pudding and mince pie disappointment and employing Gordon Ramsey as Celebrity's Chef Supremo. I think I've just walked into a scene from the Twilight Zone:D

It is a marketing strategy that Celebrity employ and reading the passion here it's one they are successful in at least creating debate. Seriously, to me it doesn't really matter who they have as their head of Culinary Operations as long as the food tastes good.

Phil

JVS left yesterday, others leaving today to rejoin their ships. People I've spoken to are pleased with the changes. Any change in Blu will take at least 6-7 months for a rollout since menus need to be developed, suppliers for ingredients secured worldwide and chefs trained.

Wonderful cruise experience. Will be going to MIL on Saturday and will post if new menu is in place on that ship.

I am on board Eclipse this week as well. We are finding the MDR new menus a bit lackluster. The food itself is good, but the menus aren't very interesting, if that makes sense. We find Tuscan Grille livelier.

Having a wonderful cruise, though. molecular Bar is terrific.

I would like to put a different view - when in Rome, do as the Romans do

I suspect a goodly% of the UK passengers were delighted to avoid the Xmas pudding and mince pies

If you want British food you are going to have to cruise on a British line

We had a wonderful Festive break this year with Azamara, not an Xmas pud or pie in site but a beautiful spread of goodies some of which would be a mortgage job to buy in the UK @ Xmas

Well said!! We also didn't miss the traditional stodge of British Xmas fayre. We enjoyed Fillet Mignon on the Quest on Christmas day, beats roast turkey anytime!

Its all edited to look like Ramsay swears all the time, that is just his gimmick that TV producers ask for. Actually he is pretty calm in real life, ok passionate but he doesn't consistently use 4 letter obscenities in every day conversation.

Secondly if P&O can use Marco Pierre White or Garry Rhodes, then why shouldn't Celebrity us ...A Celebrity chef?

Thirdly and I understand this is just my opinion, but as Missus fixit says you can have your opinion but yours is wrong :rolleyes: I feel JVS is ok and the menu in the MDR is better than most land restaurants, but lately all he wants to do is sell his picture book. Before that he comes across in a lot of interviews as as if it wasn't for him then Celebrity wouldn't have the food it has today and the line would have gone under.

A chef who knows and has run large covers with 3 Mitchellin stars would in my opinion be a much more qualified to plan and manage the MDR. How many Mitchelin stars does JVS have?

Hi Fixit,

Let me see if I have this straight. I shared an *opinion* and you claim it's wrong ? It's an opinion - just like yours. I've never heard of any opinion being right or wrong. What I do know, is that most of us enjoy sharing our opinions on Cruise Critic, and it's one of the many things, which makes our forums thrive.

It's truly sad that so many folks have become become obsessed with a Chef's name, their star power, "Michelin" stars, and whether he or she has a TV show... blah, blah, blah. You know what I have to say about all of that ? WHO CARES !!!! What I care about, is enjoyable cuisine and an enjoyable Dining experience. I feel that most Celebrity Guests would agree that both Chef Van Staden & Celebrity deliver on both points.

Hi Fixit,

I've never heard of any opinion being right or wrong. What I do know, is that most of us enjoy sharing our opinions on Cruise Critic, and it's one of the many things, which makes our forums thrive.

What I care about, is enjoyable cuisine and an enjoyable Dining experience. I feel that most Celebrity Guests would agree that both Chef Van Staden & Celebrity deliver on both points.

You are correct Andy, without opinions there would be no forums at all. But I always keep in the back of mind when reading any forum... Opinions are like er, well you know what they are like, because everybody has one ; -)

I would offer up that from my perspective, reading these forums, that most guests do not agree that the X dining experience regarding the food is positive. I see alot of contention, with opinions all over the place, from "loves it can't get enough" thru "well done for what it is' to 'dreadful and disappointing".

I do not see ANY consensus here at all. I expect that is the result of a number of factors, with the individual experience reflecting varied expectations and past history balanced by the variables that exist in a system where we try to group as "good" or "bad" the product from eleven ships, with some 75+ different dining locations over the whole fleet.

Sometimes it tastes better or worse because the chef on the line was having a bad day, or the tomatoes delivered that week to the ship sucked or rocked.

Individual ships offerings will no doubt reflect the technical skills of their complement of personal. Some will be stronger than others. The strength or weakness of the menu is only one element in this crucible.

I am still waiting to find out where I will be on the continuum.

Hi Fixit,

Let me see if I have this straight. I shared an *opinion* and you claim it's wrong ? It's an opinion - just like yours. I've never heard of any opinion being right or wrong. What I do know, is that most of us enjoy sharing our opinions on Cruise Critic, and it's one of the many things, which makes our forums thrive.

It's truly sad that so many folks have become become obsessed with a Chef's name, their star power, "Michelin" stars, and whether he or she has a TV show... blah, blah, blah. You know what I have to say about all of that ? WHO CARES !!!! What I care about, is enjoyable cuisine and an enjoyable Dining experience. I feel that most Celebrity Guests would agree that both Chef Van Staden & Celebrity deliver on both points.

OK first, saying your opinions are wrong, was a little tongue in cheek, I thought most people would have realized that, but gold star to you Andy for pointing out an opinion can't be right or wrong. I guess that may have been a little above some folk. Ok maybe I should just write things without the subtle humour. Now conceding on this point, (that means giving in on this point) lets move on to the next one.

Second I have not implied we shouldn't share our opinions. Quite the opposite, by sharing my opinion that I don't feel JVS is right and it is time for a change has sparked a huge reaction and counter opinions. Infact the opposition to my opinion is very highly charged. However it is not offensive and people need to realize that not everyone agrees with them all the time.

I agree it is about enjoyable cuisine and I feel the current person heading it up has stagnated. What is needed is a Willy Wonka of dining experiences. It is my view and sure some people may not agree. However I am entitled to it and to share it.

So what if I opinionated that I believe a 3 Star Chef would be suitable? Gary Rhodes. MPW and others have been brought on board to consult with other lines. What happens I get flamed for suggesting this idea. So what? I happen to think Celebrity would improve with a change at the head of the Kitchen, and I happen to think that Chef Ramsay is one of a very few world class chefs that not only knows food but also business, logistics and how people think when it comes to food. Again that is my view.

Yes it is a forum but if my opinion matches the 99.9% of other people it is ok, yet when my opinion happens to differ from the sheep, nobody likes it. The more I defend my opinion the more wound up other people get. This is not the actions of rational people that can allow and show respect for individual thought, this is the unruly reaction of a mob on a witch hunt. Its like being chased by a pack of wolves... and your the moderator.

Andy you say "is that most of us enjoy sharing our opinions on Cruise Critic" which is exactly what I have done.

Just to quote you on your other remark "I feel that most Celebrity Guests would agree that both Chef Van Staden & Celebrity deliver on both points".

You say "Most Celebrity Guests". A) Have you actually asked "most guests" and b) This statement allow for the fact some guests would dis-agree. I disagree. I do not share the sentiment. Nor do I care I may be in the minority. At least I have the courage to stand by my opinion and not follow the herd. I will not be chased by the pack and I will give as good as I get.

If everyone agreed on everything, there would not be a discussion.

I seriously doubt that! Most people outside of the UK market have no interest in Xmas pudding and mince pies. Are we complaining that you got tea kettles as a concession to British tastes!! I do find it somewhat of a double standard as we coffee drinkers are not provided with coffee making equipment.

You don't have to be British to look for Xmas pudding and mince meat at Xmas. I'd give up Turkey in a minute before I passed up on tender mince's.

From your lips to God's (or Hanrahan's) ears!

hahahah Same thing for some of the posters here....

....It's truly sad that so many folks have become become obsessed with a Chef's name, their star power, "Michelin" stars, and whether he or she has a TV show... blah, blah, blah. You know what I have to say about all of that ? WHO CARES !!!! What I care about, is enjoyable cuisine and an enjoyable Dining experience. I feel that most Celebrity Guests would agree that both Chef Van Staden & Celebrity deliver on both points.

Generally a very BIG difference between some bigmouth chef on TV show and chefs across the world with Michelin stars...Michelin stars are not awarded based on whether there is a so called reality show and whether the same people who like Kim Kardashian turn the dial to watch some 'celebrity" (no pun intended) chef screaming at someone and sending them off the TV so whatever rejection they have experienced in their own lives is somehow eased. Michelin stars have been awarded for a WAY long time before 'reality' TV shows made culinary world more accessible to mass market.

We have sailed X since early 1990s, every ship except Meridian (including Xpedition) multiple times...X used to distinguish itself stellarly in cuisine...our opinion is much less so now, although they are attempting interesting innovation and probably still are tops in the premium mass market. However our perception is that they have lowered that much higher margin they used to hold considerably.. That does not make us "disloyal" or "negative" about X. [God forbid on these boards---or the pirhana swarm will appear...hahaha] It makes us realistic and honest about portraying our assessments.

For us, after Roux, it has been a slow but steady and perceptible decline. Prices are comparatively lower, oil is higher and they have MANY more cabins to fill and lots more people to try to market to..so it is not unexpected.

Michelin stars are awarded for a reason..van Staden and co. is not delivering in our opinion, a product with any where near the same quality, consistency or distinction that used to face us each evening on the main dining room menus. Quite possible he is also being asked to try to do much more with less due to budget, oil, low fares and ships that now are huge.

I liked the traditional menus under Michel Roux-- down hill since then. BLU has been our refuge--hope it is not tweaked too much.

Not happy they removed Silk Harvest on newer S class ships for the gimmicky I pad Q-sine... but looking forward to trying the Lawn Club Grill...

Agree,

Qsine is nice but to put it even on all Millenium Class ships except Constellation (for now) makes it a bit boring.

Well, all I can say is we thought the same thing about Qsine being "gimmicky" UNTIL we ate there. We were a party of 8 and it was the most fun meal we have had in a long time. And the food was really good. I know my in-laws in their late 70's would have hated it but our group from ages late 40's to early 60's loved it. And the serving dishes were something to behold.

Well, all I can say is we thought the same thing about Qsine being "gimmicky" UNTIL we ate there. We were a party of 8 and it was the most fun meal we have had in a long time. And the food was really good. I know my in-laws in their late 70's would have hated it but our group from ages late 40's to early 60's loved it. And the serving dishes were something to behold.

We have a similar experience I think with QSine, although it took a bit more than one visit...

At first, we could not warm up to Qsine, and to be honest even now prefer Silk Harvest, with Tuscan and Murano being the top of all the X specialty venues for us...however, after our second or third visit to QSine, we kind of began to like it more than we had anticipated....the concept is very interesting and the serviceware also....

Archived