JVS and Exec Chefs Now on Eclispe

Orator

JVS and Exec Chefs from throughout the fleet are now o the Eclipse preparing for rollout of new MDR menu. The Exec Chefs are in the galley preparing the meals. I'm in Blu so have yet to experience differences, but others seem very pleased. Spoke briefly to JVS who told me that they were going to more gluten free and diabetes friendly choices. Also greater variety to lactose intolerant folks. Changes in Blu coming next.

Thanks for the update on the menus. That is cool JVS is on board with you. I had the privilege of sailing while he was on board the Silhouette last year and got to chat a bit with him.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

JVS was also on our 2/25 sailing. Very nice guy. Signed one of the new cookbooks for us. (Gorgeous book for anyone that collects) Said that they are making great changes. We ate in all the specialty restaurants and they were phenomenal! Will have to go again soon to check out the new menus!

The waiter in Murano last week (March 14th) said JVS was also on board working on the new menus and had signed copies of his cook book. Seemed odd that the waiter spent so much time hard selling the book to us...kind of turned me off.

Speaking of food, the food on Eclipse last week in all areas was excellent. Qsine is a real hoot and a great experience for our party of 8. Tuscan was far superior to our experience on Solstice 2 years ago. Murano was good but a little pretentious to us. MDR was excellent. So, for all of those who believe the food standards have been lowered it was definitely not the case last week.

Any idea when they're planning to roll out the changes in Blu?

As far as cruiselines & Celeb cuisine go, we have learned that change not always good-- BLU is great the way it is!!!

If I were on a cruise with JVS there might be a case of man over board!!

In real terms JVS is only following his brief to downgrade the food offered to passengers. Celebrity's management should hang their heads in shame.

If you don't fancy Ramsay just think what Heston Blumenthal could offer? Check out what he did with British Airways, Alderhay Children's Hospital and Little Chef, I appreciate these were experiments in a small way for the UK TV Channel 4. Heston has the magic Celebrity need.

In real terms JVS is only following his brief to downgrade the food offered to passengers. Celebrity's management should hang their heads in shame.

If you don't fancy Ramsay just think what Heston Blumenthal could offer? Check out what he did with British Airways, Alderhay Children's Hospital and Little Chef, I appreciate these were experiments in a small way for the UK TV Channel 4. Heston has the magic Celebrity need.

I have been impressed with JVS. It is amazing what Celebrity is able to produce with the constraints of their budget and number of meals that must be made in limited time (not to mention the added difficulty of being at sea). Personally I have found the MDR food to be as good my last two cruises as they were my first two and he is doing a great job with the specialty venues.

Gordon Ramsey is a media horny foul mouthed idiot

He may be edited to appear nuts, but he is one of the very few chefs I would consider world class and he knows how to run a business. There are a lot of chefs who can cook but not know or have the business acumen. Ramsey goes in and pinpoints exactly what is wrong and knows how to fix it. Not just one type of restaurant but most types.

Food on Eclipse last week was better than the food on Solstice 2 years ago so someone must be doing something right.

Personally I think celebrity should bring in Ramsay to sort out the menu.

It would have to be an "Adults Only" Cruise - as Chef Ramsay has a huge potty mouth :).

A few comments about Chef Van Staden. When I sailed on Equinox & Solstice, JVS was onboard. I'd see him around the various dining venues... morning, noon and night - interacting with Officers, Crew & Guests. I had the pleasure of speaking with Mr Van Staden, and I feel he's very dedicated, and passionate about his work. While we may not love every item on the menu, I strongly feel he cares about what's being served.

FWIW, I've been quite vocal about a number of the Summer 2010 menu changes. It's great to see that many of the menu items addressed back then, are being reintroduced on the New menus. I'm pleased that Celebrity is listening to Guest feedback - as it's in everyone's best interests. I'm wondering if the return of favorites including an improved Lobster entree, Chateaubriand, and Rack of Lamb, means the MDR budget was increased. Let's hope so.

BTW, My Cousin (who generally sails on Royal Caribbean) took my advice, and booked Celebrity, along with his DW and 4 friends. They've just returned from a week on Eclipse, and were the first group of Eclipse Guests to be offered the new menus. He mentioned the Cruise was wonderful, and said the MDR cuisine was the best they've *ever* had on a Cruise. They raved about the Rack of Lamb, and the Crab stuffed mushrooms. He also mentioned they are now converted to Celebrity, and are already planning another Celebrity Cruise. He also mentioned that he wished he took my Celebrity advice sooner.

I'm looking forward to trying the New menus when we sail on Eclipse next month.

It would have to be an "Adults Only" Cruise - as Chef Ramsay has a huge potty mouth :).

A few comments about Chef Van Staden. When I sailed on Equinox & Solstice, JVS was onboard. I'd see him around the various dining venues... morning, noon and night - interacting with Officers, Crew & Guests. I had the pleasure of speaking with Mr Van Staden, and I feel he's very dedicated, and passionate about his work. While we may not love every item on the menu, I strongly feel he cares about what's being served.

FWIW, I've been quite vocal about a number of the Summer 2010 menu changes. It's great to see that many of the menu items addressed back then, are being reintroduced on the New menus. I'm pleased that Celebrity is listening to Guest feedback - as it's in everyone's best interests. I'm wondering if the return of favorites including an improved Lobster entree, Chateaubriand, and Rack of Lamb, means the MDR budget was increased. Let's hope so.

BTW, My Cousin (who generally sails on Royal Caribbean) took my advice, and booked Celebrity, along with his DW and 4 friends. They've just returned from a week on Eclipse, and were the first group of Eclipse Guests to be offered the new menus. He mentioned the Cruise was wonderful, and said the MDR cuisine was the best they've *ever* had on a Cruise. They raved about the Rack of Lamb, and the Crab stuffed mushrooms. He also mentioned they are now converted to Celebrity, and are already planning another Celebrity Cruise. He also mentioned that he wished he took my Celebrity advice sooner.

I'm looking forward to trying the New menus when we sail on Eclipse next month.

Its all edited to look like Ramsay swears all the time, that is just his gimmick that TV producers ask for. Actually he is pretty calm in real life, ok passionate but he doesn't consistently use 4 letter obscenities in every day conversation.

Secondly if P&O can use Marco Pierre White or Garry Rhodes, then why shouldn't Celebrity us ...A Celebrity chef?

Thirdly and I understand this is just my opinion, but as Missus fixit says you can have your opinion but yours is wrong :rolleyes: I feel JVS is ok and the menu in the MDR is better than most land restaurants, but lately all he wants to do is sell his picture book. Before that he comes across in a lot of interviews as as if it wasn't for him then Celebrity wouldn't have the food it has today and the line would have gone under.

A chef who knows and has run large covers with 3 Mitchellin stars would in my opinion be a much more qualified to plan and manage the MDR. How many Mitchelin stars does JVS have?

Fixit,

I do not share your opinion I'm afraid...;)

Most 3-starred chefs do know how to run a business and a restaurant. However, they have absolutely NO idea about the vast differences regarding mass banquet dining, strict cost control, galley restrictions etc etc...

They can however be consultants, just as Michel Roux was by the way, and provide some very valuable feedback and suggestions. To actually run the operation from the head office, I'm afraid not a lot of 3 starred chefs are capable of. By the way, Gault Millau is a better guide to my taste.

Its all edited to look like Ramsay swears all the time, that is just his gimmick that TV producers ask for. Actually he is pretty calm in real life, ok passionate but he doesn't consistently use 4 letter obscenities in every day conversation.

Not the case I am afraid

Mr Ramsay has one of the worst records for bullying and demotivating staff of all London chefs and has some quite high Industrial relations bills as a result

I would not like to see someone like him involved with Celebrity, his value set is all wrong

Personally I believe the Executive Chef should be 100% working with the cruise line and not a name that flits by from time to time

Not the case I am afraid

Mr Ramsay has one of the worst records for bullying and demotivating staff of all London chefs and has some quite high Industrial relations bills as a result

I would not like to see someone like him involved with Celebrity, his value set is all wrong

Personally I believe the Executive Chef should be 100% working with the cruise line and not a name that flits by from time to time

Exactly!

I know personally some ex Ramsey staff and NONE were positive about this man's attitude. He should have stayed a football player.By the way, he is also notorious for not keeping to contracts, including with Iron Chef winners and let me tell you that not all of his ventures are successes. The food in most of his restaurants is very mediciore indeed

Not the case I am afraid

I don't think JVS is the person to fit that role. It is time he moved on.

I am still waiting for a reply as to why x-mas pudding and mince pies were not on the menu on 25 Dec last year. Come on even a high school wanna be cook would think of that. All they did was merge the MDRs breakfast with the ocean village peoples cafe and called it brunch. Was the same everyday food. Considering the cost of that cruise, I would have expected some thing different or to be added.

Celebrity needs a dynamic chef who understands tastes and what the customer wants, not to worry about selling a pretty picture book for $50. Let the marketing guys worry about that. The chief chef's role is to listen to the customer and provide tasty and innovative cuisine, within budget. I am not saying the MDR is bad, it is not, it is very good, I am suggesting there are more dynamic and modern chefs out their than mr JVS.

I liked the traditional menus under Michel Roux-- down hill since then. BLU has been our refuge--hope it is not tweaked too much.

Not happy they removed Silk Harvest on newer S class ships for the gimmicky I pad Q-sine... but looking forward to trying the Lawn Club Grill...

A chef who knows and has run large covers with 3 Mitchellin stars would in my opinion be a much more qualified to plan and manage the MDR. How many Mitchelin stars does JVS have?

Seriously? :confused:

A three Michelin starred chef would have ZERO interest in heading a venue where the food budget is about $15 per/person per/day (not for dinner, for all meals)! Also a three Michelin starred chef has a very different skill set than what is required for the banquet hall type meals served on a cruise ship. Not only would they have no interest, they likely would not do a good job and they would be prohibitively expensive.

While a three Michelin starred chef perhaps could be utilized as an occasional consultant, it is absurd to contemplate one being in charge of a mass market cruise line's culinary program.

I don't think JVS is the person to fit that role. It is time he moved on.

I am still waiting for a reply as to why x-mas pudding and mince pies were not on the menu on 25 Dec last year. Come on even a high school wanna be cook would think of that.

I seriously doubt that! Most people outside of the UK market have no interest in Xmas pudding and mince pies. Are we complaining that you got tea kettles as a concession to British tastes!! I do find it somewhat of a double standard as we coffee drinkers are not provided with coffee making equipment.

Archived