Christopher Elliott Column - Viking River Cruises

YoungDubFan

I tried to post this earlier but I made a boo boo and posted the entire column. Here is the link to Christopher Elliott's column from today.

http://www.elliott.org/blog/did-viking-offer-enough-for-my-missed-connection/

Christopher Elliott is a travel / consumer advocate and was trying to help a passenger who missed a connection that was booked via Viking and their air department.

I know there has been previous discussion about issues with flights booked via the river cruise companies. I think that this column illustrates the importance of getting all issues worked out before leaving for your trip.

I am a Christopher Elliott fan and did read the column this morning. One huge thing he always says is to have email trails, so she should have not just called about the transfer time but emailed as well. It really is awful for them. I can't recall if she said her travel insurance was through the cruise line or independent?

We had a the same thing happen to us in Frankfurt. We expressed our concerns about only having 1 hour from when the train got to the airport until we had to catch our plan, before the cruise and during the cruise. We were told that someone in Frankfurt would be there to help us. That was a joke plus everyone in that airport was nasty. To top it off I got stuck in a bathroom and couldn't get out. We ended up flying the next day only because our wonderful TA helped us book another flight, but we still payed a rebooking fee and had to spend the night. We did not receive any form of compensation, not from insurance or Uniworld. I guess 1 hour is legal but it is impossible. This however to not change the fact that we were hooked on river cruising. We have been on 2 more since and are booked on our 4th. (PS--On our 2nd cruise we were stranded in Germany for nearly an extra week because Heathrow didn't have snow plows. Our TA and our insurance company helped get us through. Thank goodness the Holiday Inn Express showed lots of American made for TV Christmas movies.)

We NEVER book airfare through any ocean or river cruise company. We like to be in control of our air travel and know that a one hour period of time to transverse any European airport is impossible, especially Frankfurt and Heathrow. We were in Frankfurt last week and had to change terminals between our two Lufthansa flights. We had to take the train, also. We had a two hour period of time and had to go through security twice even though we never left the secure area of the airport. We knew this ahead of time since we have been through Frankfurt about six times before. The security lines are long and takes lots of time since Frankfurt makes everyone empty all paper from any pocket on your person. Since we live in L.A., we sometimes travel 11 hours to Heathrow and sleep at a hotel at the airport and take the first airplane out in the a.m. to our European destination. It's worth the peace of mind.

Sheila

Shoshona2, you hit the nail on the head. In these days of changing flights and schedules, you must control your own transportation.

We always plan for a two to three hour layover in our stateside departure airport in case our flight from home to that airport is delayed. In Europe we plan on at least two hours in Munich, Frankfort, and Heathrow or Gatwick. If we are flying through Charles de Gaulle, we plan on three hours (although a week might work better sometimes.)

Using those times, we have never had a problem catching or transferring flights. We know that we might be sitting in an airport restaurant or lounge for a while, but that is better than trying to find a new flight because we didn't have enought time to transfer.

Folks using a TA or cruise line for air service should request a copy of the proposed flight itinerary before allowing it to be booked.

I was once given a one-hour or so connection on a European ocean cruise, thru Frankfurt. The cruise line insisted it was "legal", but my TA jumped up and down on their heads until they changed us to a later flight.

I think anyone who lets this happens without working to get it changed in advance is, uh, hmm, either ignorant of the consequences, or living in a dream world. I'm paranoid I guess about things like this--I'd never travel with that kind of stress.

All cruise lines and land tours offer a 1 hour connection of flights. The airlines also have just one hour connections on there web sites.

If you've done any traveling, you know it's impossable to make a 1 hour connection. Why I don't know but that's the way it is.

I always book my own air or I pay a small fee with the tour companies

to pick my own flights.

It's bad what happened but you can't blam Viking or any other company for what happened.

First agree that planning an extra day or two especially on the front end is critical if anything goes wrong. We made a one hour Frankfurt connection in October but felt like the old OJ Hertz commercial running through the airport to do so. Frankfurt is confusing at best and a logistical nightmare. Of course the bad news is that our luggage didnt make the connection. One hour is possible only if both connections are in the same terminal and you have luck with short lines. I wouldnt do it again. After all you are on vacation and suppose to be relaxing not stressing. Not everything that is legal is good for you.

I have a 1 hour connection thru Frankfurt going to Prague for my cruise this April and a 1:20 minute connection returning home thru Munich. After reading this thread I am somewhat concerned. Can anyone tell me if in Frankfurt will I have to claim luggage and go thru customs? My US flight in is on United and out of Frankfurt is Lufthansa.

Both are Lufthansa on the return trip.

Thanks

Every airline allows you to scan their flights based on departure and arrival cities. If you need to transfer it will show you available flights and times. If you're familiar with the transfer airport then you may have an idea about times to get from one gate to another. If you're not familiar then you need to go to Trip Advisor and on the airline forum, ask about transfer times. There is a lot of info available there.

Every airline allows you to scan their flights based on departure and arrival cities. If you need to transfer it will show you available flights and times. If you're familiar with the transfer airport then you may have an idea about times to get from one gate to another. If you're not familiar then you need to go to Trip Advisor and on the airline forum, ask about transfer times. There is a lot of info available there.

I agree and we also do our own air but, for those who depend on the cruise lines to plan acceptable connection times, it is a real concern.

I have a 1 hour connection thru Frankfurt going to Prague for my cruise this April and a 1:20 minute connection returning home thru Munich. After reading this thread I am somewhat concerned. Can anyone tell me if in Frankfurt will I have to claim luggage and go thru customs? My US flight in is on United and out of Frankfurt is Lufthansa.

Both are Lufthansa on the return trip.

Thanks

I would not be happy with only one hour at FRA, but if your first flight arrives on time, and lines aren't too long, you can make this.

After you get off the plane in FRA, you will have to go through immigration, and another security screening before you go to your next gate. Your bags will be checked through, and you won't see them again until PRG, where you'll pick them up and go through customs.

This is assuming you were able to get your boarding pass for your LH flight from UA. If you weren't, and you won't always be able to, you'll also have to stop at the transit desk and get a boarding pass for the FRA-PRG leg.

If you are going to miss your connection, call LH immediately and get rebooked on the next flight. Hopefully, you are arriving one day in advance of your cruise.

Concerning the article - it would be interesting to know if others had the same transfers as the couple in the article and what happened to them!

We had a Boston to Brussels flight with a stop in London and a one hr and 15 min transfer time. We arrived on time but the plane at our gate was 30 min late in leaving so we sat on the runway until the gate was free. Had 40 min to make the connection which was 20 min considering having to be at the gate 20 min before flight time and go through security.

I politely ask a BA agent for help, explained the situation, showed her our tik's and she took us to the front of a line to go through security. And of course our gate was at the far end of the terminal but made it with a few min to spare. - Bags did not make it but arrived at our ship during dinner.

Rugrats - Thanks for the info that is exactly what I was looking for. LH did tell me I would have to get seat assignment at the gate. I may see if I can get it ahead of time. I knew this was a bit risky when I booked it but I have to take 3 flights from Pittsburgh to get to Prague and was trying to eliminate long layovers. LH does have another flight (in fact several during the day) to Prague 2 hours after ours. I could also ask them to switch it to this one? I am hoping the flight may arrive a little early (I actually only have 50 minutes between flights) because it is going East.

This is the start of our 3 pre-day cruise in Prague

As long as the flights were booked together in the same ticket, even if you're switching to a non-partner airline, you can almost always check your luggage through to your final destination (excluding having to re-check it after clearing customs in some places). As long as the check-in agent can confirm from your booking details where you're headed and what flights you're on, they can print the tag to have it transferred between flights all the way. Of course, when you check in, be sure to confirm that they're being checked all the way through.

Rugrats - Thanks for the info that is exactly what I was looking for. LH did tell me I would have to get seat assignment at the gate. I may see if I can get it ahead of time. I knew this was a bit risky when I booked it but I have to take 3 flights from Pittsburgh to get to Prague and was trying to eliminate long layovers. LH does have another flight (in fact several during the day) to Prague 2 hours after ours. I could also ask them to switch it to this one? I am hoping the flight may arrive a little early (I actually only have 50 minutes between flights) because it is going East.

This is the start of our 3 pre-day cruise in Prague

UA will check your bags all the way through; just look at the tags at your departure airport to make sure PRG is listed as your final destination.

If you are in coach, you will not be able to get seat assignments for LH for this flight in advance.

LH does not have a standby policy and they are very rigid (as in no way, not going to happen) about letting you board an earlier flight. About the only way you'd be able to do this is if your flight was heavily overbooked and they want your seats, or you were willing to pay the change fee and then the difference in fare between your flight and the earlier one.

Unless your ticket is fully flexible, and most of us do not purchase those, LH does not have a way to process ticket changes at no charge.

Wendy: thanks for calling me" ignorant and/or living in a dream. "Again, I do not understand the need for people on this board to put down other people. At the time of the incident it was very stressful and not funny. The point of my post was to show that I didn't really expect any compensation nor did it stop us from doing river cruises again.

I went back to my travel documents for our trip last September as I could not remember a 1hr minimum for flight transfers. Now I'd be the first to admit that there may be different rules for different Countries but my documents stipulated a minimum of 2 hrs for transfer flights. Also our bookings were made by our TA and she stuck by the rules thus we had no rush, no missing luggage and no missed flights. 1hr looks far too short for my liking and is not something I would accept.

Any info on the airport in Dublin. We are traveling from JFK to Dublin and then to Paris (CDG) and there is less than 2 hours between flights. Same return from Paris to Dublin to JFK (with Aer Lingus). Didn't think of it as a big airport but after reading these posts, thought I would ask.

Thanks.

Any info on the airport in Dublin. We are traveling from JFK to Dublin and then to Paris (CDG) and there is less than 2 hours between flights. Same return from Paris to Dublin to JFK (with Aer Lingus). Didn't think of it as a big airport but after reading these posts, thought I would ask.

Thanks.

On your outbound flight (JFK-DUB-CDG), I believe you stay airside and will not clear customs or immigration until you arrive at CDG.

On your return flight (CDG-DUB-JFK), you will preclear US customs and immigration in Dublin, as long as your flight is leaving before 16:00.

Archived