Need advice on pre-cruise travel into SJU

LLAKER

Hi everyone...We've booked the Carnival Victory for October 14 biggrin.gif out of SJ, now I could really use some advice on the best way for us to get there confused.gif.

We're coming from Northern Manitoba Canada, with a 12 hour drive just to get to the closest international airport (Winnipeg) frown.gif. After that, here are our options:

1) book a flight from Winnipeg to SJU the day before the cruise - best case scenario departs Winnipeg at 5:00 am, stop in Toronto, stop in MIA, and arrives at SJU at 9:00 pm which would leave us pretty exhausted (and there doesn't look to be too much time for relaxing on this itinerary!), OR

2) book a flight from Winnipeg to Orlando, Miami or FLL the day before the cruise and then fly to SJU the morning of the cruise, which would be much more relaxing, but I have major worries about flying in the morning of the cruise (although it would be from Florida direct to SJU).

Both options cost about the same, and we're planning on spending some time sightseeing in San Juan post cruise. I'm leaning towards option 2, but I'd really like to hear from someone that has been there. Because we have the 12 hour drive and hotel room in Winnipeg, I didn't really want to spend 2 more nights in hotels pre-cruise (only so many vacation days, and need to try to keep costs down as much as possible). Thanks in advance biggrin.gif

Hi everyone...We've booked the Carnival Victory for October 14 biggrin.gif out of SJ, now I could really use some advice on the best way for us to get there confused.gif.

We're coming from Northern Manitoba Canada, with a 12 hour drive just to get to the closest international airport (Winnipeg) frown.gif. After that, here are our options:

1) book a flight from Winnipeg to SJU the day before the cruise - best case scenario departs Winnipeg at 5:00 am, stop in Toronto, stop in MIA, and arrives at SJU at 9:00 pm which would leave us pretty exhausted (and there doesn't look to be too much time for relaxing on this itinerary!), OR

2) book a flight from Winnipeg to Orlando, Miami or FLL the day before the cruise and then fly to SJU the morning of the cruise, which would be much more relaxing, but I have major worries about flying in the morning of the cruise (although it would be from Florida direct to SJU).

Both options cost about the same, and we're planning on spending some time sightseeing in San Juan post cruise. I'm leaning towards option 2, but I'd really like to hear from someone that has been there. Because we have the 12 hour drive and hotel room in Winnipeg, I didn't really want to spend 2 more nights in hotels pre-cruise (only so many vacation days, and need to try to keep costs down as much as possible). Thanks in advance biggrin.gif

I'm a little confused; it looks like either way you only have one additional night in a hotel (on top of the night in Winnipeg). With option 1, you're staying in a hotel in San Juan the night before the cruise. With option 2, you're staying in a hotel in Florida the night before the cruise.

Personally, I'd opt for #1. Yes, it's one more flight segment that day, but if something goes wrong you still have the next day to get there. If something goes wrong the day of, it's a much tighter squeeze to try to get re-accommodated on alternate flights.

I'm not the kind of kind to recommend flying in the day of the cruise, but in this case I'm going to do that. Why?

1. A double connection on the day before the flight has a pretty good chance of missing one of the connection, and then you end up arriving the day of the cruise anyway.

2. A double connection has a good change of lost luggage. Yikes.

3. Your two flights through Florida have a much lower chance of missed connections or lost luggage.

4. And most importantly, the first stop of Carnival Victory is St. Thomas. It is super easy and cheap to get from SJU to STT. So if something fails and you miss the ship in San Juan, recovering to catch at the next port is quite doable.

Hi everyone...We've booked the Carnival Victory for October 14 :D out of SJ, now I could really use some advice on the best way for us to get there :confused:.

We're coming from Northern Manitoba Canada, with a 12 hour drive just to get to the closest international airport (Winnipeg) :(. After that, here are our options:

Both options cost about the same, and we're planning on spending some time sightseeing in San Juan post cruise. I'm leaning towards option 2, but I'd really like to hear from someone that has been there. Because we have the 12 hour drive and hotel room in Winnipeg, I didn't really want to spend 2 more nights in hotels pre-cruise (only so many vacation days, and need to try to keep costs down as much as possible). Thanks in advance :D

Wow, what an exhausting trip. I found it tiresome just reading about it, and you're leaving all those polar bears in the height of the season to fend for themselves ;)

You've laid out the pros and cons pretty well, so the choice is, of course, up to you. Personally, I would get it over with in one long gruelling day, so I could wake-up on cruise day and be in San Juan. As far as hotels, Priceline seems to be the way to go in SJU; look at the San Juan port forum for more information about hotel deals there.

I'm a little confused; it looks like either way you only have one additional night in a hotel (on top of the night in Winnipeg). With option 1, you're staying in a hotel in San Juan the night before the cruise. With option 2, you're staying in a hotel in Florida the night before the cruise.

Sorry for the confusion, I just meant that we didn't want another night in a hotel for anyone who might say "why not just fly in 2 days before the cruise to make it easier?"

Wow, what an exhausting trip. I found it tiresome just reading about it, and you're leaving all those polar bears in the height of the season to fend for themselves ;).

That's funny!

Thanks for everyone's advice :D ... really appreciate having your opinions.

Take the double connect and get into SJU the night before the cruise.

I don't think that there is a statistically significant reason to worry about bags. As long as you aren't pushing the minimum connection time, I'd be comfortable with this. The big reason for the double is that you have the maximum amount of time between arriving in SJU and cruise departure. If something does go wrong on the way down, you have more time to fix things. Not so if you overnight in SoFla and then fly to SJU in the morning.

Get it over with at once.

Sounds like you are flying Westjet. We flew Toronto - MIA -SJU in Feb. Westjet to MIA and AA to SJU,because we flew in on a Thursday and WJ only goes to SJU on Sat / Sun. . We had a 3 hr layover in MIA where AA left our luggage, meaning we had to wait until 10 am the next day to get it. Doesn't really matter since my point is the risk of luggage not getting to SJU when you do because of the airline or the TSA. Other Canadians also on our Westjet flight from Toronto had the same thing happen.

My choice, reluctantly is Opt #2. There is some risk on the day of departure plus you don't get to enjoy San Juan which is a real shame, but that would be my choice.

I do have an acquaintance that overnighted in Fort Lauderdale before flying in the day of departure in San Juan this past July. It worked for him. I would use the airport and airline with the most flights to SJU on day two. Hotels at FLL or MIA will probably be cheaper than SJU as well.

On a personal note, before our trip in Jan 2011 there was been some trash talking about MIA, we have used it twice now and found it to be easy and convenient. The concourse that AC uses is new and beautiful, great services and very little congestion. You haven't mentioned any preference so that is just an unsolicited comment.

Have a great trip.

I took note of your cruise date. October is in the middle of hurricane season so I'd do everything possible to get to SJU as quickly as possible.

Do make sure that your connections are considerable. I'm sure you know you will go through US Customs/Immigration as well as Canadian in Toronto where timing is critical. You will not have to repeat the process in MIA.

Your travel will be tiring no matter which you choose but you could sleep in in SJU and board at a more relaxed pace.

If you choose option 2 you will have to go through TSA twice. Once in Canada and again at one of the Florida airports you have mentioned. For that reason alone I'd skip the mainland overnight and fly south.

Good luck!

I took note of your cruise date. October is in the middle of hurricane season so I'd do everything possible to get to SJU as quickly as possible.

Do make sure that your connections are considerable. I'm sure you know you will go through US Customs/Immigration as well as Canadian in Toronto where timing is critical. You will not have to repeat the process in MIA.

Your travel will be tiring no matter which you choose but you could sleep in in SJU and board at a more relaxed pace.

If you choose option 2 you will have to go through TSA twice. Once in Canada and again at one of the Florida airports you have mentioned. For that reason alone I'd skip the mainland overnight and fly south.

Good luck!

I believe October is at the tail-end, not in the middle of, hurricane season,but the points are still valid.

We fly from Calgary and sometimes Vancouver or Seattle. When going on a cruise, we always plan to arrive at least one day prior to the cruise. Often more, because we usually add a land trip before, after, or both. We were there in 2010 and really enjoyed Puerto Rico. We much prefer it to FLL or MIA as a departure point. Enjoy your cruise.

I'm not the kind of kind to recommend flying in the day of the cruise, but in this case I'm going to do that. Why?

1. A double connection on the day before the flight has a pretty good chance of missing one of the connection, and then you end up arriving the day of the cruise anyway.

2. A double connection has a good change of lost luggage. Yikes.

3. Your two flights through Florida have a much lower chance of missed connections or lost luggage.

4. And most importantly, the first stop of Carnival Victory is St. Thomas. It is super easy and cheap to get from SJU to STT. So if something fails and you miss the ship in San Juan, recovering to catch at the next port is quite doable.

I agree, and worst case scenerio you don't get out of Orlando to San Juan, you can always get a flight from Orlando to St. Thomas. Another option would be if you really have to, rent a car and drive to Fort Lauderdale or Miami and take a flight from there.

I would do option 2.

Option 1, A 12 hour drive to the airport, overnight, then flying all day getting in to your hotel in San Juan at midnight (providing there are NO delays), then getting up the next morning for the cruise will be exhausting.

Option 2, A 12 hour drive to the airport, overnight stay, then fly to Orlando, overnight stay, then fly to San Juan sounds very doable. I do suggest the Hyatt Regency Orlando Airport is right inside the Orlando International Airport. You'll wake up refreshed day of cruise and take a short flight to San Juan. The hotel floors overlook the TSA security lines.

Good luck, what an adventure, sounds exciting! I cannot imagine being so far away from an international airport. Please do a trip report when you return, would love to hear all about it!

Can't you take Bearskin or one of the other small carriers from an airport closer to you to YWG? (By the way, I love the YWG airport--so easy!)

At any rate, too many possibilities of error, I'd definitely fly in the night before. It will be a long day but far less stressful than flying in the day of. Keep in mind that the Florida airports are not immune to significant delays when the entire system gets backed up due to storms.

My vote:

Option 1: Once traveling, a grueling travel trip is best. Get it all over with and then sleep in peace and know that you've made it to your destination.

Us crazy Canuks, I have driven to Florida many times. Best time was 23 hours from Montreal to Daytona with two kids:cool:.

We had a great trip when we traveled on the Victory.

We have also done numerous land vacations to Puerto Rico and love it there.

One way or another, enjoy your cruise!

Thanks everyone for all your advice...I'll let you all know how it turns out!

Can't you take Bearskin or one of the other small carriers from an airport closer to you to YWG? (By the way, I love the YWG airport--so easy!).

We have a scheduled flight from here 3 days a week, but being that we're so far away from modern convienences (Wal-Mart, Costco...) we prefer to drive to Winnipeg so that we can stock up on groceries and supplies on the way home - you wouldn't believe the cost of toilet paper up here!

Us crazy Canuks, I have driven to Florida many times. Best time was 23 hours from Montreal to Daytona with two kids:cool:.

:eek: WOW!

Archived