When to go

anxioustoleave

Yes, and the answer is the same. The rainy season generally mimics North America, with the wettest periods being Nov-Mar. However, the wet season isn't as wet as North America, the rain isn't really inconvinent very often, and it is much warmer. In fact, there may not even be the word "cold" in the Hawaiin language ;).

Most people don't put weather into their Hawaiin travel plans, because the weather VERY rarely affects their activities. We are leaving for two weeks (land, not cruise) in a couple of days. No umbrella. No rain coat. No jacket. Just shorts and leightweight tops.

Our last two cruises have been the Hawaiian one out of Princess, both leaving on 12/22 five years apart. Mostly had temperatures in the high 70s,a little rain here and there. But usually the rain doesn't last a long time. The humidity was pretty high (at least it seemed for my family) in Hilo the last time.

Have also been there for land trips in Feb./March (lots of rain -- in fact, we had a gale on Kauai) and in November (lots of rain).

Most likely the weather will be better there most of the time than where you live.

I just want to mention is that the weather this February and early March was not typical. It's not common to have tornadoes and hail at the beaches, although it is not uncommon to have snow on the summits, especially Mauna Kea. We've visited in February and March and generally had lovely weather with the usual rain from time to time and warm temperatures. Keep in mind that it rains year round in Hawaii because it is tropical.

Part of how you should choose depends on what you want to see and how hot you like it. While it's all relative, there is a world of difference between November or March with high 70s/low 80s in the daytime, 60s in the evening, and July or August with temperatures easily in the high 80s and even 90s, evenings in the 70s, and sometimes cloying humidity (when the trade winds are down). If you want to see humpback whales, you should visit between late December and early April. If you want the warmest ocean waters, then fall is your best bet. If you want to see the waterfalls at their fullest and have bountiful flowers, etc., then May through June is excellent. It really depends on your goals and preferences.

beachchick

The last 3 years, I have gone the first week of Feb. on a cruise, plus 2 weeks independent in 2-12. I have also traveled in January and Nov.

Never have I encountered more than slight light rain of short duration. None the last two trips.

Budget Queen, read so many of your helpful posts on the Alaskan boards last year prior to our trip in August. I'm wondering what cruise line you used when doing your Hawaii cruise and why you chose it? Also did you do the touring on your own or with independent guides? We've never been to the islands and are considering going in November. My hubby wants to do a 14 day from California but I'm leaning toward the one from the island mostly because of the overnights... your thoughts please... thanks Diane

Budget Queen, read so many of your helpful posts on the Alaskan boards last year prior to our trip in August. I'm wondering what cruise line you used when doing your Hawaii cruise and why you chose it? Also did you do the touring on your own or with independent guides? We've never been to the islands and are considering going in November. My hubby wants to do a 14 day from California but I'm leaning toward the one from the island mostly because of the overnights... your thoughts please... thanks Diane

I have only done the round trip Honolulu on NCL. I go every year. I have a rental car in each port, so much of Hawaii, is natural drive up beauty. Simple touring on your own, if you choose to. For, me, Hawaii is my priority, not doing sea days on a ship- I'm bored silly. :) NCL has a superb itinerary, I also add a week before and after.

Archived