Diamond members..are you aware of this policy?

I agree with you.

6 The Exclusive Nightly Diamond Event for Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club members will take place approximately 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm in a dedicated lounge and will feature complimentary wine, champagne (sparkling wine) and fountain drinks, and a 'happy hour' discount of 25% off beer and drinks with liquor. Drinks will need to be consumed within the venue during the hours of the event and can not be removed from the venue.

15 The Concierge Lounge is designated as a smoke-free area. We respectfully request that guests observe a Smart Casual dress code when visiting the Lounge (no swim or pool attire is allowed, footwear is required at all times). Guests 21 years and younger must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times. Guests and friends of Suite guests/Diamond Plus members are not allowed into the Concierge lounge due to limited space.

This is what I READ and I had the verbal confirmation from the C&A rep that the same experience as we had with Celebrity would be extended to Diamond. We went to the diamond lounge, not concierge lounge. the member benefits clearly state no guests IN THE CONCIERGE (DIAMOND PLUS) LOUNGE.

I receieved no notice that explained that my roommate was not allowed.

And I reported that I was treated rudely, not that I was mad because of enforcement of previously unknown rules.

Please understand the difference. I respect the rules and next month we will not attempt to breach the hallowed doors of the righteous.

We had wine packages before, and have them again. While we enjoyed The Dungeon where the Diamond nightly event was held, I'm sure we will have a better time with friends I've met on our roll call, members of a newly formed group, the Steerage Society, meeting in the Champaigne Bar on the Mariner TA next month.They seem like a much warmer and accepting group then I've experienced on this thread.

6 The Exclusive Nightly Diamond Event for Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club members will take place approximately 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm in a dedicated lounge and will feature complimentary wine, champagne (sparkling wine) and fountain drinks, and a 'happy hour' discount of 25% off beer and drinks with liquor. Drinks will need to be consumed within the venue during the hours of the event and can not be removed from the venue.

15 The Concierge Lounge is designated as a smoke-free area. We respectfully request that guests observe a Smart Casual dress code when visiting the Lounge (no swim or pool attire is allowed, footwear is required at all times). Guests 21 years and younger must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times. Guests and friends of Suite guests/Diamond Plus members are not allowed into the Concierge lounge due to limited space.

I agree that it really isn't clear. They make a point of saying no guests in the Concierge Lounge but don't make that same distinction for the Diamond Lounge. Because of this we contacted RCCL and the response (in writing) we received from was to check once we got on board. If there were not too many Diamond members on board, they MIGHT be able to accommodate a travel partner. So it isn't really accurate to say that guests are never allowed. The staff does have the authority to make exceptions. All you can do is ask. But, because of the number of Diamond members, I think on most sailings the answer will be "no".

This just happened to me on a cruise too. My friends are Diamond members and they have been able to take others that shared their cabin in the past. On this cruise I guess Royal held to the policy and unfortunately it caused a lot of problems for all involved. I understand the policy but they should stick to it at all times instead of allowing it at times and not allowing it at other times. Because my friends thought I would be able to join them we expected it and it is part of the reason I even agreed to go on the cruise and share the cabin. By allowing it at times and then not allowing it at times it causes a lot of bad feelings and confusion. My friends felt bad for me and I felt bad that they felt bad.

Royal needs to stick with the policy or change it where if someone shares a cabin that person can join in the Diamond events.

This just happened to me on a cruise too. My friends are Diamond members and they have been able to take others that shared their cabin in the past. On this cruise I guess Royal held to the policy and unfortunately it caused a lot of problems for all involved. I understand the policy but they should stick to it at all times instead of allowing it at times and not allowing it at other times. Because my friends thought I would be able to join them we expected it and it is part of the reason I even agreed to go on the cruise and share the cabin. By allowing it at times and then not allowing it at times it causes a lot of bad feelings and confusion. My friends felt bad for me and I felt bad that they felt bad.

Royal needs to stick with the policy or change it where if someone shares a cabin that person can join in the Diamond events.

Again, I understand your feelings but you have to understand Royal's viewpoint. In the past, Diamond members would "loan" other people in their cabins (or sometimes even friends not in their cabins) the special keys for the lounges. I am sure that Royal opened their eyes to this problem and were forced to do something about it. Now, not only do they have the key (which is your seapass card rather than a dedicated lounge key as in the past) but they also check you against a list on the first night or when they see a new face.

This was your very first RCCL cruise, according to your signature, and your friends should not have made you a promise they could not be sure to keep. There is no reason for you to feel bad but I do think that your irritation with the person who was in charge of the lounge or with Royal is unjustified. I also feel that it is a shame that your decision to take a cruise with your friends resided so much on having access to the Diamond Lounge rather than having the opportunity to sail on a ship like the Allure with your friends.

Yes, I was aware of this policy distinction... I agree though that it's awkward and unfortunate that it played out like that.

On the Oasis last November, my then girlfirend / now fiancee was allowed in to the DL with me (she's not diamond)... but we were not treated well AT ALL by the Diamond Concierge... she was downright chilly towards us. Thankfully the servers were warm and wonderful towards us so the experience was still nice. I guess she didn't want her in but also badly wanted to avoid the hassel / awkwardness of telling someone that their significant other cannot accompany them.

Thankfully this won't be an issue for us in the future.

This woman is always cold! Dealt with her several times on several issues over a few trips....She is just that way.

Yes, they carded both of us...which was fine with me, because in the past I have always thought that it was their policy to allow it with stateroom companions so that we don't have to be split up. They had 7 other people they turned away. My friend will probably not cruise with them again, she was so embarrassed. They said NO exceptions to the rule. Too bad...they will lose business from me over this....I will always go with Celebrity when I cruise with anyone other than my husband.

It has never been their policy to allow it. Some concierges did not apply the policy. Lately though they have been. Turning seven people away tells me that they are doing the right thing by turning people away. That would be a significant number of non members in the lounge and if they allowed them in and there are probably more non members that would want to get in if they found out those seven were allowed in to the lounge.

As far as losing business, if you go with Celebrity they are not losing business.

Again, I understand your feelings but you have to understand Royal's viewpoint. In the past, Diamond members would "loan" other people in their cabins (or sometimes even friends not in their cabins) the special keys for the lounges. I am sure that Royal opened their eyes to this problem and were forced to do something about it. Now, not only do they have the key (which is your seapass card rather than a dedicated lounge key as in the past) but they also check you against a list on the first night or when they see a new face.

This was your very first RCCL cruise, according to your signature, and your friends should not have made you a promise they could not be sure to keep. There is no reason for you to feel bad but I do think that your irritation with the person who was in charge of the lounge or with Royal is unjustified. I also feel that it is a shame that your decision to take a cruise with your friends resided so much on having access to the Diamond Lounge rather than having the opportunity to sail on a ship like the Allure with your friends.

My decision to sail on the Allure with my friends had nothing to do with them being Diamond members. I would have gone anyway. I was just responding to the OP to say I had the same issue. As I said, I understand the rules and have no problem obiding by them. I was surprised when my friends said I could actually join them.

My decision to sail on the Allure with my friends had nothing to do with them being Diamond members. I would have gone anyway. I was just responding to the OP to say I had the same issue. As I said, I understand the rules and have no problem obiding by them. I was surprised when my friends said I could actually join them.

I apologize if I interpreted your comment wrong, but the statement that you made "it is part of the reason I even agreed to go on the cruise and share the cabin." made it sound like it had a lot to do with being able to go to the diamond lounge.

It truly does vary from ship to ship, depending on the number of Diamond members onboard. On our cruise on the Monarch last March, they gave the number out of Diamond/Diamond + onboard and it was tiny...something like a dozen of each. They were allowing some from same cabin to attend. We will be on the Navigator in June and only one of our party is NOT Diamond. We know that we will probably not be attending as we wouldn't leave our friend and go to the lounge.

It has never been their policy to allow it. Some concierges did not apply the policy.

Charles,

Please see my previous post quoting member benefits as posted on RCCL website.

There is a clear distinction between Diamond lounge and Concierge lounge.

The website does NOT clearly state that someone sharing a cabin can not come in to Diamond lounge.

As another poster stated, she has in writing from RCCL that it is discretionary and at the discretion of the staff of each cruise.

As with so many hot button topics here on CC, it would clearly be to everyone's advantage if rules were always clearly stated, and upheld uniformly on every cruise.

Charles,

The website does NOT clearly state that someone sharing a cabin can not come in to Diamond lounge.

As another poster stated, she has in writing from RCCL that it is discretionary and at the discretion of the staff of each cruise.

As with so many hot button topics here on CC, it would clearly be to everyone's advantage if rules were always clearly stated, and upheld uniformly on every cruise.

As per your previous post the policy is:

It does not say "Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club members and their guests/cabin-mates, etc". I'm sorry, but the official policy is quite clear. If individual Diamond Concierges choose not to follow this policy strictly that's up to them.

Every time we check into our cabin there are various welcome letters and printed instructions that clearly state what the criteria are for that ship and cruise.

Perhaps the actual criteria for each ship varies and may in fact be changed week to week depending on the makeup of the passengers.

Obviously some people don't bother to read the literature left in their cabin or assume it doesn't apply to them. ie, "Please don't wear shorts in the nightly Diamond event. don't remove drinks, etc.":rolleyes: Rather..."it's my vacation and I'll do as I please."

As per your previous post the policy is:

It does not say "Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club members and their guests/cabin-mates, etc". I'm sorry, but the official policy is quite clear. If individual Diamond Concierges choose not to follow this policy strictly that's up to them.

Agree. "Exclusive Nightly Diamond Event" doesn't mean that all other pax on board can attend. I think the word "Exclusive" indicates that.

The unfortunate part, as we have experienced, is that the inconsistency that happens on all ships throughout the fleet not only in this area, but in other areas as well, is mind boggling and should be addressed by management.

Just remember when you board.........that what you experienced on one ship doesn't mean you will experience it on another ship.

Charles,

I do think the policy is pretty clear, it talks about C&A members and not of C&A members and their family, friends and who else.

While I agree, it would be nice if the rule would be uniformly enforced, but even then someone would slip through, come here, brag about it and tell everyone how it´s OK to bring someone.:rolleyes:

I know the following will be a shocking and new and never happening concept:rolleyes: but how about this. People could simply follow the rules and not even enforcement would be needed:eek:. If people are invited - even against the stated rules - to bring a non eligible cabin mate, why not just quietly say "Thank you", enjoy the added service and keep it to yourself instead of getting here first thing to brag about how you´ve been able to get around the rule.:cool:

But no many people on here just like to show how superior they are as they got away with something which is against the rules and how they feel entitled to this and thus making other feel being that entitled as well.

As for the Celebrity argument that keeps popping up. Folks it´s a different cruise line. Yes they are both owned by RCCL, but they are still different lines. Carnival, Cunard, Seaborn, Costa, Princess, HAL, ...... are also owned by the same company. Does anybody expect the same policies on Carnival as on Cunard, or the same on Costa and Seaborn?

Plus by your post you really wouldn't fit in with a large number in the D.L. and C.L. Complete opposite of the " gimmmes" that lurk around and moan about everything.....even the freebies....;):D

Oh so very true..............you can almost spot the D+ lounge lizard gimmies they have that smug "I am entitled" look about them.

Take it or leave it The D and D+ program is very cool. I think the best in the crusie industry.

Do not blame RCI if YOU do not read the rules of the program.

In every CL and Dl welcome letter I have ever received, it ALWAYS reminds the reader that the lounge is for D or D+ and suite guests only.

Now I have taken non member or non suite guest into the lounge...got busted at times and allowed to other times.

I know the rules and do not cry foul when forced to observe them.

this seems pretty cut and dry to me................

Please Note: On Freedom-class ships, Diamond-level and above Crown & Anchor Society members have exclusive access to similar amenities in The Diamond Club. Due to the size of the Lounge, we regret that we cannot honor requests for entrance to friends or relatives of eligible guests.

Heres' the link:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details/print.do?faqId=2675&faqSubjectId=320&faqSubjectName=Staterooms&pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqType=faq

I'm a D+ and am bringing a first time Royal cruiser on board with me. I have no intentions of telling him anything about the Consierge lounge as I will not be rude and leave him to be on his own while I partake.

Really not a big deal.

Hey Karen......dont forget the Bring a Friend promotion and get some OBC!:D

Just remember when you board.........that what you experienced on one ship doesn't mean you will experience it on another ship.

So true - we've even had different rules/benefits on the same ship from sailing to sailing.

Keeps guest wondering.

M

I'm thinking of changing to HAL to go to Alaska- I've been on HAL one time and they told me that anyone in my cabin will be included in the one star class that has early board and champaign brunch on the embarkment. Also, their will be a special dinner that invites my cabin as well.

I understand RCCL is crowded with too many people, so they should limit to one addit. person from your cabin to join you each night.

So much for being "Loyal to Royal!!":(

I'm thinking of changing to HAL to go to Alaska- I've been on HAL one time and they told me that anyone in my cabin will be included in the one star class that has early board and champaign brunch on the embarkment. Also, their will be a special dinner that invites my cabin as well.

I understand RCCL is crowded with too many people, so they should limit to one addit. person from your cabin to join you each night.

So much for being "Loyal to Royal!!":(

I think Holland is a much better choice for Alaska than RCCL. But not because of the HAL loyalty program. The HAL loyalty program is among the worst. I am a two star and get almost nothing. That brunch is no big deal. Champagne, LOL. A glass of cheap stuff. And never have recieved any special dinner invites. I don't think there is such. There is a lunch where they give out tiles. Big whoopee. Royal Caribbean and Celebrity loyalty programs give much more. For Alaska though itinerary wins over perks.

I really don't get why people want to complain about gifts the cruise line is giving us for being "loyal". They don't have to give anything but good service and amenities. The other person in the cabin has done nothing to earn any perks so I think Royals policy is fair. And not using your Diamond Lounge perk is not the end of the world. I have often skipped it. Still had a great cruise.

Just off the Oasis(first time as Diamond) and thought the Diamond Lounge was a very nice perk. Appreciated the free drinks, wine, soda, specialty coffee, and a nice continental breakfast.

Our kids(17 & 14) diamond members as well would meet us in the Diamond Lounge as soon as they were ready for dinner and we would head to the dining room for dinner. The DL was never crowded and at times we were the only ones in the DL. Perhaps, this is why our kids were never asked to leave.

We appreciate the Diamond perks for adults but in all honesty there are very few Diamond perks for children. Discount on a soda or water pakage would be nice.

Just off the Oasis(first time as Diamond) and thought the Diamond Lounge was a very nice perk. Appreciated the free drinks, wine, soda, specialty coffee, and a nice continental breakfast.

Our kids(17 & 14) diamond members as well would meet us in the Diamond Lounge as soon as they were ready for dinner and we would head to the dining room for dinner. The DL was never crowded and at times we were the only ones in the DL. Perhaps, this is why our kids were never asked to leave.

We appreciate the Diamond perks for adults but in all honesty there are very few Diamond perks for children. Discount on a soda or water pakage would be nice.

There are no special perks in the DL for children under the age of 18 because children are really not allowed in the DL.........just the CL.

There are no special perks in the DL for children under the age of 18 because children are really not allowed in the DL.........just the CL.

What I meant was the kids Diamond Coupon booklet that they give you is pretty boring for kids. Could use a little updating.

Archived