This Wiil Be Our Last Time On Oceania Air

Polecat

Were you presented with the flight details before you accepted & paid the deviation fee??

Of course they were, if they already paid the extra charges to the Airline.

It is astonishing to me how people will shell out money without understanding the process. :rolleyes:

Of course they were, if they already paid the extra charges to the Airline.

Some TA's are not as good as mine ;)

They may not have explained the process of how Oceania works or maybe they are not sure either :rolleyes:

If you are flying from a smaller town or city, Oceania Air can be a GREAT money saver. We paid just $100 extra to fly from a smaller airport on a cruise ticket that included flights into Barcelona and out of Rome.

We shopped first for flights, then talked to our TA about options while she was on the line with Oceania. We didn't think we had a prayer of getting our first choice flights even with deviation because the advertised cost was double the Oceania air-credit. Oceania agreed on the routing with a deviation fee which we needed anyway to fly into Barcelona earlier than the cruise departure. It was an amazing deal coming from a rural area!! We were able to choose good seats on the transatlantic with Air France/ Delta and it also makes the trip insurance a bit easier when the air/cruise is a single purchase.

Split-ticket itineraries are very high priced from smaller markets.

We decided to book our own travel as we are going on to UK to visit family. Was not extremely excited about the air credit we got but told the air credit was the same irregardless of where you were flying from. So we are flying from Vancouver to Barcelona and getting same credit as someone flying from NY or eastern seaboard.

As for seat assignments, previously I was told that Oceania don't do seat assignments. The first thing we do when we get confirmation of flights is to call the airline(s) to get our preferred seat assignments, frequent flyer numbers on file etc. and ensure our flights are in order. Once, although our documentation form O appeared correct, when we called the airlines they had my husband & I flying on different days, so always good idea to check.

As for seat assignments, previously I was told that Oceania don't do seat assignments. The first thing we do when we get confirmation of flights is to call the airline(s) to get our preferred seat assignments, frequent flyer numbers on file etc. and ensure our flights are in order. Once, although our documentation form O appeared correct, when we called the airlines they had my husband & I flying on different days, so always good idea to check.

I usually recall the booking on virtuallythere or the airline's site themselves to verify. I find virtuallythere convenient as it will somehow also know about a hotel booking you could have made personally from a different site but related to the trip. Almost as surprising as 'all-knowing' facebook.

My main reason for posting though Mother Mucker is because I see you are from Vancouver too. I *assume* that O is putting you on A/C (I can't bring myself to say their name) or Lufthansa?

I have never been able to change the seats myself with A/C. For our upcoming trip I have not even tried to call though their website says I can't change them. One time I did phone and after a brief unproductive call with a customer 'service' rep (i could not request the change because I had not bought the flights) I had my T/A change the seats. The trouble with that is it one more step away from hands-on.

So it seems you are more successful with this. Does it make a difference to the class of ticket that O has given you (i.e. Q) or have you simply called and they have changed the seats for you no charge (some time back they once told me that if I could do on-line whatever i was calling about they would charge $25. That was just after I said 'hello')

I am very interested to learn how you have done this with them.

thanks

I'm in the TO area, and we have deviation flights booked by our TA, on Lufthansa and AC for our Sept cruise. Seats were assigned at the time O booked them, WAY at the back of the plane(2nd last row for AC), and on Lufthansa, in the centre section!

I called L and got them changed quickly, then sat the required 45 mins on hold listening to that god-awful music of AC's, and got them changed too. I was able to get the seats I had wanted for both.

I have a post-it note taped to my computer, with the booking references #s for Lufthansa and AC, and check them every once in a while, to make sure nothing has changed!

I also gave AC our Aeroplan #s, the TA was able to them to Lufthansa, but not AC. We did get Aeroplan miles for our L flight, booked by O, for our last cruise.

(Also got Delta miles for the O booked flight home)

That is where OUR seats on on A/C too - 2nd to last row !!

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a go with a positive mind-set when I have sufficient time. (We found calls to Lufthansa fast and friendly too but not called recently - good to know they are still on top of things)

We just called AC had the seats changed I think I added the Aeroplan number on AC through "manage my trip"

We got the points however I did it ;)

when checking in online we managed to upgrade to Exec class for a fee YEAH!!!

Was worth the extra $$ for us

Lyn

We tried to upgrade our seats just last night. We are on United from DC to Barcelona. Because of the class of ticket O books, it would have cost us 25,000 in miles plus a little over $5,000 per person each way. We settled for economy plus, which we paid $80-something per seat. We had no problems changing our seats to ones we felt were better. BUT, I will be keeping a close eye on our reservations!!

We thought that we were very clever when we did this on a land tour with a different organization. Smal price to pay for our preferred seats and more room on a long flight to China on United. Then less than 2 weeks out, our flight was changed to Air Canada. Goodbye $80, goodbye nice seats. Eventually we got compensation but couldn't get the flight changed back. The fine print does say they reserve the right to . . ..

Be sure the final ticketing has been done by Oceania before you pay for extras. If another airline has a great sale, you could be switched.

Mary

We thought that we were very clever when we did this on a land tour with a different organization. Smal price to pay for our preferred seats and more room on a long flight to China on United. Then less than 2 weeks out, our flight was changed to Air Canada. Goodbye $80, goodbye nice seats. Eventually we got compensation but couldn't get the flight changed back. The fine print does say they reserve the right to . . ..

Be sure the final ticketing has been done by Oceania before you pay for extras. If another airline has a great sale, you could be switched.

Mary

As I understand the process, if this change took place at two weeks out, it was the AIRLINE that made it, not the tour company.

Oceania, like most of their competitors, tickets at 30 days out, unless the client has requested a deviation that specifically requires earlier ticketing.

In any case, once your Oceania booking is paid in full, passengers who HAVE PAID THE DEVIATION FEE, may request that their airline arrangements be ticketed at any time.

After reading this post, I decided to ask for an air deviation. We were not going to do so, as we booked our trip at a time when Oceania was offering to fly in a day early and include a hotel in the price. As our plans were to just fly in the day early, we figured we would save the $125 each and not do a deviation. Then, I realized that there is only one nonstop a day from Miami to Barcelona and one a day from Lisbon to Miami - on different airlines with different alliances, which probably would not be the assignment, as nonstops usually are more expensive. Looking into booking it on our own cost far more than an air credit as it was different airlines. I had the travel agent check into it and for an extra $100, plus the deviation fee, we could have the luxury of nonstops and could turn in the hotel for a $500 credit and wind up a little ahead, especially when we used Starwood Points to get the Baracelona Meridien. If we had not done so, by the time we got our air assignments from Oceania, the nonstops probably would be sold out, if we decided to do the deviation then. The Miami to Baracelona flight even has the opportunity to upgrade with points to business class, but can be done after the ticket is issued, so I do not have high hopes of those being available in several months, after the final payment is made.

Anyway, my point is that an air deviation can be very reasonable in price and give you the piece of mind that you get when picking your own flights. The website Kayak.com has extensive flight listings or you can ask your travel agent.

The Miami to Baracelona flight even has the opportunity to upgrade with points to business class, but can be done after the ticket is issued, so I do not have high hopes of those being available in several months, after the final payment is made.

as posted elsewhere

Once you are paid in full you can request to have O ticket you at that point

another good site for checking flights

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

as posted elsewhere

Actually, you make a good point. The final payment to Oceania is not due for several months. I guess I could pay early and then request O to ticket me early.

as posted elsewhere

Actually, you make a good point. The final payment to Oceania is not due for several months. I guess I could pay early and then request O to ticket me early.

It is an option

I would check how early they will ticket you before you pay early

Actually, I just called American Airlines and there is a long waiting list for upgrades with points. It would be 25,000 points and $350 a person - pretty good deal, but it is not a big plane, so I doubt I would make it to the top. I don't have any points with the Star Alliance, so I guess it will be coach in both directions.

as posted elsewhere

I have a deviation and have paid in full. O said the earliest they will ticket is 60 days in advance...which is in 7 more days.

I have a deviation and have paid in full. O said the earliest they will ticket is 60 days in advance...which is in 7 more days.

I believe that if you insist, then O will ticket earlier than 60 days, providing that you meet the other requirements.

It is one of those things where they don't encourage it , but "the customer is always right". :D

why do you want to be ticketed early if you aren't going to upgrade your seat?

(Hopefully, I think things out a bit better, so I don't require 3 posts in future!)

There is no reason to be ticketed earlier if you can't upgrade your seat. The discussion was being ticketed early so you COULD upgrade. Tropicalkerry, I think you need the vacation more than I do- LOL.

Archived