This Wiil Be Our Last Time On Oceania Air

Polecat

Our Golden Rules for Flights are

On "round the world" tickets always buy through one of the Airlines in the Alliance/Partnership.

If not you might find that what might have been a simple change over the phone involving 2 of the airlines, turns into contacting your TA to make the changes...

Never ever let you luggage be tranferred to another Airline without spotting it first. I know it a bit of a pain and might mean an overnight stop but at least you know where it went missing. But there are tons of direct flights these days and if it is over 8 to 10 hours you should take an overnight stop anyway.

Oh and always arrive a day earlier at your destination

In our humble opinion of course. :cool:

... If you do cancel before Final Payment you will still be out the $250 (per couple) administrative fee for the deviation (plus, I assume, if there were any additional fees for the flight choices that too.)

To me, that's one of the best parts of using Oceania air. We always deviate (that sounds naughty :rolleyes:), so we do have the $250 on our credit card and would be out that much if we cancel, but that's our only problem with cancellation. With booking your own, you pay for it at the time of booking, and face possible hurdles and expenses in transferring a booking or getting your money back. Sometimes difficult, always aggravating -- but with O, when you cancel, they cancel the air and you have no problem, other than that $250. Considering that many cruise lines have a cancellation fee (Regent's is $200), that deviation fee is really not much of a concern.

Having had to cancel at least two cruises before final payment due to health problems and one due to a financial hiccup (since solved), I appreciate the comfort of having included Oceania's air.

Getting back to premium economy versions ...

We flew premium economy on Air New Zealand in January 2008 and it was marvelous. It wasn't CHEAP, but it was far cheaper than true business class and not that much more than coach as I recall. We had all the perks of business (even got to use their bathroom!) but we didn't have flat-back seats. That was fine with me because they were marvelously plush and could be reclined almost fully flat.

But premium economy on Air France last October was not much better than straight coach. It appeared that each class used the same seats -- they looked alike but I didn't try the others out -- but the seats themselves were not comfortable or easy to adjust. Walking back to the bathrooms (we weren't allowed to use the business class bathrooms on AF) I could see that the coach people were really packed in like sardines. Even the aisle was narrower. Now, it may well be a function of which aircraft you are on, I'm aware of that.

We'll be flying AF (but in business class) for our Viking cruise next month. I will be most interested in what differences, if any, we see from our PE flights last fall.

Mura

I would like to thank everyone for your enlightening comments and compassion regarding our seating changes. About an hour after our initial posting yesterday we received a telephone call from Eunice at Oceania Air apologizing for the seat changes. She said that she would get back to us within 48 hours. She also gave me her direct phone number and extension. This morning she called back. There had been a cancellation and we now have seats in a 2 across section for the Athens to JFK leg. She also verified that we are happy with the seating on all legs of our trip. I want to thank Eunice for her quick response to our plight. She was very courteous and professional in handling our problem.

We thought long and hard about taking advantage(?) of Oceania's all-inclusive air flight with our upcoming Riviera cruise. We opted to take the $2,000 credit and we used frequent flyer miles to go business class from Tampa to Rome. Our return is from Venice to Tampa.

After reading all these horror stories I don't see how I would ever do the all-inclusive. We're flying in several days before the cruise and flying back several days after the cruise in order to see more of each city in Italy.

I think Oceania owes you an explanation as to why your original flights were cancelled. Had you paid in full by the deadline?

We thought long and hard about taking advantage(?) of Oceania's all-inclusive air flight with our upcoming Riviera cruise. We opted to take the $2,000 credit and we used frequent flyer miles to go business class from Tampa to Rome. Our return is from Venice to Tampa.

After reading all these horror stories I don't see how I would ever do the all-inclusive. We're flying in several days before the cruise and flying back several days after the cruise in order to see more of each city in Italy.

I think Oceania owes you an explanation as to why your original flights were cancelled. Had you paid in full by the deadline?

Oceania does not ticket until 30 days out. If they found a cheaper fare bucket at that time -- they would have to do a cancel/rebook to get that. I am sure that is what happened.

Economy Plus/Premium Economy varies widely between airlines. The US carriers it is nothing more than the same seat/width with 4 inches or so extra leg space and ability to recline another 2-inches. So Delta, United and others are so so - but certainly worth the $80 Jim&Stan are paying. As for UA (from a 2+MM flier) -- not worth the money they charge and many of the Continental planes are still the old configuration.

Foreign carriers like Eva, Air NZ, BMI, KLM, Virgin, BA are wider seats more legroom and the service level is higher (some have separate cabins -- ie. Virgin 747 is on the upper deck).

Economy Plus/Premium Economy varies widely between airlines. The US carriers it is nothing more than the same seat/width with 4 inches or so extra leg space and ability to recline another 2-inches. So Delta, United and others are so so - but certainly worth the $80 Jim&Stan are paying. As for UA (from a 2+MM flier) -- not worth the money they charge and many of the Continental planes are still the old configuration.

Foreign carriers like Eva, Air NZ, BMI, KLM, Virgin, BA are wider seats more legroom and the service level is higher (some have separate cabins -- ie. Virgin 747 is on the upper deck).

I agree that Economy Plus such as United and Premium Economy such as Air NZ are quite different. United E+ just gives you a little more legroom and is free for elites. The Continental planes are starting to be re-configured with E+ as well. If your flight doesn't have it, they won't charge you for it.

We recently returned from Auckland on Air NZ in Premium Economy. Quite nice and no comparison to Economy Plus. I would call it Business Minus. Pretty nice and roomy seats but not lie-flat. Service is more like Business class and they do charge a pretty hefty premium for it.

We are doing the Rio to BA crusie in Feb 2013. AA is the only carrier that goes direct to both citys from JFK,We live on long island.Check there price and its is around $2200 pp round trip. O gave me $1300.00 aircredit. We used O's air about 6 yeras ago. They charged me $100.00 to make my flights direct from JFK at that time no extra charge.

I was informed on theCC board that now they charge $150.00 to change plus anyother costs invloved.

We just came back from Australia New Zealand crusie and I used the Pemium Economy on Qantas, It was better then I expected.

Last year we took the Natuica crusie out of Beijing to Hong Kong. I bought 3 seats on Air China economy. so we had the middle seat to ourselfs.The cost was 1200 per ticket alot cheaper the bussiness class. Worked out great.

The Q is do I go with O and there Air deviation or just make my own resevations?

We are doing the Rio to BA crusie in Feb 2013. AA is the only carrier that goes direct to both citys from JFK,We live on long island.Check there price and its is around $2200 pp round trip. O gave me $1300.00 aircredit. We used O's air about 6 yeras ago. They charged me $100.00 to make my flights direct from JFK at that time no extra charge.

I was informed on theCC board that now they charge $150.00 to change plus anyother costs invloved.

The Q is do I go with O and there Air deviation or just make my own resevations?

I would ask what flights O can get you or ask about the specific flights that you want ..then compare

I thought the deviation fee was $125 pp:confused:

Maybe on your previous flights there was not upcharge for the flights you accepted

We paid an upcharge back in 2004 so it is not new to O

We just came back from Australia New Zealand crusie and I used the Pemium Economy on Qantas, It was better then I expected.

Last year we took the Natuica crusie out of Beijing to Hong Kong. I bought 3 seats on Air China economy. so we had the middle seat to ourselfs.The cost was 1200 per ticket alot cheaper the bussiness class. Worked out great.

The actual air deviation charge is currently $125 per person. They have always charged for any extra costs incurred, but they work their tails off to avoid anything extra. Those extra charges usually come form requesting specific flights or specific airlines that may not be included in their contracts. When I request a deviation, it's for extra days, not to get certain flights. I've never been disappointed in the connections that Oceania has booked, so I leave that part of it up to them. I just say which day I want to arrive and which day I want to depart.

Your example of booking it yourself for $2200 or more and getting a $1300 credit from Oceania makes the question a no-brainer in my case. Even payng $125 for a deviation makes your total "cost" $1425 as opposed to $2200. Saving $775 is always good, in my opinion.

And, you mentiponed "round trip" @ $2200 -- Does that include the premiums airlines usually charge for one-way flights (NY to Rio, BA to NY)?

{EDIT} LHT posted while I was composing my response -- I need to learn to type (or think) faster!

The actual air deviation charge is currently $125 per person. They have always charged for any extra costs incurred, but they work their tails off to avoid anything extra. Those extra charges usually come form requesting specific flights or specific airlines that may not be included in their contracts. When I request a deviation, it's for extra days, not to get certain flights. I've never been disappointed in the connections that Oceania has booked, so I leave that part of it up to them. I just say which day I want to arrive and which day I want to depart.

Your example of booking it yourself for $2200 or more and getting a $1300 credit from Oceania makes the question a no-brainer in my case. Even payng $125 for a deviation makes your total "cost" $1425 as opposed to $2200. Saving $775 is always good, in my opinion.

And, you mentiponed "round trip" @ $2200 -- Does that include the premiums airlines usually charge for one-way flights (NY to Rio, BA to NY)?

{EDIT} LHT posted while I was composing my response -- I need to learn to type (or think) faster!

Great answer.The AA is multy city round trip PP. Jfk to Rio-Ba to Jfk. We are also going 4 days pre to stay in Rio ,we always fly in at least 3 days before our crusie. Never know what kind of weather we will have in Feburary.

Once I book witj O air deveation can I upgrade with the airline to Bussiness class using my points?

Acrusa, I recently found out that can depend on the contract Oceania has with the airline. I was trying to use a deviation for upgradeable seats on Delta flights to Athens/Istanbul and couldn't get them because the contract didn't permit upgrades. So we ended up booking FF miles on our own with Continental.

The first thing to do is call American to determine which flight codes are upgradeable. Then check with O to see what flight codes they book.

Sometimes it depends on the customer service rep you talk to at the airline -- other CC members just managed to get upgradeable tickets with Delta when I couldn't! But a more creative rep than I spoke to figured out how to do it.

Mura

P.S. It should be summer time in February. We were in Rio for a week in March 1974 and it was quite warm. Also the first time I saw string bikinis on the beach ... Howard couldn't take his eyes off those gorgeous ladies!

Just how does O figure its air credits? We will need to fly HNL (a "Gateway city") to MIA and return. The lowest coach fare we can find is almost $1,200. pp. O is offering only $400. pp air credit. This just seems a little cheap on their part.

It seems that flying from North American airports to North American port city the credit is low

Do not have an answer just my observation

We tried to upgrade our seats just last night. We are on United from DC to Barcelona. Because of the class of ticket O books, it would have cost us 25,000 in miles plus a little over $5,000 per person each way. We settled for economy plus, which we paid $80-something per seat. We had no problems changing our seats to ones we felt were better. BUT, I will be keeping a close eye on our reservations!!

Just how does O figure its air credits? We will need to fly HNL (a "Gateway city") to MIA and return. The lowest coach fare we can find is almost $1,200. pp. O is offering only $400. pp air credit. This just seems a little cheap on their part.

I think it is based on how much they pay for the tickets, which is based on the contracts they negotiate with the airlines. They used to be a little more generous, to the point that you might be able to take the credit and book your own flights for a little less -- especially if you were willing to make more than one or two stops, and to fly "Insanity Air" or some such. But, a couple of years ago they lowered the credits to the point where it is a much better deal to accept their air program than it is to take the credit and book your own. I have no way of knowing, and am just guessing, but I suspect they have to meet a quota to get the good prices, and perhaps too many people were booking their own.

The important thing to me is that Oceania, in contrast to horror stories I've heard about other cruise lines, really prides themselves on finding the best possible combination of flights within their limits. In over 6 years participation on this forum I can't recall a single person complaining about their flights, except one or two who didn't feel they had enough time to make their connection when changing planes. That's never happened to us; we're flying from Miami to JFK to connect to a direct flight to Nice, and we have a more than comfortable 3-1/2 hour layover at JFK.

Maybe it depends on what type of upgrade one is trying to get. I asked the Delta Rep what it would cost in miles to upgrade to business class, and she said that while we have enough miles, the class of ticket did not permit it. On the other hand, we were easily able to do a minor upgrade from economy to economy comfort (4" extra legroom, 50% more recline, priority boarding (after business, I'm sure) and complimentary beer, wine or spirits, all for $80 per person......

We normally sail with HAL & book our own air. Last fall we flew Dulles (Washington DC) to Rome on United, & bought their Economy Plus upgrade - well worth whatever we paid for it. It's basically the same as you describe Delta's program. But, it also included 2 checked bags per person. Does the $80 on Delta include the luggage fees?

We tried to upgrade our seats just last night. We are on United from DC to Barcelona. Because of the class of ticket O books, it would have cost us 25,000 in miles plus a little over $5,000 per person each way. We settled for economy plus, which we paid $80-something per seat. We had no problems changing our seats to ones we felt were better. BUT, I will be keeping a close eye on our reservations!!

We are about to put a deposit on Riviera's westbound trans-Atlantic voyage in November 2013. Your post caught my eye since Barcelona is also the embarkation port for this cruise & Dulles is our gateway airport.

Is your O-booked flight non-stop? If not, where do you make connections? Did you have to request that routing? Did you do a deviation to request United? Are you flying in early at all, or did O book you to arrive the date of departure? I notice that your cruise is about 90 days away & I've been reading that O usually books airfare around 30 days out. chatty.gif Sorry I'm so chatty - this will be our first O cruise & we're just a tad excited! clap.gif

hondorner & katz - Thank you both, ever SO much.

A newbie.gif

We normally sail with HAL & book our own air. Last fall we flew Dulles (Washington DC) to Rome on United, & bought their Economy Plus upgrade - well worth whatever we paid for it. It's basically the same as you describe Delta's program. But, it also included 2 checked bags per person. Does the $80 on Delta include the luggage fees?... newbie.gif

No. On flights to Europe, Delta allows Economy passengers one free bag up to 50 lbs plus normal carry-on rules. This does not change for Economy Plus; only when one goes up to Business Class does one get 2 bags at 70 lbs. each free. In Economy Plus, an additional 50 lb. bag would cost $80. Doesn't affect us. Because we are going to be gone a toal of 24 days and have some special events, we're bringing a medium suitcase each plus a carry-on; otherwise we would need only carry-ons.

I thought Oceania air credit was pretty good. We were able to book our own flights from NYC to Barcelona and return from Lisbon a little cheaper than the credit plus deviation. I will say that we watched the flights and snagged a good fare when it became available in January.

I think the difference is where you fly from. We are fortunate in that we are in a metropolitan area with two international airports so we have more of an opportunity to use the credit and still be able to book our own fare for the same or lesser cost.

We paid extra for an air deviation to go 3 days earlier and stay several days later, and we also paid an extra fee to get the non-stops..total of $250 each

We hope with paying these fees we get what we requested..any experience with this?

Sherry

We paid extra for an air deviation to go 3 days earlier and stay several days later, and we also paid an extra fee to get the non-stops..total of $250 each

We hope with paying these fees we get what we requested..any experience with this?

Sherry

Were you presented with the flight details before you accepted & paid the deviation fee??

Archived