Can anyone tell me what these are for?

I noticed similar designs on the Freedom of the Seas near some of the wind-breaks on deck 11 (I think). They were the same color as the rest of the flooring, not contrasting like yours, and were in the designs of a heart and a spade (card suits). I think I remember seeing a diamond near by, but I couldn't find a club.

I have seen fish and shell shapes also, and have seen these on several different ships on the promenade (outside) decks. I thought patches when I first noticed, but after seeing on several ships decided they are just random decoration. Great question for the Captain's talk. Someone ask!

So, if you tell the boarding team you just want to get a picture of the upgrade fairy leaving foot prints behind, will they let you board without a ticket? I really, really want to be on a ship right now, instead of here at work (and not actually working)

after being on so many cruises i have never seen these marking on the carpet on those decks...not that i would have a reason to be on those decks...very very bizzare that NO ONE ON CRUISE CRITIC HAS ANY IDEA OF WHAT THISE ARE OR ABOUT...i don't buy the patches thing becuase in some of the pic's there are area's that are so worn out that they should also be patched and not just a butterfly patch...more that a big square patch...PLEASE KEEP US IN THE LOOP AS TO AN ANSWER...

This is too cool. I'm on the Explorer April 12th and will have to check it out. We also seem to have a Super Sleuth on our Meet and Mingle' date=' so maybe I'll ask him. Hmmm.[/quote']

Perfect! a Super Sleuth, I need one of those! Thanks.

I don't know if this helps describe where they are, or where to look, but they are not in the carpet. They are in the rubberized parts of the deck. Sometimes where the shuffle board games are, there is a walking deck, and then kind of a hidden set of stairs that takes you to the front or back of the ship. I know I have seen them on the Voyage Class and Freedom Class ships. I find them when I am snooping around (no flameing here) in the area's that say "crew only" I never open any doors or anything, but I look around corners and things. You can usually see their pool, and gathering areas. I am just so in love with ships, to think there is someplace I cannot see really bothers me.

I remember back in the day, when the luggage was being delivered, you could see in the crew's stairway. I think they are much more private now. But it was interesting to me how the public area was so grand and beautiful, and just a few yards away, there was a stairwell that looked like a Navy Ship..

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what these butterflies are for? I have seen them on most of the ships I have sailed. Usually on deck 4 aft. The Voyager also had one in the shape of a maple leaf. Sometimes I think they are just pretty patches in the decking, but they are just so random, and there are usually more than one, in a cluster. Any idea's what they are? ( I hope the pictures show up)

I will take a shot at it. I think you are right, decorative art to cover repairs in the deck. When I was on the Explorer of the Seas in January, I was watching the crew repair the deck with some type of epoxy similar to what you have and it looks like they might have put the butterflies on to make it look better.

Still no answers ???:eek:

Folks on the April 8th Mariner sailing are planning to investigate- here is a post from TEXASMUNK on the Mariner's roll call (and mentioning The ALL NEW RCI Galveston, Texas 'Cruise Cam Watch Group' thread):

New task for everyone!!!!

In various locales, around Mariner, there are blue butterflies laid into the carpeting. If you ever visit the very long thread over on the Royal Caribbean threads, you will see a piece with the phrase Galveston Cruise Cam in the title...That is where someone who has been on Mariner asked the question as to why they are there. So that is our mission, find out the meaning of the butterflies!!!

If you find out come back and post the info here and on the Galveston thread please.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1603068

Archived