Can anyone tell me what these are for?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what these butterflies are for? I have seen them on most of the ships I have sailed. Usually on deck 4 aft. The Voyager also had one in the shape of a maple leaf. Sometimes I think they are just pretty patches in the decking, but they are just so random, and there are usually more than one, in a cluster. Any idea's what they are? ( I hope the pictures show up)

photo.jpg.ee520d8cd003ea865506cc2464b8b465.jpg

photo1.jpg.056d9493e992ba5f1933d90538af3a79.jpg

photo3.jpg.0e596ac4112fae2f5239f6b512046cb2.jpg

They are all on deck 4, towards the rear. Clustered kind of in the same area. I almost started thinking they were some sort of marker for tributes for ( I know this sounds morbid) but burials at sea? I have heard that you can make those arrangements. Or something.....

Probably not their intended purpose, but I've heard of things like this showing up on scavenger hunts... people usually don't look down at where they are walking with that level of attention!

I have also seen similar things up on the pool and deck above. My guess is these are patches when the surface got agouge in it and rather than simply globbing a unsightly patch, they crafted the butterfly or other designs.

I have also seen similar things up on the pool and deck above. My guess is these are patches when the surface got agouge in it and rather than simply globbing a unsightly patch, they crafted the butterfly or other designs.

I would say that is a pretty good guess. Makes sense to me.

I also thought they were patches. But maybe you can make out one of the pictures ( I know they are not great), there are area's right around them that really need to be patched. So I ruled that out.

I know I have seen them on the Freedom, and the Mariner.

It is a little like the carpet that appears to be wet, but is not really wet on the landings. When I wondered about that, someone that worked in carpeting taught me a lot that day.

Maybe someone that works onboard knows what these mean, or why they are there?

Probably not their intended purpose, but I've heard of things like this showing up on scavenger hunts... people usually don't look down at where they are walking with that level of attention!

I know, I always look down when I walk, first I am shorter than most.. under 5 feet, and really clumsy! My DH says I trip over air. I usually see these things, when no one else does. :)

As my big sister always would reply when I wondered about such things when I was a kid, "They're there to make you ask questions."

LOL! Great answer by your sisters!

I was wondering maybe to discourage birds from landing, but butterflies would really attract them! ;) Patching sounds right... Who is sailing next? Sounds like a great Captains Corner ???:D

Great thinking Deb... maybe we can get TexasMunk to ask when he does Mariner next week, I've got him on assignment about the Dart Board in the Pig also.:D;)

This will annoy me until someone finds out.

Archived