Can anyone tell me what these are for?

We will be on Mariner for 19 nights in late May - mid June........I will go on a scavenger hunt, find these and ask every crew member I come in contact with if they know why they are there and if they have any special meaning or purpose!I'll report back, if I find an answer!:confused::)

Whenever the Upgrade Fairy comes on board her magical feet leave a mark where she first lands. She tends to favor the same landing area so if you hide with a net you might be able to catch her!

Best answer yet !

I saw these through an open crew only door in the windjammer (specifically the one between Jade and windjammer) in freedom last week so I think that rules out scavenger hunt. I also showed the picture to my six year old who did the AO scavenger hunt and he said they weren't apart of it. Not a definite answer but hope it helps. I kind of think a temporary patch might be the right direction of thinking......

They are definitely patches.

You're not going to find them on carpet, just the outside non-skid surfaces.

These areas can get cut-gouged, creating a real safety hazard and have to be repaired asap or people would trip and fall.

I've watched them do it while outside enjoying a cigar.

I don't know whose idea it was to use shapes, but if they used plain square patches then everyone would notice how bad a shape the deck is, and the ship in general showing wear, with everything being "patched", as opposed to people not really knowing what it is, like everyone here.

We've had to do similar repairs all the time while on Ship in the Navy, but instead of decorative shapes, they did entire sections, not patches.

Going back to thinking patches...and why would they need patches? Cigarette burns!

Boy CC can turn anything into a smoking thread :mad:

Ok someone has to know what these are for... scavenger hunt, burial at sea memorial spot, random deck patching, to make people curious???

I think we have a winner. Could it be Royal is testing us CC'ers to see how well we pay attention?

Hi, I have read this thread many times and find it puzzling. I have had a few thoughts on this, so now I will share what I think these Butterflies, Maple leafs could be.

People say they are always on deck 4, aft?? now each evening after the show, we go outside on deck 4 for a smoke (Iknow its bad for us) :)

We always put our cigarettes out properly, and plasce them in the bin, ashtray provided, but on many ocassions we have seen people just flick them into the sea with no thought. So! I'm wondering if the ship is travelling forward and a breeze is blowing, could the discarded cigarettes be blown back onto deck 4, then the wind pushes them along the deck, until they come to a resting place aft of the deck. Then they may scorch the deck, leaving a burn, as when wind blows over embers it increases their strenght. So here we are with a nasty burn, if they fix it with white/grey material, its going to stand out like a soar thumb,, so maybe,, just maybe they repair using Blue Material, and create a little motif so it just looks funny.

Just a thought, feedback welcome.

Chrissy :)

We often get rooms close to the hump and across from the crew stairs. They always remind me of the emergency stairs at my work. Functional but nothing fancy.

What! No expensive art work in the stair wells for the crew! :eek:

If the patch theory holds up I wonder of all the butterflies will be exterminated when Mariner does drydock in a couple weeks. They might re-do whole sections of the surfacing and remove the mystery bugs.

My 88 year old Dad was cruising with us and one morning, we are all having coffee out on the balcony and he says, "Last night, we saw a bunch of white birds fly by the cabin". Okay, we couldn't stay laughing and thought he was crazy until the Captain confirmed what he saw. You never know what happens on a ship! Or maybe the Captain recognized Dad's age and played along with him. We will never know.:)

Texasmunk is back from his Mariner cruise and here is his report:

icon1.gifButterflies on Mariner

Yes, they are there. No, no one knows anymore why they were ever put there. Best guess was that they were a whimsical idea of one of the original designers. Sorry, best answer I could get a a crew member or officer.

So it seems they've been there too long and the crew/staff is clueless....o well, one of those mysteries that will remain unsolved.

Archived