Oceania vs. HAL

bellebride116

I'd love to go on Cunard but my other half thinks we are too young. I have a feeling I will hear this argument even when we are in our 60s and 70s. Little does he know that all the cruises I booked for 2013 are all suites. :)

We went on a HAL Alaska cruise last year accommodate my 83 year old mother's dream of going to Alaska. I found the food to be ordinary at best. In fact there were a couple of meals in the main dining room that I found to be just plain bad food.

I can only compare one Oceania cruise with one HAL cruise, both 4 weeks: Regatta versus Statendam

I found the food on the Statendam to be bland, sometimes too salty, only once in four weeks spiced correctly. The buffet had the most boring and repetitive food ever (compared to Princess). According to my husband who hears every false note, the evening entertainment was subpar.

The food on the Regatta was excellent. The buffet was so good that we ate there often. The musical evening entertainment was nothing to rave about.

Everything else was comparable.

We have booked Oceania again. Before I book HAL again, I will have to find out whether other HAL ships have more acceptable food.

I'd love to go on Cunard but my other half thinks we are too young. I have a feeling I will hear this argument even when we are in our 60s and 70s. Little does he know that all the cruises I booked for 2013 are all suites. :)

The age is generally 60 or older. I'm 57, my partner 49. We like Cunard for it's absence of intrusive announcements & the culture of it's international clientel. Oceania is getting a very good reputation, especially the newer ships coming out. HAL has too many smokers for my taste & the age group is perhaps even older than Cunard.

Given the preferences that you listed, it seems that Oceania will be a better fit for you, provided that you book at either the Suite or Concierge level, where Room Service is more expansive than in the lower categories.

IMG_1344.jpg

In a Suite, access to the Spa Deck would also be included in your fare, and particularly on the newer Oceania Class ships, the Penthouses are GORGEOUS:

oceania_oclass-penthouse-suite-b.jpgpenthouse-cabin.jpg

I am looking at the Oceania website and I don't see this complimentary spa deck access listed in any of the suite categories' list of goodies. I am sure you know what you are talking about, but is it mentioned anywhere on the website?

I am looking at the Oceania website and I don't see this complimentary spa deck access listed in any of the suite categories' list of goodies. I am sure you know what you are talking about, but is it mentioned anywhere on the website?

I believe it is mentioned in the brochures only

You can view them online if you do not have one

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/brochure.aspx

It's on Page 22 of the latest "Your World, Your Way" brochure, dated April 2, 2012, under the heading "Rejuvanate". Quoting from the brochure, "All Concierge Level and Suite guests can enjoy FREE unlimited access to the beautifully appointed Canyon Ranch SpaClub private Spa Terrace."

Frankly, I was unaware of this, even though I sailed Concierge on Marina and Penthouse on Regatta. I'll be sure to try it out on Riviera in a couple of weeks if the weather is nice enough.

Thanks for backing me up, Lyn and Don. I read Markshale's question last night but could not recall for the life of me how I knew that access was included.

Now, I don't have to do any research. :D

To get back to the original topic, this is sounding more and more like the introduction of the Oceania Class ships has converted most HAL loyalists to the Oceania side.

ratch.jpg

Welcome

Having sailed with HAL twice I'll never go again. Our 1st time was Alaska Inside Passage and it was fine, but the 2nd was a Carib trip and I was unable to use our veranda because of the 2 chimneys that were on either side of me and above me. HAL's smoking policy is the deal killer for us; we also noticed a decline in food and restaurant service from trip 1 and trip 2, although our cabin attendants were wonderful both times. Thank heavens for O--we're coming up on 10 cruises (many b2b)-- and their wonderful smoking policy.

Thanks for backing me up, Lyn and Don. I read Markshale's question last night but could not recall for the life of me how I knew that access was included.

Now, I don't have to do any research. :D

To get back to the original topic, this is sounding more and more like the introduction of the Oceania Class ships has converted most HAL loyalists to the Oceania side.

ratch.jpg

Welcome

Provided we're not getting all the smokers!

jimandstan, OMG....i thought the 1st pix was awesome but then I'm a sucker for historical stuff, then begin to really laugh when i saw the woman and the man on their "vehicles" and then lost it when i saw the man was on his horsey. Thanks for lightening my day. (BTW, you know how much I enjoy your pictures)

It's on Page 22 of the latest "Your World, Your Way" brochure, dated April 2, 2012, under the heading "Rejuvanate". Quoting from the brochure, "All Concierge Level and Suite guests can enjoy FREE unlimited access to the beautifully appointed Canyon Ranch SpaClub private Spa Terrace."

Frankly, I was unaware of this, even though I sailed Concierge on Marina and Penthouse on Regatta. I'll be sure to try it out on Riviera in a couple of weeks if the weather is nice enough.

Thanks to all of you for making us aware of this. We have just upgraded to a Penthouse on Riviera and originally thought this was one more reason to have done so. Turns out we already had the privilege in concierge class. Oh well, at least we know. We were thinking of renting a cabana for a day or two during the cruise since we have two half days at sea. Perhaps this area of the ship will suffice especially since we couldn't use a cabana all day.

Mark

Thanks to all of you for making us aware of this. We have just upgraded to a Penthouse on Riviera and originally thought this was one more reason to have done so. Turns out we already had the privilege in concierge class. Oh well, at least we know. We were thinking of renting a cabana for a day or two during the cruise since we have two half days at sea. Perhaps this area of the ship will suffice especially since we couldn't use a cabana all day.

Mark

There are no cabanas on the Oceania class ships only on the R-class

Lyn

There are no cabanas on the Oceania class ships only on the R-class

Lyn

I assume you speak from personal experience, but the deck plan for the Marina on the website shows cabanas. The Riviera Deck plan in our documents shows a putting green in the same area. Confusing!

That saves us one more decision to make!

I assume you speak from personal experience, but the deck plan for the Marina on the website shows cabanas. The Riviera Deck plan in our documents shows a putting green in the same area. Confusing!

That saves us one more decision to make!

LHT is correct, there are no Cabanas on either ship, but they were 86'd from the Marina's design rather late in the game (so late, in fact that I had already BOOKED ONE for the Marina's second cruise) and the web site has not been amended yet.

Gee, that is too bad for a line that many consider to be more upscale. Any cabin on HAL can have a hot breakfast delivered from room service. One can even write in items not on the room service menu (like eggs benedict) and they'll be delivered - but only when the MDR is open for breakfast. Everyone can also have dinner off of that nights menus delivered. I guess we'll be taking a step down from HAL in this aspect when we take our first Oceania cruise next year.

Oceania's website says that room service is complimentary and available 24 hours a day. Not sure where the poster got their information.

Oceania's website says that room service is complimentary and available 24 hours a day. Not sure where the poster got their information.

I think they are talking about the HOT breakfast selections ...they are only available in the higher cabin CAT ...concierge & above

Just got off of my 4 HAL trip. It is. Just a mass market line. I found it to be just ok, nothing out of the rest. There is a lot more to it than the room size and room service. I felt the ship was run down and under staffed. Much of the outdoor furniture should of been in a dumpster. I asked for something in the MDR and was told it was on the ship but due to cutbacks the waiter was too busy to get it. Me wife cut her arm an a worn lounge chair and had to be treatered for infection. It is 3star at best.

BelleBride, I don't think you mentioned which Oceania ships you're considering but I believe that, on Regatta/Nautica, the cabins below the "suite" category are the same size (exclusive of balcony). They're beautiful, but very, very small. Since you enjoy spending time in your cabin, this is something to consider on Regatta/Nautica. As noted above, the cabins on the newer ships are bigger and might be more suitable for you.

If you're shopping around, you might also like to look at Silversea. All of their cabins are very large, (240 sq.ft. minimum), roomy, with walk-in closets and tons of storage. Very well designed and comfortable. It's a quiet, grown-up environment and very pleasant. They, too, offer free air (or you can arrange your own and receive their air credit). Tons of very loyal, repeat passengers, and with good reason.

Archived