Which Port for my Model?

BigKeith

Well, I've decided it's time to start a project for my nephews, neices and myself. I want to build a replica port for my model cruise ships but not sure which one. Considering my favourite, Miami because it is big but worried that there aren't enough distinctive features for the making of it (apart from the terminals). Juneau could be a good one but might look strange with the bigger ships in my collection. Venice would also be nice with the different bay and maybe a train in there.

What do you think?

BigKeith

Why not create your own port based on the best features of several ports? You could call it port Keith.

Also, how many models do you have, and what is their general size? Are they all the same scale?

Why not create your own port based on the best features of several ports? You could call it port Keith.

Also, how many models do you have, and what is their general size? Are they all the same scale?

That's quite a cool idea, The designing part could be really fun.

I have quite a lot of models but only looking to incorporate a few into this design, they all seem to be the same scale except my Oasis and Allure with are oversized

Does it need to be a Port of Embarkation, or can it be a Port of Call?

(Sorry, I have no suggestions either way.)

They can be either really. I considered St Thomas but that might be slightly boring. I wanted some terminals in it so that sort of lead me to embarkation points

If the terminal design itself is important, I like the Disney terminal at Port Canaveral for its retro Art Deco design, evocative of the Ocean Terminal at Southampton, England around 1950....

Another is the Canada Place terminal at Vancouver.

Oh, go for Venice, BK. The last time we were there there were 7 cruise ships in, and the big Greek ferries came and went from that terminal, with 100s of cars- so you can add your modelcars and tankers....

One time we were moored near the railway- and the Orient Express was just across from us, so you'll need a Hornby's train set as well...

And don't forget the people mover from the dock, on an overhead rail....:rolleyes:

Plus, lots of water buses, taxis, fire boats, ambulence boats.....I'm tempted to try it myself!

You'll need a whole room to spread out in, me thinks....:cool:

Jo.

Well, if you want space for several models and you are planning on a large space why not New York City. Depending upon how much space you are planning on using you have a choice of many landmark buildings and bridges and there are cruise ship terminals in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Bayonne, NJ is not too far away either.

Whatever you decide, enjoy the project.

Jed

• 3 weeks later...
Well, I've decided it's time to start a project for my nephews, neices and myself. I want to build a replica port for my model cruise ships but not sure which one. Considering my favourite, Miami because it is big but worried that there aren't enough distinctive features for the making of it (apart from the terminals). Juneau could be a good one but might look strange with the bigger ships in my collection. Venice would also be nice with the different bay and maybe a train in there.

What do you think?

BigKeith

Vancouver, a little bit of everything, downtown, commercial port, float plane terminal, distinct buildings..

Archived