Denali for a day

bravesfan19

We will be getting off in Seward on July 13th after we complete our 7 day cruise on the Radiance of the Seas. We want to go see Denali National Park but would only have Friday & part of the day Saturday to see it because we have to fly back home Saturday night so that we can be @ Work on Monday morning.

Would this be enough time to see Denali? If so what are the best things to do there in a short period of time? Are there any tour guides or travel agents that you would reccomend for this?

Have you looked at a map? Anything is possible but your choice as to whether it's worth all the driving ... Doesn't sound enjoyable when you do the math.

On Friday it would be a minimum of 9 hrs to drive Seward-Denali. If you make a few photo stops to break up the trip you could leave Seward at 8am and arrive in Denali by 8pm.

On Saturday you need several hrs to travel INTO the Park on a shuttle bus (so 7am to 2pm) then another 6 hrs to drive back to Anchorage for a red eye flight.

OR, spend the day in Seward, take the evening train to Anchorage to spend Fri night. Sightsee in Anchorage on Sat. ( or take a flightseeing trip over Denali with Rust's)

OR, get a one-way car rental in Seward, visit Exit Glacier, then drive to Girdwood to overnight , about 1 hr south of Anchorage. Lots to do in this area ... gold pan, hike, Portage Lake/glacier visitor center and cruise, Conservation Center to view orphaned injured wildlife, Potters Marsh boardwalk to view birds and possibly moose, scan cliffs for mtn goats.

http://alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-spur-drive.htm

Sorry, no, you don't have enough time by ground travel. The whole idea about Denali is to get INTO the park. Plenty of cruisetours don't, which to me is a big waste of valuable vacation time.

The flightsee option above is doable from Anchorage, or, if you have a late overnight flight home, you "may" be able to do a fly in day trip, chartered with Talkeetna Aero. http://www.talkeetnaaero.com/denali-day-trips.htm

Many people find it really difficult to understand how large Alaska is until they are here. Once you depart the ship it would take the rest of the day to drive to the entrance of Denali Park. Then the next day you would have only a few hours at best to go into the park before driving to either Anchorage or Fairbanks for the flight or flights back home.

Ok thank you everyone, not sure what do do now. I guess I could try to get a few extra days off work. Lol

Frankly, time is your friend in Alaska. Go for as long as you can get and afford. Don't skimp on it, if available.

With so little time, I recommend you think about less driving and more time to see stuff. Denali may not work with such a short window.

If your ship arrives in Seward, consider the Sea Life Center, Kenai Fjords cruise, hiking by Exit Glacier (all in Seward).

Or, get to Girdwood and do the Winner Creek trail, take the tram to the top of the mountain, explore the Crow Creek Mine, rent a bike or take a hike.

Or, go to Anchorage - lots to see and do (Native Heritage Center, walk or bike the Tony Knowles Coastal trail, Anchorage Museum, etc.)

How many are in your party? If it were me I would spend Friday night in Seward - take the 6 hour Kenai Fjords tour. Saturday morning rent a one-way car rental from Hertz (probably $300 but worth it with your limited time). Drive to Exit Glacier that morning, then continue that day on Seward Highway through Turnagain Pass, Portage/Byron Glacier area, Wildlife Conservation Center, Girdwood, the Winner Creek Trail (hand tram), multiple scenic stops along Turnagain Arm). It will probably take you 5-6 hours from Seward to Anchorage with stops, maybe longer. Have dinner in Anchorage and head to the airport.

and Seward is probably 3 hours South of Anchorage. Plenty of sites in the Seward area like the other posters suggest - Sea Life Center, Exit Glacier, you could find a charter boat maybe take a sightseeing tour of the bay in Seward -

If you are set on taking a cruise of the inside passage, and have only a day leftover, I'd highly recommend a day cruise from Seward on the Gulf of Alaska with one of the local tour operators, especially the one that has the National Park Ranger on it. You will see tons of wildlife, glaciers calving, a more up close and personal look at Alaska. Take your Bonine before you get on the day cruise, since the water can be quite rough out there. Go take a walk to Exit Glacier, and take a look at the Sea Life Center.

If you can get more time off, and think you will not be back to Alaska, definitely get a rental car somewhere, drive to Denali (I recall about 150 miles north of Anchorage.) If you have time and money, take a flightseeing trip to McKinley base camp from Talkeetna (we used Talkeetna Air Taxi.)

Also take the school bus into Denali Park at least to mile 53. That's the only way you can get in past mile 14 without hiking in. You will see a ton of wildlife. Also stop at the National Park headquarters huskey kennels for an up close look at the working partners to the rangers--the dogs!

The highlights of our two trips to Alaska were: visiting Denali, the bus ride, huskies and flightseeing experience, and the day cruise on the Gulf of Alaska from Seward.

Having done an independent exploration of some small part of Alaska first, and an inside passage cruise later, I'd choose to do the independent trip hands down. It's relatively easy to see some of the best of Alaska, including Denali, if you are willing to fly to Anchorage and rent a car, rather than get on a cruise ship. I love cruising, but this is one area where I think the non-cruise option gives you a better experience.

[quote name=winegirl;33163459

If you can get more time off' date=' and think you will not be back to Alaska, definitely get a rental car somewhere, drive to Denali (I recall about 150 miles north of Anchorage.) If you have time and money, take a flightseeing trip to McKinley base camp from Talkeetna (we used Talkeetna Air Taxi.)

Also take the school bus into Denali Park at least to mile 53. .[/quote]

It is Kenai Fjords, not a "Gulf of Alaska" tour.

It is 240 miles Anchorage/Denali and, my min. recommended distance in is mile 66 Eielson. Toklat is mile 53, and it's significant bear territory between mile 53 and 66.

Archived