Back from the Epic, my opinion

njsonja

i have been on many many cruises over the years on many lines....I will never sail this ship again....this is merely my experience: a state of the art ship and no internet in the rooms? the signal wasn't strong enough and the girl at the internet cafe said it just cannot happen with the amount of bandwidth they have...in the meantime, the chair hogging situation was insane; if you didn't have a balcony or a posh pass or a spa suite/pass, it felt like a submarine...there was no outside except upstairs...; muffins were not to be had at TASTE for breakfast??? seriously? they split us up when we went to the shows, my dad had a scooter/wheelchair and we couldn't all go in at the same time....I understand that you had to wear long pants in the main dining room...what happened to Freestyle? They sent my 87 year old dad back to his room to change into long pants...c'mon...

These are really not important in the scheme of things...but this ship is just not my thing....she is beautiful inside, but not what I am looking for...

have a blast,

s

Wow. Really??? >>> Thanks for the heads up!!

Thanks for posting your opinion.

you attacked me for my opinion....not necessary....the food was good; the shows were fine...i was an hour early for the show where they split us up....it's not a ship i will revisit...and i rarely post my opinion on this board because of people like you...which is really a shame since others are interested in my opinion...

if you don't stay in a suite with perks, it's an entirely different experience....the suites cost a fortune on this cruise....so silly me, i opted for a spa suite which is not a suite in the "perks" sense...

i'm blessed that i can cruise as often as i do and that my parents are still on the planet...

i'm really annoyed with people like you, which is why i wear a shirt that says, 'LOVE DOGS, HATE PEOPLE'...just for you!

Relax, you are taking this WAAAAY to seriously...

Its is what it is. You didnt like your experience for the reasons you stated. so now you know its not for you.

I, for one, really like hearing the negatives about a particular ship. While I always make my own decisions based on the "tone" of the posting, I think it's important to hear both sides of every story. Personally, the muffins for breakfast doesn't bother me, so I pass over that complaint, but complaints about long lines, overly crowded areas, etc, do make a difference to me so I factor them into my decision.

I am booked on the Epic for February next year. I must admit that I do have reservations about it. I enjoyed the Dawn and the Spirit as there was always some method of getting away from the crowds. From what I read, that doesn't seem to be possible on the Epic given her lack of a promenade deck. That's just one example.

We'll see how it goes and I'll write my review the way I experienced it, both good and bad.

I, for one, really like hearing the negatives about a particular ship. While I always make my own decisions based on the "tone" of the posting, I think it's important to hear both sides of every story. Personally, the muffins for breakfast doesn't bother me, so I pass over that complaint, but complaints about long lines, overly crowded areas, etc, do make a difference to me so I factor them into my decision.

I am booked on the Epic for February next year. I must admit that I do have reservations about it. I enjoyed the Dawn and the Spirit as there was always some method of getting away from the crowds. From what I read, that doesn't seem to be possible on the Epic given her lack of a promenade deck. That's just one example.

We'll see how it goes and I'll write my review the way I experienced it, both good and bad.

I am also booked for a first Epic cruise and i've actually read the exact opposite about 'getaway' spaces. If you are looking for them, there are quite a number of quiet areas to be found. There's only one way to find out what the truth is - I will cruise and see for myself! And I'm really excited to see what this ship is all about (however, I know myself well enough to book a suite because I recognize my own love of those suite perks!)

I for one am very grateful for Sonja for her posting. She actually shared her phone number with me and we had a valuable conversation about the Epic. Like her I have sailed on 35+ cruises. I remember being attacked by the princess cc'ers after we returned from our sailing to Alaska on the Star Princess for what was I thought a very detailed and honest review of that sailing. Not nice!!

We all have something worthwhile to share even if the opinion does not match our own.

May all our future cruises be good ones, somethings may not be that perfect but remember how blessed we are to be the lucky FEW on this planet with the time and resources to sail away.

Chrissy

I for one am very grateful for Sonja for her posting. She actually shared her phone number with me and we had a valuable conversation about the Epic. Like her I have sailed on 35+ cruises. I remember being attacked by the princess cc'ers after we returned from our sailing to Alaska on the Star Princess for what was I thought a very detailed and honest review of that sailing. Not nice!!

We all have something worthwhile to share even if the opinion does not match our own.

May all our future cruises be good ones, somethings may not be that perfect but remember how blessed we are to be the lucky FEW on this planet with the time and resources to sail away.

Chrissy

I hear you. Nothing is ever absolutely perfect, though it would have been nice had she mentioned the plusses and not just the minuses when she first posted. I don't think it's helpful to complain about things that you should have known before you stepped on board. The dress code is one, and the perceived inability to connect to the outside is another. There is no promenade deck on the Epic, but I always was able to find quiet outside space, just not necessarily at the pool.

The comment about it not being for people in regular cabins is crazy, to me, as I was in a balcony and loved it so much, I'm headed back.

To each there own, but to expect that you'll get push back and posting only what they posted is asking for it, IMO.

i have been on many many cruises over the years on many lines....I will never sail this ship again....this is merely my experience: a state of the art ship and no internet in the rooms? the signal wasn't strong enough and the girl at the internet cafe said it just cannot happen with the amount of bandwidth they have...in the meantime, the chair hogging situation was insane; if you didn't have a balcony or a posh pass or a spa suite/pass, it felt like a submarine...there was no outside except upstairs...; muffins were not to be had at TASTE for breakfast??? seriously? they split us up when we went to the shows, my dad had a scooter/wheelchair and we couldn't all go in at the same time....I understand that you had to wear long pants in the main dining room...what happened to Freestyle? They sent my 87 year old dad back to his room to change into long pants...c'mon...

These are really not important in the scheme of things...but this ship is just not my thing....she is beautiful inside, but not what I am looking for...

have a blast,

s

That's funny because I was on this exact cruise and saw people wearing shorts in the dining rooms. The only exception was the Manhattan Room, and there was a sign posted stating that it is viewed as the formal dining room and shorts would not be allowed. What dining room were you attempting?

I had a spa pass, but also found any time I went up to deck 15 there were chairs and loungers available.....

With shows, we had no trouble having our group of six sit together, but we did get there early enough to do so.

Thank you for your post. Sorry you had a bad time but you answered a question I had floating in my own head, Can you have a good time on the Epic even if your just "regular folk" staying in a standard cabin without all the extras? Guess not! :(

Epic does appear to be an amazing ship and I am seriously considering sailing her next year for one main reason, she is massive in size and I have read you don't even realize you are moving or even on a ship and for me, that is the most important thing. I got very seasick on our last cruise and I do not want to feel like that again if I can avoid it.

I figure if the suite guest get a little more then me, thats cool since they are indeed paying for it and I will just not think about what I am not getting and focus on what we go get....we week in the caribbean on an amazing ship with our family and friends.:p

Oh I felt her moving.... constantly. If you get very seasick, this may not be the ship for you. I did not get sick, but one of my friends did.

Uh oh did you mean a Spa Mini Suite (M9) and not a Spa Suite (S9)? Because if you were in a Spa Suite (S9) you would have had the suite perks, and I just am hoping you didn't miss getting them. :)

JMO but I like to read both the good and bad opinions about a ship. I'm sorry you didn't love the Epic as I know how depressing a a disappointing vacation is. But it seems that most people do love the Epic's Spa. What did you think about it? Did you use it a lot? Have any tips?

I love, love, loved the spa!! I used it every single day, sometimes twice! The hydrotherapy pool was a dream and the hot stone loungers were perfect for when I was cold.

Also just off the Epic, my third voyage, and I just love her. Great food, great entertainment and on this last cruise, a chair hog actually gave me one of his four chairs (but it may have been because I was wearing a bikini, lol!). Thermal suite is well worth the extra $99. First time I felt motion, must have been the swells. A great week!! Ready for the Breakaway :-)

Chair hogs never bother me... seriously. if I go to breakfast at 730 and check the Pool then come back at 1030 Ill just remove the stuff off the chair and get rid of it... its that simple!!! usually when the people come to claim there chairs and cant find there stuff i just play dumb. if they get Nasty then so do i... i dont really care.

Sailed on Epic a few weeks ago, and while we really enjoyed the ship, many of the OPs comments are (IMO) valid. Why bother to rip them up about it? It really is ok not to reply if you have nothing to add but critisism of someone's opinion.

That said, I'm just adding that we also felt movement (not uncomfortable in any way if you're not prone to seasickness, but movement nonetheless) and we didn't have rough seas. Ships move, and even big ships move. I agree with the poster who said it's not to scare you off, but just to inform you you're still likely to feel some movement.

I don't know how many were in your party, but generally, when a member of a party required handicapped seating, there is a limited number of people who can be seated with them. It would not be nice if someone in a wheelchair couldn't see a show because a large family was sitting with their family member in a wheelchair.

I felt almost no motion....and I was in an M9....everyone is going to have a different experience....I spoke to many people who could not find chairs...

I will think twice about posting again....just too much drama....i wanted to make people aware of what they might not know...

Next cruise will be on Royal...and then back to NCL...but in a suite this time...and no not on the Epic...

Happy Sailings....

Dear OP:

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your cruise, but every bad experience you had is your own fault for various reasons (i.e., lack of research, poor understanding on your part, etc.). Moreover, every negative opinion you express is crazy. How could anyone dislike anything about a cruise ship? Cruise ships are awesome in every way! <INSERT SOMETHING ABOUT RULES BEING RULES HERE. THEY MUST BE STRICTLY ADHERED TO WITH NO EXCEPTIONS OR EXPLANATION BECAUSE THEY ARE RULES. PERIOD.> Maybe next time you will be better informed about the rules and understand why your opinions are wrong.

Sincerely,

Most likely everyone who will respond to this post

(I haven't taken the time to read the responses but I'm willing to bet this is somewhat accurate.)

Dear OP:

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your cruise, but every bad experience you had is your own fault for various reasons (i.e., lack of research, poor understanding on your part, etc.). Moreover, every negative opinion you express is crazy. How could anyone dislike anything about a cruise ship? Cruise ships are awesome in every way! <INSERT SOMETHING ABOUT RULES BEING RULES HERE. THEY MUST BE STRICTLY ADHERED TO WITH NO EXCEPTIONS OR EXPLANATION BECAUSE THEY ARE RULES. PERIOD.> Maybe next time you will be better informed about the rules and understand why your opinions are wrong.

Sincerely,

Most likely everyone who will respond to this post

(I haven't taken the time to read the responses but I'm willing to bet this is somewhat accurate.)

Translation:

i_like_where_thread_going3.jpg

NCL's brochures and website say shorts can be worn in the midship dining room, even for dinner. I also saied on the Epic and saw peope in shorts at dinner in that dining room.

As far as how can anyone dislike anything about a cruise ship- have you sailed on the Epic? The bathroom set up s awful and the cabins are small. However, I liked the rest of the ship and the entertainment made up for it.

But I sailed on the Pride of Aloha and Celebrity Horizon and disliked both of those ships and it was a problem with service on both. But I made the best if the issues we had and still had a good time and actually laugh at it today. You CAN dislike a cruise ship- but still make the best of it.

How could anyone dislike anything about a cruise ship? Cruise ships are awesome in every way
That's funny because I was on this exact cruise and saw people wearing shorts in the dining rooms. The only exception was the Manhattan Room' date=' and there was a sign posted stating that it is viewed as the formal dining room and shorts would not be allowed. What dining room were you attempting?

I had a spa pass, but also found any time I went up to deck 15 there were chairs and loungers available.....

With shows, we had no trouble having our group of six sit together, but we did get there early enough to do so.[/quote']

My husband and I and friends sailed the epic, as regular folks, in a balcony cabin...the ship is for everyone...while my friend and I loved it, our husbands didn;t feel the same....mostly they thought the rooms were to small.

Norwegian is freestyle, there are dress codes in certain restuarants, when we were on the ship, we saw people turned away from the Manhatten Room, the rules are the rules...I was turned away from a restuarant on the Pearl once because they deemed what I had on to be shorts, I didn;t feel they were, but I went back to my cabin and changed...it is what it is....

The entertainment on the ship is far superior to any I have seen on any other ship or line...

Sorry you feel as though you have to communicate via email with people, perhaps if you had given a little more balanced review...

I hope your next cruise experience is better...

I've always wondered why its ok to wear jeans in all of the dining rooms, but only shorts in certain ones. I can understand short shorts .... but Bermuda shorts are almost "dressy" for anyone that resides in Florida or any other tropical climate!

I felt almost no motion....and I was in an M9....everyone is going to have a different experience....I spoke to many people who could not find chairs...

I will think twice about posting again....just too much drama....i wanted to make people aware of what they might not know...

Next cruise will be on Royal...and then back to NCL...but in a suite this time...and no not on the Epic...

Happy Sailings....

Have you sailed in a suite before? I could never see wasting the money .... while I enjoy fine hotels, I just can't see how much of an upgrade it could actually be on a cruise ship. I dunno - maybe I should try it?!

Archived