Another thing to check before you cruise!

In reading the thread by the lady who left her passport at home, it occurred to me to share my mistake which could have been a vacation wrecker. I have a credit card that I use when I vacation. When I presented it to the NCL check-in desk, they couldn't accept it because it would expire before I left the ship. Fortunately we have other credit cards but if we hadn't, it would have been a sad vacation. Now I have an additional thing to check before I cruise.

Barb

Good point! Thats something I never thought of.

Its probably a good idea to check the expiration dates of whatever documents youre bringing as well.. passport, license, green cards, etc..

;)

Excellent idea! That's the least thing you're thinking about while packing & getting all your info (papers) in order is expired dates on ALL your docs & cc. You're too EXCITED!!!!

THANKS!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

In reading the thread by the lady who left her passport at home, it occurred to me to share my mistake which could have been a vacation wrecker. I have a credit card that I use when I vacation. When I presented it to the NCL check-in desk, they couldn't accept it because it would expire before I left the ship. Fortunately we have other credit cards but if we hadn't, it would have been a sad vacation. Now I have an additional thing to check before I cruise.

Barb

That is a great reminder, thank you for sharing!

I will also take it a step farther and remind everyone to contact your credit card company to inform them that you will be traveling out of town (state, country, etc.) so that when you try to use your credit card, it is not denied. DH and I both call on our separate credit card (one for use, one for emergency backup) that way, we know we can have full access to our credit card and we aren't stuck. Just be sure to let them know the ports or cities you will be visiting, the date you leave home and arrive home and any restrictions you want on the card. CC company has asked us if we want a daily restriction on the card use in case it gets compromised. It's nice that they give us the option and they are always appreciative that we call and let them know of our plans, cruise or land locked vacations.

Barb

Wow! That was almost a disaster!

I think I'd be asking the bank why...considering that your card's expiration was DURING your cruise...that they had not yet sent you your new card in the mail!

My CC is thru my credit union and I always have my new card 4-6 weeks BEFORE the old one expires!

I actually just had the CC problem happen yesterday when I tried to book a specialty dinner reservation. My CC expires with month and even tho it is good until the last day of the month, NCL refused it. My husbands worked fine and I still made the reservation. Another weird thing when making the reservation. I could not make reservations for a group of 5. I called NCL and I had to make a reservation for 6 and then I will get a refund of the 10 bucks when we actually go to the restaurant. Weird!!:confused:

Another good reason to travel with multiple cards. I carry at least two and my wife has at least two others. As to calling the bank, I know you should, but we never do, and as you can see we travel alot. We have gotten calls from the bank though if we happen to charge anything large, or lots of little charges quickly.

Great suggestion! Last year we left out of San Juan to the Caribbean and the night before we were in the Walmart there. I went to use my Credit Card and it was denied. I thought it was strange but just used my other one. Next day after we were settled in, I forget how I ended up calling the CC company (they either called or left me a message?) and they had stopped my CC because of purchases being made outside of the US. After getting my ok, they lifted the freeze. Great that they were looking out for me but thank God I was in a port where I could check my emails and messages before leaving. So yes, make sure to call your CC company beforehand to avoid the "excitement" of having to deal with that while on vacation!

Your state ID expires on your birthday. So, close to the birthday, once a year, check all cards' expiration dates and put on the calendar.

Not in all states. Here in NM our driver's license expires the month AFTER our birthday. Example 3/15 birthday means license expires 4/15. I've always appreciated those 30 extra days since I don't usually think of the expiration until the day of my birthday so it's nice to have 30 more days.

But that would still be a good date to check credit card expiration dates.

We always get our new card, though, about a month before the expiration date. So, unless the cruise was longer than 30 days (a possibility), we'd already have the new card.

We have traveled all over the world, 6 of the 7 continents, have used our credit card in more than a dozen countries without a problem and have never contacted our credit card company ahead of time.

Thanks for the tips!!!

Just checked my cc! And just got off the phone with cc company! Actually might have been an issue - considering that the cc has 0 balance and hasn't been used in a while!!! :cool: that could have been an issue! :eek:

Isn't there also a stipulation on your Passport Expiration? I think it has to be good for more than just the end date of your cruise. I guess in case you miss the boat at a port or are detained for health reasons or others. Ours will expire 5 months after the cruise....I'm sure that would be cool...Can't be too careful after what you read...

Isn't there also a stipulation on your Passport Expiration? I think it has to be good for more than just the end date of your cruise. I guess in case you miss the boat at a port or are detained for health reasons or others. Ours will expire 5 months after the cruise....I'm sure that would be cool...Can't be too careful after what you read...

Most countries require that your passport be valid for 6 months from your date of entry into their country - even if it is just for a 1 day visit. Might want to check about yours since it sounds like it will not meet the 6 months requirement.

Most countries require that your passport be valid for 6 months from your date of entry into their country - even if it is just for a 1 day visit. Might want to check about yours since it sounds like it will not meet the 6 months requirement.

I wouldn't say most...some do. Some have a three month rule. Some only require that it still is valid during your stay. If you're going on the typical Caribbean closed loop cruise from the US it isn't an issue.

Anyone with info on passsport expiring 30 days AFTER expected return date? Only to Bermuda and didn't think there would be a problem, but better safe than sorry.

Thank You

Archived